Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ever worked with a technophobe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever worked with a technophobe?
    Posted: October 04 2003 at 10:02pm
I work with some older teachers who are very good at what they do, but they hate technology! I mean, they'd rather phone, write or walk a mile rather than e-mail a message; when they do use e-mail, they print out every little stinkin' thing! Go to the Internet for information? Electronic gradebooks? Forget it! You get the idea; if it isn't on paper, it doesn't exist.
3katz
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 7:57pm
Grrr I hate that. Makes me wonder what technologies will be around when we're 65 that we won't want to use.

It does really irritate me when people print out every gdamn email. My old boss would do that, even if the message just said "Hi, here's the attachment!" She would print out that message as well as the attachment. @_@
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 6:12pm
For a second I thought you were talking about one of my old bosses lol
First of all it took me about three months of nagging to get him to buy me a computer for the office. Everyday I would mention it to drive him nuts. The secretary before me that was there for two years only had an antique typewriter to use. Its a nightmare to use a typewriter when we are used to computers!

The manual database that was on paper
It would take me forever to find names manually and when we finally had the computer it only took 2 seconds or so.

Then we had the fax machine issue
It took another month to get him to purchase a fax machine. He couldn't understand why people would need to fax things to us and meanwhile I would have suppliers and customers suggesting to convince him. Everyone was pissed off with him but man was he stubborn.

My bookkeeping it was all handwritten. He couldn't understand that simply accounting would do wonders for us.

It makes years now and he still doesn't have email nor a web site. I don't know if his fax machine is hook up because I left when he bought it .
I would bet it is still sitting there not being used.

Somehow I believe that he really felt he could fight this technology.
dianefromcanada
Jeda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:22am

I've worked with at least two technophobes at my current employer. I think it's a little bit harder when one is your boss!

My coworker has a really bad attitude and makes it harder on me when I need to help her with her projects. It's gotten a little bit better with time though.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:30am

Ahhhh...I hear ya.  I live and breathe with a keyboard attached to my fingertips but I still have a hard time working with my Blackberry sometimes.  Maybe it is just the keyboard & it is sooooo tiny.

Anyway....here at HairBoutique everyone has to be a technogeek wannabe or they struggle intensely getting their jobs done because everything from the building to the warehouse has the latest technologies.  And well duh...we are an Internet company...so we usually attract the tekkies more than anything.  What we do here is have mini seminars to teach people various technotools so they loose their phobias quickly. 

Maybe you could volunteer to teach some technotools to the phobes & help them out.  Then of course it helps everyone be able to work together better.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic