Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Olive Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olive Oil
    Posted: April 23 2005 at 9:43pm
Is it okay to use olive oil that you cook with on your hair or do you have to buy some special olive oil?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 9:55pm
Unless you really like the smell of olives, you might want to buy pure olive oil rather than extra virgin, which is less purified.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 10:11am
I don't mind the smell I just saw AnaisSatin mention something about oils you use on your hair being health grade or something. And that oils used for cooking have a higher acidic something or the other.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 12:00pm
As far as acidity goes, you can probably find info on some of the most expensive extra virgin olive oils. But I really think that they are essentially the same, and just the impurities are different. Or maybe the higher acidity ones will spoil more quickly if not refrigerated.

I think it mostly makes a difference if you're dipping bread in it.

I use extra virgin on salads, pure for making mayonnaise, and I never put olive oil on my hair.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 1:13pm

Oils for cooking are pressed differently. and I'm not sure about this, but some oils are treated to not solidify in cold temperatures. But if it says specifically "cold-pressed" you should be okay.

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 2:25pm
Extra-virgin olive oil is by definition cold-pressed, so it probably won't say that on the label as with oils other than olive.
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 2:06pm
AnaisSatin is correct: olive oil used for cooking is pressed differently to sustain high temperatures (and not break down).  However, I find that it tends to be rather heavy and weigh the hair down. Lately, I have been using Jojoba Oil and Coconut Oil. I have found that Jojoba Oil works well in most cases and prefer Coconut Oil if a bit more conditioning is called for (it is a tad heavier than Jojoba Oil).

These oils can usually be found in aromatherapy stores, organic or whole food stores (beauty section), sometimes vitamin stores carry it, even high end grocery stores now have it. These oils are not salad dressing or cooking oils: they are "carrier" oils--the kind that "essential" oils are diluted in. (Essential oils are scented oils such as rosemary, grapefruit, lavendar and rose and must be diluted in a carrier oil because if applied to the skin in full strength, a reaction can occur...including a blood issue for those who are highly sensitive.) Carrier oils are generally cold-pressed vegetable oils derived from the fatty portions of the plant. Unlike essential oils that evaporate and have a concentrated aroma, carrier oils do not evaporate or impart their aroma as strongly as essential oils.

Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ. Essential oils do not go rancid. Carrier oils, however, can go rancid. Some carrier oils will contain natural vitamin E as a natural preservative.

Not all oils are hair friendly but Jojoba and Coconut will not harm your hair. The web site Simplers Botanical Company has a very nice overview of essential oils. (Look at the menu on the left for topics.)

Hope this helps.Wink

Merlin
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 2:27pm
grape seed is similar to olive oil to me gives it a nice conditioning in the shower you might want to opt for that instead of olive oil because with grapeseed u can also use it on the skin so ur getting two in one.
Babycheeks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic