Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yet Another Stylist Getting Carried Away...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kristen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet Another Stylist Getting Carried Away...
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
I've heard the stories about women getting their long hair chopped short. So I thought I'd share one of my own...Right before homecoming last year, I decided to get a trim. Well, my regular stylist wasn't working that day, so I had to settle for another girl (hey, I was pressed for time and couldn't come back later that week). I told her what I wanted done to my mid-back length curly honey blonde hair: a minimal trim and some long, soft layers in my front. She told me she was going to put a deep conditioner in my hair after she shampooed it, so (stupid me) I got into the mood of the hot water on my head and I closed my eyes and was off to sleepy-land...When I woke up, she was cutting the back of my hair, just finishing up. I saw that she had cut layers in the front...and they seemed a little shortish to me, so I asked her about it. I hadn't had bangs since I was a little girl, so I was a little alarmed at the tiny pieces of hair floating just above my nose. When she finished snipping (right after I had asked my question), she turned me around (facing the mirror), and I looked in horror as I saw my long curly strands on the floor and a completely highlighted blonde Sarah Michelle Gellar style on my face. She had highlighted my honey blonde hair because she, "thought a change would be nice". Needless to say, I didn't tip her very well...in fact, I refused to pay and I let her have a BIG piece of my mind. Yelling at her let out my anger, but I was still very dissapointed with my long and "au natural" look being turned into a "fake and tackily trendy" style. I cried for a long time...One of the worst things about it was that my hair had never been touched by chemicals before, so the highlights shocked my hair, and turned it straight in some places, while it held its curl in others. My homecoming date tried to be nice while he smiled and told me I looked beautiful, I could tell he was thinking the thing everyone else was thinking..."What did she try to do??? And why did she try to do it while she was drunk, applying bleach and cutting her own hair with her feet?!?!?!" To get my hair to stay up for Homecoming, they had to use about 3 1/2 cans of Aquanet (yes, Aquanet) on it, because the short layers kept on falling out. I swear, I cried almost the entire time.
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
Just a friendly question: Why didn't you sue her? She must have cut off at least three or four years of growth. You probably could have at least gotten the market value of your hair (had you sold it to a wigmaker) out of her, and even if you didn't get that, the whole ordeal would have been professionally very embarassing for her. (She would probably never work as a haridresser again.) I feel very sorry for you. Your hair (before the cut) sounds like a slightly shorter version of mine. Just the thought of someone doing that to my hair makes me cringe. (My friends used to jokingly take advantage of this "cringe factor" by joking around about how they were going to put a temoprary blue streak in my hair while one day while I was alseep. I know that the look on my face had to be priceless.) Hope your hair is well on its way to fixing itself.Erika
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
> well i'am realy sorry about you'r hair it sounds very pretty but hello sarah michelle geller has very pretty hair thats why i got mines cut like hers everyone loves it and some people have stoled my hair style so i don't know what the big deal is it probably looks butifule any ways well if u don't i hope u feel better. and i had my hair like you'rs but i did it and it look's good well whatever u probably don't care.well bye
deBBi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deBBi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
> I've heard the stories about women getting their long> hair chopped short. So I thought I'd share one of my> own...> Right before homecoming last year, I decided to get a> trim. Well, my regular stylist wasn't working that> day, so I had to settle for another girl (hey, I was> pressed for time and couldn't come back later that> week). I told her what I wanted done to my mid-back> length curly honey blonde hair: a minimal trim and> some long, soft layers in my front. She told me she> was going to put a deep conditioner in my hair after> she shampooed it, so (stupid me) I got into the mood> of the hot water on my head and I closed my eyes and> was off to sleepy-land...> When I woke up, she was cutting the back of my hair,> just finishing up. I saw that she had cut layers in> the front...and they seemed a little shortish to me,> so I asked her about it. I hadn't had bangs since I> was a little girl, so I was a little alarmed at the> tiny pieces of hair floating just above my nose. When> she finished snipping (right after I had asked my> question), she turned me around (facing the mirror),> and I looked in horror as I saw my long curly strands> on the floor and a completely highlighted blonde Sarah> Michelle Gellar style on my face. She had highlighted> my honey blonde hair because she, "thought a> change would be nice". Needless to say, I didn't> tip her very well...in fact, I refused to pay and I> let her have a BIG piece of my mind. Yelling at her> let out my anger, but I was still very dissapointed> with my long and "au natural" look being> turned into a "fake and tackily trendy"> style. I cried for a long time...> One of the worst things about it was that my hair had> never been touched by chemicals before, so the> highlights shocked my hair, and turned it straight in> some places, while it held its curl in others. My> homecoming date tried to be nice while he smiled and> told me I looked beautiful, I could tell he was> thinking the thing everyone else was> thinking..."What did she try to do??? And why did> she try to do it while she was drunk, applying bleach> and cutting her own hair with her feet?!?!?!" To> get my hair to stay up for Homecoming, they had to use> about 3 1/2 cans of Aquanet (yes, Aquanet) on it,> because the short layers kept on falling out. I swear,> I cried almost the entire time.
deBBi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deBBi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
i find this an ironic story. I am a hairstylist and I am sorry if I offend you but "come on". For one, I hardly believe that you fell asleep hard enough to not realize that she was highlighting you. If you were with a good hairstylist she would of discussed with you what you wanted. There are very few hairstylist out there that would not wake you up to ask what you wanted. I am very sorry to hear about your hair but don't let vainity get the best of you.
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
Hi DeBBi,Well, in a situation like this one, on a message board if you doubt a person's post or otherwise find it strange, you might as well be nice to the person if the post is reporting that something bad has happened to them. First, the situation that they may or may not be in has no real beraing on your life, and second, it might have actually happened the way they told it. Since it doesn't really matter to you and you might be able to help a person through a difficult time if you are nice to them, you either lose nothing (by responding to a false message which doesn't matter as if it were true - because it doesn't matter you lose nothing) or you come out ahead (by taking a chance to be nice to someone who really needs a kind word or two.)Erika> i find this an ironic story. I am a hairstylist and I> am sorry if I offend you but "come on". For> one, I hardly believe that you fell asleep hard enough> to not realize that she was highlighting you. If you> were with a good hairstylist she would of discussed> with you what you wanted. There are very few> hairstylist out there that would not wake you up to> ask what you wanted. I am very sorry to hear about> your hair but don't let vainity get the best of you.
JT View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:12pm
Very well said.
Lorie N View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorie N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:12pm
first of all to a stylist getting carried away, don't fall asleep, this means you are comfortable with the person, and that you trust them...I am a hairstylist, and cant see when the other girls are cutting my hair, so I have to trust them... please talk to your stylist and be specific that you dont want color.. she should have asked you before attempting any major changes for you,,if a stylist just starts doing something with out your permission or doesnt' tell you what is going on, get out of her chair....before she starts to cut, or anything else. Alwaays make sure you communicate the whole time, dont fall asleep.!!!
Joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:13pm
> first of all to a stylist getting carried away, don't> fall asleep, this means you are comfortable with the> person, and that you trust them...> I am a hairstylist, and cant see when the other girls> are cutting my hair, so I have to trust them... please> talk to your stylist and be specific that you dont> want color.. she should have asked you before> attempting any major changes for you,,if a stylist> just starts doing something with out your permission> or doesnt' tell you what is going on, get out of her> chair....before she starts to cut, or anything else.> Alwaays make sure you communicate the whole time, dont> fall asleep.!!!yes i agree lori
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic