Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair strengthener?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amytmcg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amytmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair strengthener?
    Posted: March 16 2005 at 4:51pm

Okay, I have been posting way too much, but just one more....

What can I use to strengthen my broken hair so no more will break off?  Does conditioner also strenghthen?  I used a protein rx mask from frederic fekkai but it contains silicones and im trying to avoid them right now....

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:35pm

Hi Amy,

Keep in mind that when hair is damaged past a certain point, it can not be repaired and can only be softened and moisturized so looks and feels better.  In some cases, the best approach is to have the damaged parts removed and start over.  Not always a wonderful option but sometimes the only one, if hair is terribly damaged. 

Some products that have been proven to help strengthen hair....but not necessarily repair it from its permanent damage I have listed below. Please keep in mind that One Size Does Not Fit All...so these are general recommendations......some may or may not have cone products:

Joico K-Pak Reconstructor has actually been proven to help strenghten strands, as much as that is possible.  Not all conditioners will help strengthen.  Some will help to "temporarily" repair the tiny tips and tears in the cuticles but will not necessarily add back strength. 

Also....

Paul Brown Resurrect, Kukui Nut Oil & Protein Flora Complex penetrates the hair's shaft & minimizes moisture evaporation while nuturing the hair's structural integrity, rebuilds hair w/intensity, leaving it strengthened, protected & voluminous w/out feeling coated or yucky.

Philip Pelusi - Long Gev Ity Conditioner - This product was designed by Philip specifically to help grow longer, stronger manes.  Keeps longer hair healthy and attractive, while achieving volume. Protects longer and older hair, especially at the ends.
  • Smooths hair shaft improving shine, texture and feel.
  • Excellent for long hair or hair that is growing out to a longer length.
  • Makes hair more pliable and flexible.
  • Smooths and strengthens older and weaker hair.
  • Protects against split ends.
  • Penetrates hair fiber, replaces lipid structure, limits damage from brushing and styling. Replicates the natural lipids in the hair structure to bind moisture deep inside the hair shaft. These lipid structures are created when the follicle makes the hair strand but production decreases as we and our hair ages.
  • Super strength sunscreens prevent hair color fadage

Robert Hallowell Love That Shine Elixer was specifically designed by Robert to help reconstruct damaged strands.  Robert works with a lot of actresses who develop "celebrity hair" which means incredibly damaged from constant coloring, extending and chemically treating. Robert has said that some of his celeb clients with damaged hair have seen better hair over time when using the Elixer.

I have personally had great luck with the Aveda products such as the Cherry Almond Bark & Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer.  The Deep Penetrating really works for my hair when I alternate with other deep conditioners.  The Curessence Damage Relief Conditioner always makes my naturally dry hair feel really good.  As does PhytoSesame and PhytoKarite Deep Conditioner.

Again....one size does not fit all.  Try to go with products that you can try at the smallest sizes and take your time trying various formulas.  It took me literally 5 years to finally find the best possible hair care product mix for me and my hair.  And even then, it still changes a little depending on the time of year, my stress levels and other factors.

Also...if you are dealing with hair breakage, I would suggest that you go with air drying for awhile.  If you feel the need for straight strands, I would suggest using the largest sponge rollers you can find with a hood dryer.  Using a blow dryer and/or brush with hot tools such as irons, will only weaken hair further.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
amytmcg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amytmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:42pm
THANKs!!!!!  I really appreciate your advice and taking the time to post.  I guess I really need to stop any more breakage from occuring as well. 
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:44pm

Hi Amy,

So glad you stopped by.  I hope you will visit & post often. I am very happy to share my thoughts...just want everyone to know that they are my opinions and that there is never a right or wrong answer, just suggestions.

Yes, stopping the breakage will help you feel a lot better overall about your hair.

Best wishes,

Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 10:07pm
Yes, you can use deep conditioners on damaged hair but it wont repair the damage.  Now, if it's severly damaged it is best to cut off all the damaged, and start all over again.  The best deep conditioner that works for me is Cholestrol Deep Conditioning Cream by Queen Helene.  You can purchase it at any beauty supply store or sally's beauty supply.  You can also use leave-in conditioning creams like Garnier Fructis Leave-in conditioning cream.
Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic