Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perms?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cadee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perms?
    Posted: March 12 2003 at 8:45am
I have naturaly wavy hair and I would like to get something done to add body (possibly a perm of some sort). My hair is shoulder length and I don't cut it (religious reasons). My problem is when I go to a hair salon nobody seems to know what to do with my uncut hair. I know perms can go frizzy and therefore I am a little leary of them. All I want is loose curls. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Also can anyone explain what a cold wave perm is? That is one recommendation I got.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 9:16pm
Hi,

A cold wave perm is just a perm that is not put under a dryer. This kind of perm is nothing new, they have been out since the late seventies.

The technology of perms has come a really long way since then. I think a perm woul be really pretty on your long hair. Find a salon that uses ISO perms. They are the very latest in perm technolgy. They perm very nicely without alot of damage. But a little warning for you, Alot of hairstylist these days hate to do perms. Listen to the tone of there voice when talking to them in a consultation. You don't won't one of these hairstylist who despise to do these. I still love to do them, but stylist like me are few and far between. Go to several and get a free consultation with someone who uses ISO perms.

I hope my advise helps. Keep us informed.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 3:03pm
Hey Lili...Have you used the Iso Neo??? One step No Neutalizer, What do you think??

Lili's right, I just read an article recently, talking about the fact that there is a whole generation of new Stylists out there who haven't had the oportunities to perform many perms. Because we just don't do many of them these days...It's all been about color the last 8 years.

I can see a stylist talking a client out of a perm if they aren't confident doing them. Find someone who loves doing perms.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2003 at 7:13pm
Hi,

I did not like the NEO. It did not hold at all. It may be good for people who want alittle body with no curl and does not want to keep it long.
(Believe me there are people out ther who actually want this)
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Emmy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 11:11am
I am going through the same thing right now. I have had long hair, short hair, medium hair etc. I feel like I have been through every style I am capable of. I am curling iron dyslexic(can't seem to turn it the right way while looking in the mirror, but not about to do my hair without a mirror!) I have been thinking curls might be a new thing to do. I had a perm about 15 years ago, so I know that major strides have been made in technology...I want the loose curls, not springs. I talked to a stylist a while ago and she said its not possible to do loose curls. My hair is slightly longer than shoulder length, and so are my bangs...I also have 5 cowlicks(wouldn't you love to be my stylist?!) So, any suggestions?? I have an appt this afternoon so I am trying to decide what to do... Thanks!
Emmy
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 1:12pm
Why did she say it wasn't possible, Emmy?

What is the texture of your hair? Fine? Med/corse?
Any color or chem.straightening?
When you had your perms 15 years ago...how was it? Did your perms last?

Did you have any natural wave or curl as a child...or now for that matter?

Do you have any layers in your hair?
Emmy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 1:25pm
My hair is healthy. Its thick and strong. I had highlights done in June, but thats all the coloring I have had. I don't know why she said it wasn't possible.
When I had mine done before I was in 6th grade. It was kinda of your standard 80's tight curl. It stayed for a long time...I ended up cutting my hair to jaw length to get rid of it in the end.
Now I have more natural curl than I had then...it will do more, if someone works with it. My sister is really good with hair and does it for me sometimes...but I don't want to have to rely on her...
an hour to go....I have polled all my coworkers about their opinions and have gotten a variety of responses...not sure whats going to happen...maybe I will get her opinion and then report back here :)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 3:26pm
It sounds like your hair would perm beautifully....There are wonderful p/w's that are made for Highlighted Hair.

The considerations are ...condition of your hair.
and how much new growth do you have.
because the hair that has to be considered most, is your hlted hair.
Who does it is VERY IMPORTANT.
Are you planning to get another highlight before the holidays?
How highlighted is your hair? How Blonde?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic