Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Herbs & Things - Jeanne Rose's Herbal Book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herbs & Things - Jeanne Rose's Herbal Book
    Posted: June 12 2003 at 10:29pm

Herbs & Things
Jeanne Rose's Herbal
A compendium of practical and exotic herbal lore.

I have a copy of the original book that was published in 1972. My original book is totally beat up because I have read it so many times. Jeanne Rose is responsibe for my early introduction to Herbs. Even though this books covers herbal topics ranging from fairies to ylang ylang, it includes some great recipes and formulations for hair.

I have to say that Jeanne is very open in her writing style. She talks about losing weight in a manner that would be consider not PC in 2003 but was probably fine back in the late 60s when she wrote the book. She also talks about driving her Porsche into a mountain on a rainy night. What an interesting lady. A herbalist that loves Porsches. I can relate to that.

All personal insights aside, Jeanne's book includes a Yucca Root Shampoo made with soap bark and boiled yucca root. She has a sage tea infusion for the roots of your hair to keep it dark.

Also, she has a peyote root scalp tea for scalp problems.

That is just the tip of her recipe iceberg. Trust me, i you visit the various recipe databases on all the different hair and beauty websites a lot have been distilled down from Jeanne.

She also includes wonderful recipes for chapped hands (oatmeal paste mixed with lanoline, egg yolk and honey).

My only regret is that I have not had time to play with more of her fabulous home remedies.

If you can find this book, it is a keeper. A great resource with lots of solid information.

Available on the Web at Amazon.com or through used bookstores.

For more info about this fascinating book click on:

http://www.hairboutique.com/books/amazon.asp?ISBN=0867195258

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic