Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP FOR ALL! :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP FOR ALL! :)
    Posted: June 11 2000 at 12:34am
Hello all! I'm Eva, 26, and I have advice/help for (hopefully) all of you blessed and cursed with naturally curly hair. I have done everything to my hair, hated it until about 8 years ago, and can tell you what has and has NOT worked for me. Although I'm caucasian, my hair is rather dry and, my stylist tells me, much more like "ethnic" hair. My curls are FINALLY under control, and I urge any of you having difficulties to contact me for help. I have been approached many times with offers to sell my hair (NEVER), model for salons (pretending my hair was permed by them!), etc. So, I finally have the beautiful hair I always wanted. OK, here goes: over the years, I've compared about 50 products, and have settled for 3 which work incredibly well. I use: Salon Selectives Mousse (yes, the cheap stuff really is better)... use A LOT of this product on very wet, combed hair and you will have beautiful ringlets. Work the mousse through sections of your hair (I divide mine into left, right, and top) starting at your scalp, making sure you have coated your hair, in large sections for big ringlets, smaller sections for more curls, etc., from root to end. Once you have a very heavy head of wet mousse-coated hair (I wear an old t-shirt while I do this, as my hair is waist-length), dry your hair, upside-down, with a diffuser. Try not to touch your hair while your're drying it because the curls will turn to frizz. Once it's fairly dry (it takes me 30 minutes, but I do this only twice a week), either leave it alone for awhile OR, if you are in a humid climate: spray Aussie 12-Hour Hair Spray over all your hair. It's kind of sticky at first, but let it dry and DON'T touch your hair. Once all this craziness is over, and your hair is dry, run the palms of your hands over your hair from root to end. This will serve to "de-crunch" it and make it very shiny and also to smooth and divide the curls. Once it's dry, feel free to separate curls, but only from root to end (or you will have frizz). WHEW! Almost done... If you want your hair to stay pretty for more than the day (and, trust me, you don't want to do this every day), spray your hair lightly with Pantene Hair Spray that contains "elastisse." It really does hold your curls and style together with a lot of flexibility... you probably won't even feel the spray in your hair. Unless your hair is very oily or actually dirty, don't wash it more than other every day. It doesn't need it. Conditioner is great, but adds to frizz. What I do to condition my hair is wash it at night (or in the afternoon, whatever) and leave a heavy conditoner in over-night (i put it up in a bun so it's not messy). Then, before going to work, all I have to do is rinse it in the shower and do the whole routine as described above. Believe me, this wacked-out way of styling my hair is more than worth it, and it takes practice. I have the whole thing down to 40 minutes, which comes out to about 11&1/2 minutes a day because I only need to do it twice a week. To keep it from getting all crazy while I sleep, I just use a loose scrunchi to hold it very loosely on top of my head and it doesn't disturb the curls. Good luck to all, and please let me know if you try this how it works for you, and if you have questions on straightening, thinning, coloring, etc., let me know! ~Eva
c_bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2000 at 2:25pm
Hi! and thanks for that wonderful advice from this posting!!! Hopefully it will work for me also.
I am also blessed with curly hair and don`t know where in the world I get it from because I am Danish and Norwegian!!! so anyways!
I was wondering if you could give me advice on the folowing since you are so good at that, that would be appretiated!-straightening, and ideas on what to do with my hair since last May I cut my long curly hair as short or shoter than Keri Russels` and now I am growing it out again and it`s in that dreaded inbetween stage!!!
Please help!

thank you sooooooooooo much!

Claire :)
curly-headed gurl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic