Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

constant hairloss -

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mbhames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbhames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: constant hairloss -
    Posted: February 03 2005 at 11:43pm
I have fine hair, I was always told by hairdressers that my hair is fine but I have a lot of it, well 4 years ago it absolutley started falling everywhere, evenly, to this day it hasn't stopped ..my hair is EVERYWHERE & my hair is HALF the thickness than it used to be and that isn't an overstatement in the least :( I've been tested for thyroids, nutrient, every disease that can be related, my iron levels are fine, & I don't have female pattern hairloss as it's all evenly falling out and it doesn't run in my family...frustrating! & sooo soo sad. I'm 27 years old and very healthy otherwise. No doctor has an answer for me & my hair is very noticable thin now whereas before it used to just be fine. I lose the long hairs AND the short hairs that are trying to grow back & my beakage is out of control even though I never use a hair dryer - rarely colour my hair (and if I do it's washout) and only use scrunchies (even though they are SO sans chic)
I'm thinking about seeing a dermatologist, but it is SO very expensive (I'm currently living in Australia)
Have any of you experinced this? has anyhitng helped? certain vitamins? different shampoos? ANYTHING?!?! I'm soo happy to have found this site, I fel like everyone I see in the streets & all my friends have beautiful thick hair or at least a full head of it, any feedback would be wonderful!
thanks so much!
DorfsSunshine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorfsSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 11:34am
My Aunt had similar problems when she was in her teens I'm not sure if she did anything special to fix it but now she has hair (alot of it) and has not had any abnormal hair loss in years. From what my Dad says she cut her hair almost crew cut short and than as it grew back she made sure to take excellent care of it. No dying, no blowdrying, regular trims, the whole deal. I don't know if practically shaving your head would help or even be an option you would take but I figured I would just let you know what she did.
Elesha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 8:25pm
I am 20 and when I was 13, my hair started to fall out, exactly the way you described. I, however was anorexic. Once my eating habits were routine again (after almost 3 years) my hair stopped falling out. I was told that the reason for it was because I had changed my diet, and my body was under stress. Now, if I change what I eat or my routine, even slightly, my hair begins to fall out again. I think it may be when you get a little stressed or change something in your lifestyle, that is how it personally affects you. Maybe pay attention to the little things, you might notice a connection.
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 6:19am
The normal lifespan of a hair is about 6-7 years. Since we're all born with our 'babyhair' that falls out in the first year, a certain cycle is started. Every so many years you shed more hair than natural (certainly when young). This trend of periodic hairloss slows down a bit because other reasons cause us to change hair inbetween too. It is at this time curls can disappear or the thickness of the hair changes or ....

What you're describing should have another reason. Loosing the short hairs (if they are new - could it be they broke off?) certainly points in to the direction of sickness/malnutrition/hormones/... As this seems not to be the case for you, go visit a dermatologist and have it examined. It may cost money, but the other option (eventually loose all) is even worse I guess.

A good health, a good dermatologist and hope it gets better soon!
patrips View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 11:50pm
I understand your problem. I've had the same problem for about 10 years, and it started when I was only 21-22. The only thing I've found that seems to do some good is Shen-Min Shampoo, topical, and activator. I also use the women's vitamins they offer. I've tried just about everything, hair genesis, hair formula 37, Nioxin, I even went for an evaluation at the Hair Club. I went to dermatologists, to no avail of course. You name, I've done it or tried it. Shen min was about the best I could come up with. It's at least natural and seems to keep the shedding to a minimum. You can tell the difference between breakage and actually falling out from the follicle is by looking at the end of the hair. If it has a very tiny whitish bulb on one end, it has fallen out from the follicle. If not, it has broken off. Good luck, keep trying, and try to give each product you use at least 2 or 3 months to see minimum results. It will take a good 6 months to see the full effect. Take care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic