Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acrylic nails - primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acrylic nails - primer
    Posted: December 22 2004 at 1:00pm
I like to get my nails done, but for about 2 or 3 days after I get them done my hands get SUPER itchy and sometimes I get blisters around my nails. My cuticles get really badly dry and underneath my nail does too. I've gone to several different nail salons because I thought it might be becuase the equipment was unsanitary, but then I heard that I am probably allergic to the primer they use. Everywhere I go I ask them not to use the primer but they say that "have to use it but they'll just use a little" but they still end up getting itchy and blistery afterward. Does this happen to anyone else and what do you do? I can't get wraps b/c those cost too much for me...any suggestions?? I really want to stick with acrylics (since I already have them) but if there is something I can do to get rid of the itching/blistering ?? Let me know!! Thanks for any advice you can give!
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
wannabecurly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabecurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 1:07am
It does sound like you're allergic to the primer. You don't really need the primer if they rough up the nail gently beforehand. The primer is basically just there to chemically rough up the nail so the acylic will adhere better. If you decide to forgo the primer (it is your desicion, not theirs) be prepared that your nails may lift easier.
Nikkipatiently waiting for the hair I dream of. 1c/m/ii
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 9:30pm
I doubt you are allergic to primer.  You are most likely allergic to the monomer (the liquid) used in acrylic nails.  You can try a salon that uses a different brand, but it is likely you are allergic to acrylic, period.  There are very few acrylics that do not need primer.  Primer does not "rough up" your nail (which is a common misconception), it improves adhesion by creating a bond on your nail that the acrylic will adhere to.  If you have a product that requires primer, it will NOT sick without it!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic