Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I cut my long fine hair, let it grow back, and it's a disaster!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I cut my long fine hair, let it grow back, and it's a disaster!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vito View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I cut my long fine hair, let it grow back, and it's a disaster!!
    Posted: November 02 2003 at 5:12pm
I'm a 19 year old male. A little bit more than a year ago I had shoulder length hair (w/ shaved sides). It was "fine" hair as the barber described it. It was smooth and soft and a little wavy, I never had a friz problem, and almost never curled up...just a little extra wavy after the beach.

Well, I decided to cut. It was a little longer than a crew cut. For the first couple of months, I used mousse for the spiky look, but eventually stopped.
(I also washed it with "Head and Shoulders" for the first couple of months, then i went to "Pert Plus", now with "Pantene Pro V", I'm not picky about hair products....I dont know if that makes any difference)
It was getting longer, but I decided to let everything grow in rather than just the top alone. Now, almost a year later, it is nothing like what it used to be. A constant friz, it barely moves at all (dead, stiff, damaged...i dont know the exact terminology of it.). If I run my fingers through it, it stays up, and moves back down in a big clump. If I skip shampoo for one shower, it starts curling up. It's a big 80's poof with no need for hair spray.

I kept the pony tail from when I cut it. The difference between the pony tail hair from a year ago...and my hair now is extremely obvious. A few people have asked me as a joke if I've permed my. Whats happening? And what can I do??

Please help, thanks
Vito
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2003 at 9:40am
That does seem very strange. I have heard of hair texture changing when someone has to take very strong drugs, like chemotherapy associated with cancer but nothing like what you are describing. It sounds like all of your hair is on the long side and maybe all one length? If so, is this the first time you ever had all your hair long and all one length? Maybe it was always this way and you just didn't know it because even though parts were long, the sides were shaved. I think hair can be different textures on different places on your head. My daughter's hair is wavy underneath in the back but straight and fine everywhere else. Check with a hairdresser. I can't imagine what would change the texture other than health issues or hormones.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic