Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rose petals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rose petals
    Posted: June 01 2005 at 11:40pm
does anyone know how i can make rosewater with rose petals? i dont have a preservative so how long do you think i could store it in the fridge? also, using jojoba as a carrier oil, could i also make rose oil from this and how do i do it? thanks ......
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 3:04pm

Cook the rosepetals in a pot. Like making tea. That way it will at least be of a cooked variety. Just in case, you will want to store it in the fridge.

To make a rose oil, you can do it the same way polynesians do Monoi. Crush the rose petals and let them soak in the jojoba for a Loooooooong time.

HTH

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:09pm
thanks anais. i just soaked the petals and didnt cook them. i still have more for cooking. how long do you think it could stay in the fridge before having mould and gross stuff like that?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 10:01pm
I think to make a rose extract in the traditional manner, you would soak the petals in alcohol (vodka), which would mean no preservative would be needed. Then when you're finished, you'll have to wring them as dry as possible to remove all the liquid. Leaving the liquid in an open jar for the alcohol to evaporate will give you a tiny bit of a very potent rose oil, which you could dilute in a carrier oil such as jojoba.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 2:18pm
thanks ekatherine...err...im not 21 yet so i have to convince one of my friends to get me some vodka

Edited by Renee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 1:03am

My (cooked) rose water has retained its integrity for about 7 years now. I cooked it like a tea and strained it through damp paper towel. They were just regular rose petals. There was a lot of 'em but.. they were pretty normal. I also did not store the rosewater in the fridge at any point in time.

HowEVER, this was for Pagan ritual purposes so there was a bit of blessing involved  Maybe that's why it lasted so long, LOL. I think you should make one small batch at a time, perhaps each batch being just enough to last 2-3 months. (Just in case ) Hope this helps!

Anais

ETA: I just visited your Fotki, and your hair looks so shiny and healthy! Way to go, hon.

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 8:09am
thanks anais! i decided to stop relaxing. i miss my natural hair . hmm...ill try cooking and straining them. off to the kitchen right now. err...im not so sure of how im supposed to use rosewater though. can i just spray it on my hair and scalp? on wet hair, dry hair?

Edited by Renee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 1:37pm

There are lots of ways to use rose water. I think some people use it as an astringent to help with acid balance on the scalp... maybe spray it on your scalp on a non-wash day?

Good luck

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 10:47pm
I've used it on my skin, my hair and a light air freshner as well.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic