Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Layers - Good or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Firefly Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefly Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Layers - Good or not?
    Posted: May 14 2003 at 4:24pm
My stylist told me that fine hair should avoid layers because it makes the hair look "see through" and paperthin. She said that if you do go w/ layers it should be very few and they should be well-placed?

Any comments on this? Do you find this true or not?

Firefly
bluebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 8:59am
I have very fine hair and have layers all throughout. It's cut in a tapered bob (shorter in back going slightly longer at the front)

I think the secret is having a good stylist. I've been going to her for years...she is worth her weight in gold! I suggested the layers after reading about it a styling magazine.

The layers add thickness because I can curl the different lengths either up or under and tuck the front behind my ears.

bluebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 9:02am
P.S. My layers are very subtle, they're all over but she blends them well.
Heather kz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heather kz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:54am
Hi,

I have long fine hair and I find that layers work well for me. If my hair is all one length, it just seems to lay there. Since I started putting a few layers in my hair, the possibilities are endless! My hair has more movement and volume. I agree with bluebee that it all depends on your stylist.

Good Luck
Heather
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 8:04pm
I have to say that layers have never, ever worked for me. I think it must have to do with how thick your hair is. Mine is very straight and very thin and layers just fall flat and make my hair look wispy (not in a good way). I have tried every styling product there is without any kind of good result so I always end up growing my hair back to a bob that is pretty much one length. Right now I do have a small amount of layering in the back (actually I think it is called stacking) because I have a short inverted bob but I am trying to get it to all one length and maybe just above shoulders because that is how it looks best. It swings nicely and stays looking styled rather than stringy. My daughter has fine hair that is thicker hair than mine but she looks better with all one length too.

If your hair is thick or has some waves it could work if the layering is very subtle. Also, if you live in a humid climate forget it! I have done the hairspray helmet thing but I really hated that.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic