Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10 year old fighting curly hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ronda22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronda22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 year old fighting curly hair
    Posted: July 28 2003 at 12:00pm
My daughter is 10 years old and has GORGEOUS naturally curly hair, yep, you guessed it, she HATES it!!! i dont have curly hair, she got it from her father, so i need some advice on how to help her. she obviuosly wants straight hair like all the irls her age. I have tried sleek look by matrix and i like it, but you need to use a blowdryer with a flat brush everyday.
my question is: her hair on top is straight, its the ends that go curly. if it gets thinned out by a hairdresser will it help it to be straighter ??? because the bottom gets heavy, it tends to curl more. and what is a good sut for curly hair? is it wise to have it layered or should it be a bob? right now hers is shoulder length with some layers, and she has asked for it to be cut one length. this sounds like a good idea, but should she have it thinned??????
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 12:21pm
There is another board/forum on this site called "Straight Talk ( Get the straight talk on hair straightening products & techniques )". There is a lot of good advice over there regarding straightening. You might want to scan those posts and search the old posts as well.

I don't know if thinning out would help - I'm not a hairdresser or anything. I think the best thing would be to ask a hairdresser. You might be able to find a hairdresser (or two) amongst the forums here at hairboutique.com as well.

Good luck.
Caramia
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 12:09am
I totaly understand her. I'm 12 years old and have the same hair as her. Go ahead and let her try going straight for a while to see how she likes it. If she doesn't, you can always change it back. also, more weight on curly hair ussaly makes it less curly. Also, straight hair is way eaisier to handle.I've gone straight before and I loved it. I still love my curley hair. Just listen to your daughter and let her explore new things.
~Leslie~
ajcobbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajcobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 1:19pm
I'm 27 years old and have fought my natural curly locks since birth. I'm biracial, so my locks are dry thick and course. I had my hair chemically straighten by a professional (using relaxers) for years. The problem with my hair being straighten was that since i have curly hair, I had to have her put the relaxer on ALL of my hair even though it looked gorgous, it made it drier. (I know this because she once tried to only put in on the scalp and it ended up straight at the roots and wavy on the ends). I have to say though, personally I get more complaments on my hair now(I let it curl back up) than I did when it was straight.

If she MUST get it straighten get it done by someone who knows what their doing. Try a stylist who works on ethnic hair, they know what chemicals to use for relaxing curls.

I strongly recommend though that you try to wait as long as possible, chemically straightening my hair has thinned mine out, I did it from 1994-1999. My stylist told me since my hair was so thick she had to apply relaxers every 6-8 weeks on the whole head instead of every 6-8 weeks on only the new growth. That made my hair thin. I'm not going bald are anything like that, but my hair is not a thick as it used to be.

I now wear it curly and long. Maybe to my bra strap, remeber the longer your hair is when it is curly the more it pulls down and the eaiser it is to tame. I used Pantene Hydrating Curls Shampoo and Conditioner. I then comb it out with a wide tooth comb, and use a thick moussee like Rave, or Sauve (make sure what you use has little or not alcohol, it makes your hair frizz) run the wide tooth comb through it again to seperate the curls and then try Making Waves Curl Defining Texturizer, by Graham Webb ( Found in Salons, kind of expensive) Use a little of this, its like a gel, it holds the curls together wonderfully!

Another thing, Please do not take her to get her hair "thinned out". I did that once also and it was a disaster!! They take these shears and it cuts the inner layers of your hair. I had little hairs sticking up all over my head for like a year while I let it grow back.

Let me know what you decide to do!!

------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
Wise men talk because they have
something to say; fools, because
they have to say something.

Plato
paulaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 12:56am
Ronda:

I hope that I'm not too late to help. I just found this forum today, and I'm trying to help as many people as possible that have the curly hair blues. We are NEVER happy with what we were born with (i.e. my hair is VERY straight), while my daughter has GORGEOUS curls, read on...

Curly hair is not a curse, it's all about the right products and the patience to take care of it.

My daughter has natural, beautiful long curly hair (much like Halle Berry's new look). It took quite a bit of time for us to figure out how to work with it, but one of the best websites we've found is http://www.ouidad.com. This site lets you do a profile, and them picks the products that would be most beneficial to you. A bit on the expensive side, but well worth the money if you really want to love your curls.

Also, find someone who specializes in cutting curly hair and is in high demand. My daughter and I recently found a woman in Huntington Beach, CA, who is in constant demand for her talents regarding curly hair cuts.

The Ouidad website also helps you to find salons and stylists in your area who have gone to school or specialize in Ouidad's "slice and dice" cuts.

For anyone in the Orange County, California, area who is looking for a superb stylist, let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with the information that you're looking for.

Good luck,
Paula F
shirley curly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirley curly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 10:10pm
i remember when i was her age/younger now im 13
sumtimes curly hair can be a total drag but i wouldent let her do it perminatly only because 1 day she will love it i mean look at all the hott styles they have just let it grow in time she will come out of the habit of hateing it i kno i did i used to cry to my mom in the tub saying it wasent long she would wet it an pull it then it would be long (lol) but at the age of 6/ or 7 i started getting complaments on how beautiful my hair was and all thats when i learned to luv it anyways if she really wants it straightend try buying one of thos straighteners my friends all use then and im planing on buying 1 for me for x-mas hope i have helped

~shirley curly~
Keyona B. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keyona B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 10:21am
I feel all ya'll with curly hair. I'm 11 years old and I am mixed with naturally curly hair. A lot of people envy me because of my hair but they don't know how hard it is to do my hair every morning. I like my hair but it's just so puffy to me that I hate to leave it down anymore. Now I just pull it back into a ponytail every morning. I really wanna straighten it and my mom and my grandma are trying to find something to straighten it with but we are so scared about what my hair will look like when it's straight. I am trying to research what mixed people's hair looks like straightened and I haven't had any luck.
Ceedee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 12:37pm
I have a 10 year old daughter also who has BEAUTIFUL, thick, long, wavy, flaxen hair. I have very curly/kinky hair and have fought with it my whole life. My daughter's dad has straight hair so in my opinion she got the best of both worlds. She absolutely HATES her hair!! She says it's "puffy" and wants it poker straight like all the kids in her grade who have lank, lifeless (awful) hair!! She wears it in a ponytail constantly and I am always begging her to take the ponytail out and let her beautiful hair flow. On special occasions I will flat iron it for her and she looks very much like Avril Lavigne then, and loves it. I swear that when she's older she will love her hair, but then again - we don't appreciate what we have, do we? As for me, I've been struggling with the decision as to whether to have my hair permanently straighened with a Japanese perm. I can't imagine what it's like when the roots grow out wavy, then curly. Then there's the fact that I am 50% grey and those roots will show up a lot more quickly once my hair is straight. My boyfriend prefers it straight so I'm tempted to do it permanently, but in the meantime I just ordered the full range of Ouidad products from the website someone noted above. I'll let you know how it goes...

Just found this site today and am enjoying the reading...and also knowing that I'm not alone. Our hair so important to us...silly, but true!!!
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 7:41am
Keyona, you could buy or borrow one of your friends flat irons to see how you'd look with straight hair. That way it's not permanent and you can see if you like your hair straight or not.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic