Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fine Long Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
francesgrimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 7:40pm

I have very fine hair, not thin but very fine.  For years I didn't try to grow it because hairdressers told me I "just couldn't, it was too fine."  Meanwhile they kept telling me they'd cut only an inch off my hair and then it would be way more.  My hair seems to grow slowly too.

Finally (duh) I figured out the golden rule of growing out your hair:  Never go to a hairdresser.  OK, there may be hairdressers sympathetic to below-shoulder hair but it's very hard to find one.  I never have.  And they'll all tell you your hair won't look good because it's too fine, if they want to cut it short. Heck, with a short cut my hair just looks wispy and my head looks too small.

End of rant . . . anyway, the secret to getting it to halfway down my back was to abandon hairdressers entirely.  I bought a book called _Haircutting for Dummies_. Despite the title it's an excellent book.  For my very infrequent trims to even the length,  I have my husband follow the directions and pictures. 

I don't think my hair will ever reach my ankles, but the point is:  Everyone told me it was so fine and grew so slowly it would never get at all long, and it did.  I just had to quit cutting it and refrain from abusing it.  And wait for several years.

OK, volume, how to get volume.  I'm still working on that one.  Some tips:  Forget volumizing products, none have worked for me. 

To keep the hair from lying flat on the head, a great trick is:  As soon as you finish washing your hair, spray it with spray gel.  Pull all your hair into a ponytail at the back or top of your head, and fasten with a covered elastic.  Do not part your hair, even if you normally wear a part. Pull it straight back from the forehead. This dries the roots upward and gives the hair a good lift. Note, no blow drying is required.

To get some wave into your hair with no effort, put it into the pony tail, as above.  Let it dry partway, otherwise drying will take forever. Then twist the hair around as tight as you can, coil it into a bun (this is two separate steps), and pin the bun to the top of your head with bobby pins. If the bun is at the top of your head, not the back, you can sleep on it.  You can also put the hair in the ponytail, then braid it tightly, then coil it into the bun.  Or you can make two tight braids coming out from the ponytail, loop them around to the top of your head, and fasten them with bobby pins. 

My problem is, I can get waves or curls, but the first time I comb or brush my hair, I get a sort of halo.  Fluffy body but no curls. I didn't get this when I had a perm.

I'm about to try permanent color on my hair, so if that gives volume as someone said, all the better.

Fran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 8:43pm

I should add that, a perm will add a _lot_ of both volume and curl to your hair.  You'll look like it's about three times as thick.  Perms are out of style, so hairdressers aren't very enthused about giving them.  A perm does not destroy your hair if you (a) don't perm more than a couple of times a year (b) you don't use permanent color over it (semipermanent was OK for me) and (c) you condition your hair.

Fran

cyma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 8:53pm
thanks. i have not been to a salon in a long time because i had to learn the hard way that they know nothing about caring for thin hair. and yes i was also told my hair was not able to grow long and if it did it would not look good. so most of my life it has been short. then about a year or so ago, i just let it go to see what it would do and low and behold, it is now half way down my back and has never been more beautiful. i will NEVER have short hair again.  thanks for the support.
cyma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 8:56pm
i will not color or perm my hair. i have just grown out a horrible perm that what do you know i got from a salon. yeah it looked a lot thicker but resembled a poodle. . so it is straight and i love it. i would advice against perms. they damaged thin hair sooo badly. did i mention that afterwards, chunks of my hair broke off and fell out. but it is back to normal and all the hair i lost is back and even with the rest of my hair as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 9:18pm
I had my hair permed for years and it never looked like a poodle (after the first wash) or broke off. That's the sign of a really bad perm, and yes some stylists give really bad perms.  Go _somewhere else_ if you ever want another perm.

Generally hairdressers seem to be good at either chemical work (coloring and perms) _or_ cuts.  At the fancy salons they have separate people to do cuts and chemical work, and that is the place to go if your stylist is no good at chemical work. 

Additionally, I've noticed that they cut less off if you have cuts and perms done by different people.  They always tell you they have to cut it "because the ends are damged." But the shorter your hair is, the less time it takes for them to curl it, and that's why six inches get whacked off for "trimming the ends." A stylist who doesn't have to roll it up personally is less concerned.

Sorry your perm was a nightmare,

Fran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 9:20pm
BTW, to Cyma, you are lucky your hair grew so fast.  Mine took over five years to get from about shoulder length to halfway down my back.  But it _has_ grown and I suppose it will grow some more.

Fran
cyma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 10:48pm
it has grown fast and it never did before. i take a lot of vitamins(multi or prenatal are really good) eat a lot of veggies and protein and as little grease as possible. try this and maybe your will grow fast too.
eashworth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 1:24pm
I have long, fine, very healthy hair. However, my hair is very very thick. I have no idea how to syle it.  It is so thick, I can't even clip it up. I need help!  I also have tiny hairs that stick straight up out of the top of my head. It looks bad. Does anyone have this problem?  How can I fix that? I've tried smoothing cremes, but they make my hair look and feel greasy. My hair is very straight.  If someone has some tips, I would appreciate it!  I am looking for ways to style and get rid of those tiny hairs that stick straight up.  I have never done anything with my hair except wear it down.  I don't know what else I can do with it! My husband wants to see something different and so do I.  I will try to post a picture soon. 
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 1:37pm
My hair is fine, thick, and straight, too. There's not much you can do about those little hairs, they look like that when they grow back after going dormant.

As far as styling goes, you could learn to put your hair up in a bun. Gather it together as if you're going to put in a ponytail, but instead of putting a band on it, start twisting. It will want to kink up, but coax around and around it into the shape of a bun. Secure by weaving hairpins through it and the scalp.

You can pin up a braid into a spiral bun, too.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
eashworth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 1:47pm
So those tiny hairs are just new hair growing in? I get so frustrated with them that I end up plucking them out with tweezers. Do you think any products might help?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 2:37pm
I doubt it. Anything that will glue them down will show.

Don't forget, eventually every hair on your head will fall out and grow back. You could end up with a bare spot if you keep doing this.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
eashworth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 8:59pm
Thanks for your response!
hatejsq67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatejsq67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 3:19am
it's best of the best to educate yourself regarding decorated so that you have mignon earring or otherwise eardropAmongst our highest modish brand names of guys clothing is nudie clothing Before couture grew to opportunity connected with designer companies Tiffany Jewelry Outlet Online - Tiffany And Co Outlet Gifts.
   In going to be the last years going to be the celebrities have happen to be made known ach and every if that's the case on the basis of their possibilities regarding fashion Mulberry Bags.acquire out and about who sells going to be the tiffany pendantsreddish colored pink and a purple pallette orange moncler jackets; Has going to be the brand new artwork preference of bei pearl short span of time necklace Dr Dre Beats; Composed so that you have diamond to be served upon and pattern of flowers pendant moncler outlet.illinois n'ya pas de seconde socit qui peut rivaliser avec bottes moncler pas cher en ligne moncler jacket. it is inevitable that when your child progresses apt a higher level of learning he or she may not be capable apt cope with the emphasis and fast wisdom pace.
Related articles:

moncler jacket imidmw When Corey Hart had ybwlyza

moncler outlet yzptnt and emblems color qvckmaj

moncler uk ppcjjb may chooseyou sho lzkmzrb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic