Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prom Hair Bloopers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prom Hair Bloopers
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
I just survived by prom I had a close call for "prom hair hell" A couple of my friends as school were sharing hair horror stories and I thought I would share mine here since my friends thought it was pretty funny.I have bra length & very thick hair. I went to see my stylist to discuss hair styles a couple of weeks BEFORE the prom. She agreed that a half up/half down style would work best with my hair and my dress.The day of the prom my stylist was in a car accident and so the salon called me to offer me a substitute stylist. I had settle for one of the other stylists. I had no choice at that point.I carefully told the stylist what I wanted and then made the horrible mistake of letting the stylist "do her thing".I was horrified when I watech as my hair was teased way beyond big hair size. It was HUGE. Like the stylist had buried a pumkin in the middle of the top. To make matters worse, the bottom of my hair was curled and the curls immediately sagged.So I had this big knot of pouffy teased nest of hair on top of my head with almost stick straight hair at the bottom. It was so horrible that I considered not going to the prom.My mom and I managed to undo the hellish do and mom put an emergency French braid in my hair.A happy ending but only after I spent 2 1/2 hours in the salon, spent $75 dollars and cried my eyes out.My hair looked OK at the Prom and no one knew, but it was touch and go there for awhile!!!!!!UGH. I hope others will share similar stories so I don't feel like the only one that suffered prom hair horrors.Thanks,Tara
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
> this isn't a prom story but it is a Homecoming story (nightmare hair) story. My junior year in highschool I had light auburn colored hair. I did it at home and always used the same color/brand etc. Well, the night before Homecoming I had to work so I asked my mom to pick up my usual haircoloring. When I got home I applied it and went to bed with my hair wet. Well, I woke up the next morning to find my hair was dark-dark-dark auburn on the roots and sporadically throughout the rest of my hair whereas the rest was still light auburn. I was so tired the night before that I had just done the basics when coloring it. You know just the roots and parts that I thought needed it. I had to go to school the next day with what my sister called calico cat hair. It looked just terrible. When I got home that day I dyed it again. Only after that it was all dark auburn. My Homecoming date asked me why I decided to dye my hair purple.
JoLynn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
I have a prom hair story to tell. I used to have this absolutely incredible head of hair. It was almost black, incredibly healthy and thick and all the way down to my knees. Needless to say it was my trademark, and I took great pride in it.For prom I wanted to do something very different for my boyfriend. I wanted to have it put up, but not in just some plain bun, braid, or french twist. I wanted something unique.After spending much time I found a stylist who knew how to work with hair as long as mine.Don't worry, this isn't a hair horror story.That day at the stylist I was there for 4 1/2 hours! My hair was curled, all of my hair was teased (a lot), my hair had about 50 bobby pins put in to hold the whole contraption, and my hair had what must have been almost a bottle of hairspray put in it to keep it together. It was totally stiff like a helmet. A hurricane wouldn't have knocked that sucker apart.I remember my stylist saying as she teased it mercilessly that "don't worry, you'll love it." I kept thinking as it was going higher and higher that it was too big, and that this was a huge mistake, pardon the pun.But you know what, I loved it! She was right! The final creation was magnifiscent. You would swear it was a wig or hairpiece or something because something so fabulous seemingly couldn't have been done without cutting my hair. But she didn't have to cut a thing. I just wanted to look at it and touch it for the longest time. When I went home everyone absolutely loved it, and when in my gown with makeup and jewelry I looked like a true princess.So that wasn't the bad part. The bad part was when my boyfriend came to pick me up for the prom he was horrified by it. In fact he absolutely refused to take me unless I immediately went up and washed my hair and returned it to "normal" which was straight and down. I burst out crying but he wouldn't budge. I didn't know what to do so my mom and I went up and washed it out, and spent an hour getting the teasing out. Since we were in a hurry we did it way too fast which ended up with handfuls of hair on the floor. Then we blow dried it, got dressed and went to the prom. We ended up missing dinner and the first hour of the prom. It was a horrible night. Needless to say I dropped Larry as my boyfriend shortly thereafter. What a jerk.But anyway, looking back on it that whole adventure in the beauty salon was the highlight of the prom. I loved having someone do something so totally out of character, totally beyond the norm, and toatlly "not healthy" with my hair. I guess all those years of really taking care of my hair made me ready to go out and do something crazy, but not permanently crazy.I'd recommend anyone, but especially you girls with real long hair who always do the same predictable prom styles, to go out and try something "big" for a change. I wouldn't dare do it often, but that very rare occassion really made a hit.
Cynthia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynthia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
I looked like someone beat me with an ugly stick for my prom. I graduated in 1990, so it was a while ago. It was held in October. Over the summer, I had lost about 45 lbs, so I was ready to look sexy (for the first time in my life). I had a black prom dress very similar to the white one they show Marilyn Monroe wearing in every picture.I wanted an updo to make me look more "romantic".I made 2 mistakes. First, I got my hair done by my mother's hairdresser. Second, I let my mother do my makeup.For my hair, I asked for it to be put up in a loose bun, with pieces coming down around my face.What I got was something very different. It was pulled back tight into a french twist. Then, rather than having loose tendrels framing my face, I had two, VERY tight curls, on either side of my forehead, stiffened with hairspray. It was beyond nasty. It was so late, that there was nothing I could do about it.Then, my makeup. My mother thought, that because I was wearing all black, that I needed some colour. Oh yes people, BLUE EYESHADOW. Not cool, light, funky blue that is cool (ish) now. Bright, yet dark, powder blue. I looked like the BeeGees threw up the '70s all over me.My date just looked, tried to smile, paused and said, "uh, yoou look, um, nice".
stein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
> I read your absolutly fasinating story about your hair beeing teased and styled for 41/2 hour, and the treetment your boyfriend gave you.e should be ashamed !.I cimpletely understand that you domped him !.Have you been teasing your hair ever since then .I hope many girls follow your recomendations, and wisjh them luck. I would like to hear from you!Stein
JoLynn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
Stein, thanks for the response.I have had my hair done several times since then for things like weddings, New Years, etc... Some of the styles involved teasing though not as much as that evening. It's not that I'm not willing to any more, it's just that since that prom the lady who did my hair retired and I haven't found anyone who knows how to do these styles any more. The ones I've gone to have been pretty good but just aren't up to snuff on these styles. I even showed one a picture of my prom hair from that night and she was amazed and had no idea how to copy it.Plus I think with how much hair I have (It's still down almost to my waist) many people are afraid of working with that much hair.I don't tease my hair everyday or such. It never would have grown as long as it is by doing that, but on the special occassion I don't mind at all.Tell me about your experiences,hair likes, etc...
stein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
> JoLynn:I am sorry I didn't read your respons sooner, but yesterday I "was on the net" and read it.Thanks for your reply.I would very much like to tell you about my hair-likes and so on, but would prefere to use E-mail for that reason.It is easier to detect that you have "got mail" than finding it on this page, and it is bore direct from me to you.What do you say !E mail adress; s-hallgr@online.noStein
stein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> I am sorry I didn't read your respons sooner, but> yesterday I "was on the net" and read it.> Thanks for your reply.> I would very much like to tell you about my hair-likes> and so on, but would prefere to use E-mail.> It is easier to detect that you (or I) have "got> mail" than finding it on this page, and it is> more (not bore) direct from me to you.> What do you say !> E mail adress; s-hallgr@online.no> Stein
Teryn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:09pm
THis isn't a horrible story like the majority of others. It actually has a happy ending!I had the perfect idea for what type of hairstyle i wanted for prom, and already had an appointment at the salon. My prom was a week after everyone else's, so i decided to go to the mall to see what kind of hairstyles all the girls had. Much to my horror, the first two dozen girls i saw all had the same exact hairstyle as the one i wanted! The funniest thing is that later that night on the news, they showed a picture of my hairstyle for ideas.I ran home right afterwards in a complete panic and started ripping through magazines and anything else with pictures of hair in it.My sister finally offered to do my hair and showed me how it would look. I reluctantly agreed and had her do my hair on the day of prom.When i saw it i was so mad! She showed me a picture and it was supposed to be a mass of curls and elegant! To me, my hair looked like someone just slapped some curls here and there.The funniest thing is, when i got to the prom, i had all of these people coming up and complimenting it! Someone even took a picture because she liked it so much. My prom date couldn't stop playing with it either.I guess maybe i should trust my sister more...
Laci View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:09pm
Ok, this is ging to be my very first formal dance (its Homecoming)and I need a hair do for the occasion. This is a description of my hair ... Blonde with highlights, below bra long, no bangs, and straight. I think I really want a up do, but I'd really appreciate any kinds of advice. Thank you bunches!LaciP.S. Email me if you have any ideas cause I don't get to get on very often besides to check my mail! Its lacilovell@hotmail.com! Thanks agian!
Mike Smith View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
> I have a prom hair story to tell. I used to have this> absolutely incredible head of hair. It was almost> black, incredibly healthy and thick and all the way> down to my knees. Needless to say it was my trademark,> and I took great pride in it.> For prom I wanted to do something very different for> my boyfriend. I wanted to have it put up, but not in> just some plain bun, braid, or french twist. I wanted> something unique.> After spending much time I found a stylist who knew> how to work with hair as long as mine.> Don't worry, this isn't a hair horror story.> That day at the stylist I was there for 4 1/2 hours!> My hair was curled, all of my hair was teased (a lot),> my hair had about 50 bobby pins put in to hold the> whole contraption, and my hair had what must have been> almost a bottle of hairspray put in it to keep it> together. It was totally stiff like a helmet. A> hurricane wouldn't have knocked that sucker apart.> I remember my stylist saying as she teased it> mercilessly that "don't worry, you'll love> it." I kept thinking as it was going higher and> higher that it was too big, and that this was a huge> mistake, pardon the pun.> But you know what, I loved it! She was right! The> final creation was magnifiscent. You would swear it> was a wig or hairpiece or something because something> so fabulous seemingly couldn't have been done without> cutting my hair. But she didn't have to cut a thing. I> just wanted to look at it and touch it for the longest> time. When I went home everyone absolutely loved it,> and when in my gown with makeup and jewelry I looked> like a true princess.> So that wasn't the bad part. The bad part was when my> boyfriend came to pick me up for the prom he was> horrified by it. In fact he absolutely refused to take> me unless I immediately went up and washed my hair and> returned it to "normal" which was straight> and down. I burst out crying but he wouldn't budge. I> didn't know what to do so my mom and I went up and> washed it out, and spent an hour getting the teasing> out. Since we were in a hurry we did it way too fast> which ended up with handfuls of hair on the floor.> Then we blow dried it, got dressed and went to the> prom. We ended up missing dinner and the first hour of> the prom. It was a horrible night. Needless to say I> dropped Larry as my boyfriend shortly thereafter. What> a jerk.> But anyway, looking back on it that whole adventure in> the beauty salon was the highlight of the prom. I> loved having someone do something so totally out of> character, totally beyond the norm, and toatlly> "not healthy" with my hair. I guess all> those years of really taking care of my hair made me> ready to go out and do something crazy, but not> permanently crazy.> I'd recommend anyone, but especially you girls with> real long hair who always do the same predictable prom> styles, to go out and try something "big"> for a change. I wouldn't dare do it often, but that> very rare occassion really made a hit.You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of this style you had would you? I have a Daughter that is a Senior this year and that would be a great way to finish her Senior year.
JoLynn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
I don't have any pictures because with the way my boyfriend acted the pictures came after I washed it out. I can try to describe it, as best as I remember. It was curled first, then teased a great deal all over my head so when pinned up it never layed flat against my head anywhere. It wasn't as poofy on the sides as Jane Seymour in "Somewhere in time" but close. It was drawn up in the back high to the back of my head. The front was parted on the side and arched up and then down again towards one eye then back up into the crown (kind of like Dolly Parton used to wear long ago when she was young.) The individual lengths of hair where then rolled into curls that were then pinned starting down at the base of my neck in the back and then kept going higher and higher. The finished height was about the same as Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady." but from the back looked even higher since the curls started so low. As I said it took a tremendous amount of pinning and hair spray to hold it all. I beleive it would have held all night but I never got the chance to find out.I believe you daughter would love the style if the gown is right. It takes a lot of hair and a lot of time. Don't rush taking it down like I did either. Keep me informed.
JoLynn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
After reading through my response one correction and clarification and better description. The curls didn't start at the back of the neck but at the top of my neck at the hairline. The clarification is how she made so many individual curls. Since each strand was so long and full from all the teasing, she made a curl using about 1/3 of the length, pinned it, sprayed it, then used the next 1/3 for another seperate pinned next to the first, then the bottom 1/3 for yet another curl, again pinned next to or over the first two. The result was each strand of hair made 3 seperate curls, and the overall effect was seemingly countless numbers of curls piled higher and higher on top of each other. On top the base was VERY HEAVILY (!!!) teased and sprayed to create lots of height and folded over itself. I was very nervous at this point because I had never teased my hair at all, much less this severely, nor seen my friends tease theirs to this degree. She really went after it but was still very gentle. That I believe is very important, especially with the length we were dealing with. At the moment I thought it was too much but in the end it all fit beautifully. Then the individual strand curls (again using one strand to make 3 seperate curls)were piled on top of this high base about 3 layers high. The result was far more height than could be accomplished by teasing, or stacking alone. The stylist said this style couldn't possibly be done with hair shorter than waist length without also using hair pieces. Since mine was thick and to my knees at the time she had plenty of hair. The finished style was remarkably secure due to the time she took and the many pins she used, and the gobs of stiff-stiff hair spray. Even knowing how much hair I had you would swear she added hairpieces because of the number of individual curls involved. Again, that was because each strand made 3 curls, so it had 3 times the number of curls the normal type of updo like this would have.Whew!!! That is about as descriptive as I can get of this whole thing without having a picture available. If your daughter does have something similar done I'd love to see a picture. I bet many hair sights would like to see sequence photos of the entire creation being done.
stein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
Do you still tease your hair sometimes, or do you sometimes wish that you had shoryter hair so that you could tease it every day.If so why don't you cut your hair and start teasing it ?
JoLynn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
I sometimes, for very special occassions, tease my hair but nothing like that prom style, just a little here or there for effect. If the right occassion came up I would be willing to do this type of style again. Perhaps if I was getting married, a Halloween costume, a very elegant ball, etc... It just would be very out of place if it weren't in the right environment. I absolutely love my long hair and have no plans on cutting it and don't need to even if I did want to tease it every day. I have no desire to do that every day anyway. I like doing all kinds of variety with my hair, and teasing is just one option, not the only one. The fun is having all this hair and having variety in how I wear it.
stein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
I am shure you have a fantastic hair, and I compeltely understand that you wants to keep it long with all the posibilities that gives you.It is a shame that you had no picture of your prom hair, but the discription you gave was very good, so I almost could "see" you when I colsed my eys.Let us here when you are getting marrid, or whenever you are creating something "big" with your hair.Stein
Joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:13pm
> I sometimes, for very special occassions, tease my> hair but nothing like that prom style, just a little> here or there for effect. If the right occassion came> up I would be willing to do this type of style again.> Perhaps if I was getting married, a Halloween costume,> a very elegant ball, etc... It just would be very out> of place if it weren't in the right environment. I> absolutely love my long hair and have no plans on> cutting it and don't need to even if I did want to> tease it every day. I have no desire to do that every> day anyway. I like doing all kinds of variety with my> hair, and teasing is just one option, not the only> one. The fun is having all this hair and having> variety in how I wear it.that's great for you keep it long you have many options to do with it for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic