Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st time rinse advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sarahraegraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahraegraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st time rinse advice?
    Posted: April 10 2005 at 8:41am
So I'm getting ready to color my hair at home for the first time. I'm naturally brown, and have been growing out a previous dye job done by a friend that is light brown, and I'm dying it brown allover to basically my natural color, only a little brighter.

Thing is, I've never done this myself, and I'm scared! Not so much about the color, but about how I should rinse this stuff out. The box says not to get any on your skin, and I can't see how I can rinse it out myself in the sink or in the shower without getting it on me!

HELP PLEASE! I want to do this, but I don't want to mess it up.

Edited by sarahraegraham
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 9:10am
Well, you probably ARE going to get it on your skin because it will be on your scalp.  To keep it off of your hands you may want to get some gloves to wear, but chances are it says that because it may just stain your skin dark for a few days.  (I walked around with purple palms for a  day or two after I dyed my boyfriend's hair black once...my blondes never did that!).

About the dye, since you are new to this, if you really want to do it yourself please do a test strand.  Since your hair has been dyed before and you're going dark...it sometimes comes out blacker than people want.  So do a test strand or two on a hidden piece of hair from the underside so you can experiment with the timing and make sure you will get what you want.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
sarahraegraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahraegraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 9:13am
Thanks for replying! Yeah, I know to wear gloves and strand test, definitely. So, can I just rinse this off in the shower standing up, or do I have to do it under a faucet?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 11:09am
I've always rinsed off hair color in the shower. What product are you planning to use?
redcheese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 5:13am
I usually just grab some hand lotion or moisturizer, and put a nice layer of it around my hairline, ears, and the nape of my neck. It sort of creates a barrier so the dye wipes off a lot easier if it happens to drip a bit. I've actually seen some hair dye packages recommend that you take some Vaseline and smear it all around your hairline and your ears. Me, I think Vaseline is nasty.

I, too, am paranoid about getting dye on me. I usually complete a section of my hair, work in the dye, all that, etc etc., and then check for errant drops of dye. I keep lots of kleenex handy to dab the dye off. Your hands will probably stain if you're doing a darker color; I'd recommend wearing gloves. Actually, I'd recommend wearing gloves for doing any color--I tried this blonde shade once, without wearing gloves, and my fingertips turned banana yellow!

If you happen to get a drop of dye on you, it's probably not going to stain your skin unless you LEAVE it there more than a minute or two. You're always going to end up with at least a *little* bit on you. It can't be helped.

If, despite all your best efforts, you *do* end up with a stain on your skin? Don't freak out. I once stained my hands bright purple (with semi/demi -permanent dyes in various shades of red) and it washed off in a few days, when the new skin cells grew in, I guess. I can't speak for any other color, but at least for me, I wasn't "red-handed" for very long. :)

I usually just rinse off in the shower. I've tried doing it in the sink as well, and I guess it works, but it's more difficult to get all the dye out that way.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic