Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

natural

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: natural
    Posted: April 28 2003 at 3:19pm
I've noticed that lots of girls with curly hair slave over straightening it every single day. I'm not saying that's bad at all but I like having curly hair and I try and encourage others to wear their hair the way nature gave it to them. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the fact that in general, people with straight hair seem to want curly hair and people with curly hair seem to want straight hair. I've got to admit that it's fun once in a while but I was just thinking about what makes people want to change the way their hair naturally is.
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
SnowWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 3:49pm
It could be that the grass is always greener on the other side. I think that lots of times we aren't satisfied with what we have (hair, car, house, bf/gf, etc) and so we try to change it or improve it. Lots of times we go by someone else's standard of what is best or beautiful. It's hard to accept what you have if you think something else is better. Me...I love my curly hair and wouldn't change it for anything. However, I'd like a newer, nicer car. :)
?/35.5/ tailbone
curly hair
<><
Katie Scarlett View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Scarlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 1:54pm
Oh I completely agree! I spent the first 15 years of my life straightening my hair (which was a while ago & the chemicals were much more damaging) and the last 20 years just letting the curl do what it wants. Now I love my curly hair--it's the first thing people notice about me, it's what people remember most about me--it's definitely my most unique characteristic & I wouldn't change it for anything.
cara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2003 at 6:52pm
When I was in late high school and college it was THE thing to have straight hair, and of course mine wasn't! I did several things to straighten it, beginning with the largest size rollers that I would sleep in-ouch! Then I moved on to a home straightening kit-which gave my naturally dark brown-black hair a rusty cast, and didn't do too much for its condition either. But I didn't know any better at the time. Later it was a solid 30-minute blow-drying session every time I washed my below shoulder-length hair! And forget it if it was humid out, which on the East coast it is alot of the time! It wasn't until I was about 27 or so, while living in NYC, that I found a hair salon that specialized in wavy-curly hair. I found that salon by way of a magazine article about naturally curly haired women, that featured hair about the same texture as mine. Well, that did it! At the time my hair was below shoulder-length, with the long blow-drying time mentioned above, as my hair is pretty thick, and I was up for a positive change. I booked an appointment right away, tossed my rollers and blow-dryer, and have never looked back. That was nearly 30 years ago! Over the years, I've gotten all kinds of compliments about my hair, and best of all, I can just work some gel through it, scrunch and go. The style is short-but-not-too-short, so it looks feminine and appealing. Actually, now, I wish it would curl more, as the arid climate I live in now, tends to straighten loose curls. So I do find myself using more gel to curl it up. But when it does rain, or I go out to the Coast to the beach, my hair loves it and curls up even more!
Vicki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2003 at 9:23pm
Amen sista,
It took me a loooong time, but I've finally stopped fighting with my hair, and now I LOVE having curly hair. I have women come up to me in the store and ask where I get my perms, and when I tell then it's natural, they turn green with envy. For those of you out there who are still trying to straighten your beautiful curls, make peace with them. Enjoy them! When you learn to just let them have their way, you'll love them too.
Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2003 at 10:42am
Curly hair looks better on females than males if you ask me.
Look at Julia Roberts and Sarah Jessica Parker; they both look a 10000 times better with curly hair than straight.
Can you imagine Brad Pitt or George Clooney wearing their hair curly?
Men with curly hair look so old fashion. Isnot it the sixties look?
Blijf luisteren naar je lichaam en haar!
chelsy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 7:35pm
I agree with you on this. I am a slave to my hair. I've tried many times to accept my kinky curls. I let my hair grow out natural but then it gets so difficult to tame that I opt out for a relaxer, then hair dye, then finally I cut it all off and hope that the Halle Berry cut looks just as good on me.

I am now trying once again to accept my hair as it is naturally. I bought many natural products for my hair. I have to stay away from the blow dryer and gels. My husband hates it and wants me to relax it but I'd rather wear a wig. I have to stop this vicious cycle. I can only be free when I accept what God gave me.
Molly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 6:21pm
When I was little I had curly hair. It was very pretty and I loved it. Well when i was about 6 or 7 it went out, now I am 13 stuck with straight hair with a little wave to it. I hate it! I wish I had curly hair like I used to! If any one has any advise email me at molkat@hotmail.com! Thankyou!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic