Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

product help for curly hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: product help for curly hair
    Posted: January 04 2003 at 5:44pm
Hi. I have finally (after 27 years) decided to stop fighting my curly/wavy hair. It is dark brown and thick with ringlets on top and less curly waves underneath. My routine is to wash with Biolage moisturizing shampoo and conditioner about every three days or so. For the last couple of days I have been getting out of the shower and wrapping my head in a towel for about ten minutes, putting in Paul Mitchell`s "The Conditioner", and then letting it air dry. The problem is that I have the halo effect - anyone with curly hair knows what this is - those little wispy hairs that just float around your head and never seem to settle no matter what you do. I have been told by another curly- headed friend that I need to use a gel. She told me that she uses Biolage`s Gelee. I am going to try mixing whatever gel I get with some leave-in conditioner and putting that in a spray bottle. My question is - what recommendations do you have for good "non-crunchy" gels that won`t dry out my hair? - and if anyone has a hair routine that they think would work better than what I have outlined here - by all means - please feel free to leave it. Thanks a lot,
AMY
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2003 at 9:17pm
Hi Amy. I use Tresemme European Slick gel to straighten my naturally wavy hair, BUT when I use it and just air dry it gives great definition and cuts the frizz down to almost zero. It`s moisturizing and has a fabulously smooth, natural hold. I love, love, love the stuff and it is unparalleled to all the products I`ve tried before, AND it costs $3! (I know I`m getting a little excited here......but hey it`s good stuff.) Good luck with whatever you decide to try :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2003 at 10:42pm
Hey, it`s Amy again. I forgot to ask about recommendations for once a week deep conditioners - something aside from my regular conditioner to use once in a while to really moisturize and "silkify" my hair.

Thanks again
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2003 at 10:55am
Hi again Amy. Some of the best conditioners I`ve found in all my years of searching:

Frizz Ease Glistening Creme

Mizani Moisturefuse Conditioner

Biotera Moisturizing conditioner (a Biolage rip-off but actually better than the name brand)

Jherri Redding Professional Prescription Humidifier (HEAVY duty...only use if you`ve got really dry hair)

I buy those last two at Sally Beauty. None of these claim to be a "deep conditioner" but that`s because there is no difference between a daily and "intense" conditioner. None! It is just a marketing ploy: the ingredients are so similar in conditioners across the board that the best way to quench your hair weekly is to slather on the conditioner and wrap your head in a heating cap or warm towel. Remember: the longer you keep a conditioner on your hair, the better the conditioning agents will cling to the hair shaft, thus softening the individual cuticle.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2003 at 1:25pm
Hey! My fave product is John Frieda`s Dream Curls- its a spray activator/ gel that you can scrunch in and get get, defined curls without frizz. Another great product is Citre-Shine finishing spray- you only have to use a little, and it gives you a great, shiny, no-frizz finish. Hope this helps!

Love,
Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2003 at 11:21pm
Hey There!
I am a product junkie when it comes to my curls and I also happen to be a hairstylist.
To keep from having the halo effect, try a product with dimethicone in it, like Redken Glass or Paul Micthcell Gloss Drops. As far as a gel, they can be helpful but you must be careful not to get one that is too stiff. Curls need to be able to move and change positions thoughout the day. So try a soft gel like Aguage Defining Gel (which is made for curls, I LOVE It), Biolage Glaze, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Lotion, Iso Multiplicity Tousle, or Redken Contour Lotion.
I am constantly trying new products but by far I love Aquage Defing Gel the best!! Most of the Aquage line is geared toward natural curl. It Is AWESOME!!!

Happy Curls To You!!!
Lisa :)
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2003 at 12:03am
Lisa - Thanks for the info - where do you find the Aquage line? I live in ... well three states actually throughout the year - Maryland, Oregon, and Washington. Thanks again.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2003 at 10:22pm
Hi
Aqauge is a fairly new line. It is only about 3 years old. I would call around your area to different salons and ask. If they don`t ask them if they Know who does.

Good Luck!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic