Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My fine hair is falling out!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kateish View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My fine hair is falling out!
    Posted: December 03 2004 at 10:46am
I have really fine hair it's about shoulder length, and everytime I have a shower I seem to loose alot of hair when I shampoo and condition...I try not to blowdry when I can help it.

And i dont put alot of products on my hair just
some hairspray now and then. I don't know why my hair is falling out but it only seems to be happening recently.
Maybe its my shampoo or conditioner??

Does anyone have any information that could help me?

Thanks.

Kateish
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 1:15am
Hey Kate,

The first thing you want to figure out.. it whether you're losing hair volume. If you're shedding a huge amount and yet your growth is skyrocketing, then you'd have nothing to worry about. For a long time I thought I was losing hair too, but waiting awhile, and measuring the circumference of my ponytail, I discovered that my hair was in fact thicker than it used to be.

On the other hand, it might be hormones (if you're a teen, hormones could cause drastic hair changes) or oftentimes stress.

or if you've ruled out everything else, it might be your thyroid (you can go have that checked).

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 8:48am
Well Kateish, don't be over alarmed by hair loss.

First of al, it is normal to loose some hairs daily. If you braid your hair a lot and hence don't comb it very often, they 'pile' up until it's washing time. Make sure you rub your scalp sufficiently to stimulate the flow of blood (needed for healthy hair), but don't overdo it (then you'll rub hair loose).

Many do not know that the cells that produce hair only have a certain lifespan (approx. 7 years on average). Which means that after 7 years normally a hair falls out. Since most of us as baby lost their first hairs, it means every 7 years or so a bigger loss than average produces itself. As AnaisSatin has experienced herself, it grows back (new cell produces new hair - in her case even thicker). As long as you have small new hairs, it's gonna be OK in a few months.

AnaisSatin has nailed the other reasons again: hormones may play a part. Some "Pills" tend to produce more hair; if you're getting older your male hormones get the upper hand producing hairloss; with pregnancy you'll have hardly hair loss at all and after giving birth the pregnancy hormone disappears and so does a lot of hair that went over their natural lifespan.

Certain medication can cause the hairloss too (read accompaning paper carefully).
A healthy lifestyle is needed too to keep your hair - sufficient (water) drinking, enough vitamines (from fresh fruits and veggies preferably), ... Too much stress at work or at home can cause it too.
I've known a woman who got hair loss from smoking (quite an exception). Just to point out it may have many reasons. Thyroid problems can play a part too, just a genes (ask your mother and grandparents - check out their hair and look at the worst case).

I fully realise it is frustrating, especially with fine (and little?) hair. And as long as your using a good shampoo and conditioner (with keratines in it) it probably won't be the products. A good general advice regarding products is to switch between several brands. That way a reaction of your body is very unlikely.

Take care and lots of patience. Breath deeply in and out, in and out ... (>relaxing will never hurt!)
Melissa Hames View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Hames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 11:25pm
Oh! we must be sisters somehow. I too have fine hair, I was always told by hairdressers that my hair is fine but I have a lot of it, well 4 years ago it absolutley started falling everywhere, evenly, to this day it hasn't stopped & my hair is HALF the thickness than it used to be :( I've been tested for thyroids, nutrient, ever disease, you name it & I don't have female pattern hairloss (starts to receed like a mans) it's all even and it doesn't run in my family...frustrating! No doctor has an answer for me & my hair is very noticable thin no whereas it used to just be fine. I lose the long hairs and the short hairs that are trying to grow back. I understand how awful this is for you as this has caused me much greif. Next step I'll try a dermatologist as I'm thinking maybe I have some scalp condition?? who knows, I suggest you go to your doc first & rule out the diseases & conditions taht can cause this then take it from there. I'll keep you posted if anything works for me, likewise if anything works for you let me know at : mbhames@hotmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic