Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

growing out nails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blondebabe View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondebabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: growing out nails
    Posted: May 22 2003 at 5:59pm
help me!!!!!! i have really short nails because i bite them. i then used something that grew my nails longer, and then i was bored and bit them all off again. and no nail polish looks right on them and it is always sloppy because my nails are too small. so i need help on how to grow them out!!!! thank you sooo much
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2003 at 7:40pm
Is going to the nail salon an option? If so, you can get tips put on and you can grow your nails out with the tips on. They'll look great in the meantime. But, you will have to get them "filled" every two weeks at a cost of approx $20 each time.

If that is not an option, I recommend using "Develop 10" or one of the other strengtheners (Sally Hansen makes good ones), and a whole lot of discipline to keep from biting. I used to bite my nails before I was 12, and I know it can be a hard habit to break. But you can do it if you really put your mind to it!

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Elissa
Ex-nail biter
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 4:04am
Hi,

I believe going to a salon and getting a manicure every week helps lots mentally on the biting issue. Many people growing out their nails swear by it. If you invest the time and money to care of the nails you are more likely not to bite. A weekly manicure consists of cuticle work and hand massage which helps the nails grow quicker. I would reccomend a privately owned salon or spa. Do bother with the "mall type" nail salons. Most of the time its crowded and the mostly want to do acrylics, and do not want to bother with manicures. Going to a privately owned spa also gives you a hour of peacefulness and relaxation that we all need in this time of craziness.

Enjoy!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
alp1990 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alp1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 9:15am
I have to agree with LilyBeach. I too bite my nails and stopped a couple of months ago. Going to the salon and getting manicure proffessionally done helps a great deal.
You are less tempted to bite on them when you see how pretty they look and it also helps to know you paid for them, so you are going to make them last as much as possible.
Even though I can do my own manicure (including french), I tend to bite them when I do it myself as I know I can just redo it. So I have opted for going to a salon now. Unfortunately my nails are still very weak, so they break very often....but I am not giving up!

I personally wouldn't do acrylics, I had them a few years ago and it just made my nails underneath even weaker than they already were from the biting. Once I took the tips off I ended up having to cut all the nail that had grown because it was not even worth trying to save...they were sooo thin and weak. It took me quite a few months to grow out all the damaged part.

Hope that helps you and good luck on the biting! I know is a horrible habit!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 10:06am
Hi guys,

Well I have the opposite problem. I have a fab manicurist who recently came to my office and gave me a manicure & pedicure. I LOVE OPI and the various colors. She did a great manicure but after 1 week I had to remove the polish on my hands (toenails holding nicely). Well now I have an opposite problem. My nails, which I don't bite and are strong, are now all displaying a thin crack line about 1/4th inch below the bottom of the nail. The crack is on 4 of my nails. YUCK. I hate that. It always seems to happen.

I mention it to the manicurist every time but she tells me not to worry. Well it is a hassle and I have to constantly put balm or lotion on it to keep the cracks from getting worse. By the way, I use Burt's Bees lipbalm on them. It seals them and keeps them from snagging.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 1:50pm
Karen

This has only happened to me when the manicurist did not file the nails properly.

She used a zig-zagging motion rather that working in one direction from the outer edge of the nail to the center, on both sides.
Also, she used a metal file instead of an emergy board.
I didn't go back to her after the second time.

I haven't had manicures for a while because although I loved the hand massage part, I didn't want my cuticles removed.
They are natural protection for the nails and I didn't like them pushed back and sliced off. I do believe that it weakens the integrity of the whole nail structure.

Take care

Uzi
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2003 at 8:26pm
You are exactly right Uzma. I don't like my cuticles removed either.-(I hate that actually)-.
In fact my nails are not very long and I rarely do much of anything to them.
Oh well..., I am into other "girly/womanly" things like wearing makeup, dresses and jewelry.

Later "Naturegirl".

Love,
Tina
tina
Igor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2003 at 7:30am
I’m a member of Floor length hair club 2 and I did a post some time ago about the damage nails could do to your hair. I told people an icky fact I have read and for some reason it actually seemed to help people stop biting their nails.
Okay, here goes…
“Biting you nails will give you more bacteria than licking a toilet seat!”
Gross, huh?
1BCiii
Golden/reddish blonde
Growing out from 0 mm, now a little
below shoulder lenght
dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 6:36pm
I wanted to add to Igor's comment. My best friend is in nursing school here in Texas. They will not allow any of the students to have acrylic nails at all and their natural nails cannot be longer then the end of their finger. Why? Because there is SOOO MUCH bacteria that is under your fingernails that there has been some rare occasions that it has given bacteria to infants and caused major problems, as well as very sick people sensitive to bacteria.

So...I totally agree with the comment that biting your nails is like licking a toilet! hehehe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic