Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blonde Ambition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blonde Ambition
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:08pm
Hmm...worst hair story? There are so many to choose from...but probably the worst episode occurred when I was a junior in high school.I was infatuated with a gorgeous guy, who had blue eyes and jet black hair. My infatuation was so severe that I decided I should have jet black hair, also. However, since I am a redhead with green eyes and white skin, my bottle of "Blue-Black" dye did not do much for me. In fact, I have never looked so bad. It was February, and I was ghostly pale, which the blue-black hair accented in a frightening way. In addition, my eyebrows are a pale strawberry blond, so I had to use black mascara on them. When my roots started coming in (which happened after about a week, it seemed), I had to use black mascara on them as well.I endured the blue-black hair for about a month and then decided it was time to go blonde for spring. However, one cannot go directly from blue-black to platinum blond -- first the black dye must be strippped out of your hair. I purchased a bottle of dye-stripper, and applied it to my hair. After the time was up, I rinsed it out and -- to my horror -- saw that my characteristic hasty approach had backfired.I had not applied the solution evenly, with the result that some parts of my hair were pure white, while others remained blue-black -- or even worse, had turned Bozo-orange. There was nothing I could do -- it was ten o'clock at night and all the stores were closed, so I couldn't buy more stripper. And worst of all, my parents did not consider bad hair as a valid excuse for staying home from school.Locating some red mousse left over from the previous summer's color experiment, I applied it heavily to my hair. Now, all of my hair was varying shades of Bozo-orange, with some black streaks. I prudently decided to wear a hat to school."Cool hat! Can I try it on?" asked a friend. "NO!!!!!" I responded.That afternoon, I purchased more stripper, and stripped my hair once again. Now it was all pure white or an interesting yellow color. I tinted it "Natural Light Golden Blonde" but it was WAY too yellow. Fortunately, I was heading to Florida for spring break, so I spent the next week laying in the sun with a mix of peroxide and lemon juice on my hair. It worked, and I returned with platinum blonde locks.However, all this abuse had taken its toll on my naturally wavy hair. It lay limp and lifeless, close to my head, and refused to fluff up for the "big hair" look so popular back then. Even worse, this was right about the same time that Madonna changed her look for the first time -- shedding her long, curly, untidy style for a short, head-hugging -- you guessed it! -- platinum blonde 'do.When I returned to school after spring break, with my new short, head-hugging, platinum blonde style, the first thing everyone said was "You copied Madonna!""That's absurd!" I responded. "Madonna has long, curly, streaky brown hair with a bow it in!" I hadn't seen the new issue of ROLLING STONE yet...but someone was glad to show it to me."No!" I screamed. "I had it FIRST! She copied ME!" But my protests fell on deaf ears, and I was known as "The Wanna-Be" for the next month or two, until I decided to dye my hair a deep, burgundy auburn. My reasoning? I was infatuated with a Spanish guy, and I figured he would like redheads...you know, like Lucy and Ricky...Later that summer, my hair began breaking off in chunks, which necessitated a return to the natural look -- and a LOT of deep conditioner! And no, things did not work out with the Spanish guy. Eventually, I stopped letting my passions dictate my hairstyle.
Sally
Coyote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:09pm
>Sally, I can relate to your story.If you hadn't posted this I might have looked like a coon for forever.Thanks a million!!!!!!!!
"Hope is when we feel the pain that
makes us try again" -Chico Science
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic