Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with silk wraps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GlamGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlamGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with silk wraps
    Posted: July 04 2004 at 6:00pm
Hello! For years, I've had my own nails wrapped in silk, in order to maintain a nice length. Unfortunately, I started to develop a problem, where I have extreme itching and redness in and around the nail bed, as well as dryness that I never had before on the sides of the nails that causes bleeding when my nail woman files them. I tried everything to stop this - bought new utensils, from emery boards to cutucle cutters. My salon practices very hygenic procedures of sterilization and has each client purchase their own personal kit, but, I bought alll new utensils anyway. I even tried an different salon, just to see what would happen. Sure enough, the same problem occurred and my nails and surrounding skin became so itchy and enflamed, I had to see a Dermatologist. She told me that I am allergic to the glue, so, I got all of the wraps removed and re-done with a different nail glue. Well, the same thing happened - itchiness, redness, even some bleeding. Awful... I had to get the wraps removed because the problem was getting so bad. Now, my nails are unwrapped and short,a nd I really hate them. I want my long nails back, and that can't happen without them being wrapped. Has anyone ever heard of this type of problem? Is there anything I can do to get my long nails back? My nail woman even tried to wrap them in fiberglass - which didn't work, I had the same problem, yet again. Linen produced the same as well. Now that have no wraps on my nails, the problem has ceased altogether, but of course, without any wraps, they all broke and are very short now. I would love to find a way to get my long nails back. By the way, tips produces the same problem as well. Anyone who has any suggestions or advice on this matter, please send a reply. Thanks so much!
seasweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2004 at 4:22pm
since you are allergic to the glue you should avoid fake nails/nail wraps and try to grow them out naturally. vitamins that really help nails grow long and strong are: biotin, msm, and protein.
be careful... life is bitter sweet. we are living in a world of hate

http://www.napturalglory.com

thick naptural hair worn in twists, flat twists, or bantu knots. products: organic refined coconut oil and hair tea.

JESUS Rules!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 11:57am
Have you tried simply keeping them painted? Your own nails should grow, provided you're getting your vitamins (one multivitamin a day should be enough, you could create problems if you overdo it). Mine break off and stay short if I don't keep them painted, but if I do, they can get pretty long.
Also, keep track of what you do with your hands. Be careful not to do things that are stressful to the nails (such as be careful how you zip zippers, pull on shoes, etc. and try not to bang your nails into things like doorknobs and such).
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 1:03pm
See my post I just posted - Acrylic nails-Primer - you are allergic to the primer!! See if they can use glue instead of primer and maybe the problem will be fixed!
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
jg1520 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jg1520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2005 at 11:38am
The only other artificial enhancement you did not mention is gel.

Try getting a gel overlay. Have them test it on one finger to see if you have a reaction. Note there are various types of gel products on the market, which require different procedures. In your situation it is best to test it first before getting it on all of your fingers because most gel products has to be filed off.

If this does not work. Try Nail Envy by OPI. It's a nail hardener and it's really great for strengthening your nails. Apply it 2-3 times a week for about a month. Then once a week from then on. Note: It's applied in the same manner as a nail polish.
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 8:03pm

Originally posted by MoNiCaxOC MoNiCaxOC wrote:

See my post I just posted - Acrylic nails-Primer - you are allergic to the primer!! See if they can use glue instead of primer and maybe the problem will be fixed!

Silk wraps do not use primer.  Wraps are a piece of fabric and adhesive (glue) and primer would actually cause the glue to lift.  All nail adhesives are made from the same substance - cyanoacrylate.  Each brand may add a little something, but they all have the same base.  What this means is she cannot wear wraps (silk, fiberglass, linen) or a dip method (powder and glue) or tips of any kind. as all of these methods use the same type of adhesives.  Barring acrylic, the only thing left is gel nails, but again, not with tips.  Se if you can find someone who sculpts gels and ask if they can do a test nail. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic