Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damaged Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chris7856 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7856 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damaged Hair
    Posted: October 31 2003 at 1:16pm
I think my hair is very damaged, if not dead (is that possible) Anyways I need some suggestions on what I can do to A) make my hair healthier and B) if anything can be done to make my hair stronger. My hair is very very very thin. Because of this, shampooing is very hard on my hair when I shampoo it, it is im possible to do anythign with it just lays there limp. If anyone has any suggestions on what i can do that is easy on my wimp ass hair that will make it better please let me know thanks.
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2003 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by chris7856 chris7856 wrote:

I think my hair is very damaged, if not dead (is that possible) Anyways I need some suggestions on what I can do to A) make my hair healthier and B) if anything can be done to make my hair stronger. My hair is very very very thin. Because of this, shampooing is very hard on my hair when I shampoo it, it is im possible to do anythign with it just lays there limp. If anyone has any suggestions on what i can do that is easy on my wimp ass hair that will make it better please let me know thanks.

Some things to consider:

1. Diluting your shampoo so it is not as hard on your hair. Many people with very dry hair dilute it to something like 1 part shampoo to 2-3 parts warm water. That gets all the dust and environmental toxins out without exposing hair to the harsh chemicals in most shampoos.

2. If your hair is naturally thin by birth, you can work on making it healthy as possible by avoiding chemical treatments that might damage it and using the best products you can afford. However, making it stronger is questionable Eating right, taking good vitamins that are known to help hair may help somewhat but there is no guarantee.

3. Have all the damaged parts trimmed off on a regular basis.

4. Consider playing with some of the dry shampoo formulas that have been discussed here. That gives your hair a dry clean and adds body but prevents the wear and tear of water and shampoo products. A good one to try for fine strands? Take a pinch of finely ground oatbran and dust through the oily or dirty parts. Use fingers to apply and then carefully use fingers to dust out the excess. It can be messy but may be a good alternative to giving your hair a rest.

5. Avoid hot tools as much as possible until your hair improves. Heat will have a bigger impact on damaged strands than on healthy ones.

Good luck to you.

Bratty.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2003 at 9:35am
The only thing I would add is to go to a good salon and get a cut that makes the best of your hair. A good stylist can cut it so that it looks thicker than it is. Probably it is best to keep it on the short side too. I am finding that works best for me. My hair is very fine and very thin. The less I mess with it the better it behaves.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2003 at 12:08pm
Great advice stated above. A few more recommendations:

--Avoid using products with sodium lauryl sulfate, TEA-lauryl/laureth sulfate, sodium olefin sulfonate or ammomium xylenosulfate (email me at moonrock24@hotmail.com if you would like my complete glossary of haircare ingredients.)

--Use a leave-in conditioner that lists protein high up in the ingredient list. While protein, keratin, amino acids and panthenol cannot repair damaged hair (it is dead and lacks the cellular regeneration necessary for repair) these ingredients do coat the hair shaft, thus imitating the look and feel of healthy hair.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic