Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salon vs Store brand shampoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
music83lover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote music83lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salon vs Store brand shampoo
    Posted: March 26 2005 at 11:09am
I got my hair cut a few days ago, which I am now regretting what I got done (let myself get talked into a hair style and now I don't really like it), but anyway I have been using Pantene Pro-V on my hair and I like it, but when I told my stylist, she acted as if I was using battery acid for shampoo, saying that it is waxy and is bad for the hair, and pushed salon shampoos. I know she is trying to make money by doing that and it may be better than many drug store shampoos, but I have heard on shows like 20/20 and consumer reports specials on other shows that they really aren't all that better and aren't worth the price. I am a little confused. I like the way Pantene makes my hair feel and I can't afford to buy salon shampoo on a regular basis. What are some really good comparable drug store shampoos or should I just keep using Pantene?

Also, the stylist also used Matrix Amplify Foam Volumizer in my hair (my hair is really flat), which I like and smells good, but is there a drug store product that would do the same job?
SumoSamurai View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumoSamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 1:17pm

Your stylist is right, Pantene isn't good for your hair. It contains an ingredient that is harsh to your hair, but if you like it go ahead and use it. Also, salon shampoos are usually better than over the counter shampoos. Your stylist probably wasn't just trying to make money, but also trying to help you.

Strange thing humans usually think about negative things first.

SamuraiJoe- designed by me, will be very popular movie/series in the future of the Stick World...
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 4:01pm
Many salon shampoos or conditioners are no different from drugstore brands. Usually they are intended to leave more residue, making it seem like your hair has been left "moister", thus justifying the extra money you've spent.

Pantene Pro-V contains silicones, which make hair glossier and easier to comb out. These can build up on the hair (especially if you use multiple products containing silicones, like leave-ins) and cause damage unless they are removed regularly. Pantene makes a shampoo designed to do this, but I have read people complain that it strips the hair and damages it.

I have used Pantene Pro-V for a year with no problems, and if anybody'd have problems it should be me with my fine, silky hair. I just rinse weekly with 1/2 cup vinegar in a quart of warm water.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 3:29am

Some people's hair is wrecked by Pantene, but some people get good results with it.  So long as you're getting good results, don't worry about it.  If your hair starts reacting badly to it, change shampoos.

More awesome than a manatee!
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 10:52am
Pantene destroyed my hair. Try Neutrogena triple moisture products. I think its like 5.99. You can get them anywhere...walmart, target, ....
SumoSamurai View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumoSamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 5:51pm
Cause build ups eh? I don't know how build ups make your hair feel like ot look like, but my hair's just nice and fine. Using vinegar to rinse your hair, cool. I'm going to try that.

SamuraiJoe- designed by me, will be very popular movie/series in the future of the Stick World...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic