Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PH heat seals / PH color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mamabunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamabunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PH heat seals / PH color
    Posted: June 11 2005 at 10:59pm

Hello grrls....

I have lovely, expensive EP hair in now, but I am basically too busy with my  1 year old, 30-pound bundle of house-wrecking joy to actually sit and comb and primp.I've heard PH is pretty easy to care for, and I want gorgeous, butt length, fiery auburn hair to make up for the baby food covered rags I wear every day I also want to do heat-seals- like Dome. Anyone have:

1. Good auburn suggestions from PH- I am trying to decipher the colors on the older post that show the PH color wheel. My monitor seems to have off lighting or something- coz those colors are very different than whats on PH site.

2. Experience using heat seals with PH? I don't think I could do pinch braids on my head and I know that my kid would proabably be able to rip 'em out if I use elastics instead.

Lemme know....

Thanks!

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2005 at 11:51pm
Hi mamabunny! I love the auburns. Can you post a photo of the colors you like or find a photo on the Internet that shows the colors you want and put the link here?

Here's a link with some color combos:

http://virtualhaircare.com.au/virtual%20salon/what%27s%20new /colour_archive.html

See anything you like?
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 2:21am

Hey Mama!

I'm a big fan of the Auburns too. My favs are Fichte, Hasselnuss, and Kastanie...from the natural ring.

As for the heat seals...They're absolutely acheivable with PH. I've never done them on myself nor Pbs. I'm hairtarded in that sense! I lack patience.

FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 9:42am

Hey mama,

Welcome!!  I am on my second install of PH with heat seals. I LOVE THEM -- it's a beautiful thing. And no, your child could not tear them out. Actually, I'm pretty sure you'd be safe with pinchbraids as well!!

-Fina

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:43pm

I just did some heat seals on a client yesterday using the colors:

Eisblau, Flieder, and hella rosa

Plastik Haar heat seals like a dream!

I love it, and also I think that the heat seals are becoming my preferred way to do extensions, even over the shrink links!

mamabunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamabunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 4:52pm

Hey grrls,

Thanks. I'm gonna go for it!

AMM-

This is the color that I love as a base- maybe a shade darker, with some lighter auburn highlights.

Any suggestions?

Gina E: Between the hasselnaus, fichte and the Kastanie, which is the more deep rich auburn?

Fina- Can I heat seal with a regular curling iron? If so, how hot? Do you do it just like on Qunnster's site, or differently? 

Thanks ladies.I will post pics of new improved mamabunny when I'm all done!

Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 6:15pm

Hey, IMO the fichte is the deepest Auburn.  If I were you I'd buy all three of Gena's recommends and blend them or do streaks.  They're all really pretty colors.  It always seems best to add some dimension to your color to make it look plausible (rather than merely dramatic).

I wish I knew more about heat seals.  Does it always take two people to do the braid?  Does anyone have details details details?

Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 6:29pm

Hmmm Mama...that's a hard one. Fichte is the richest most vibrant IMO. However when I think auburn I tend to think of a redish-brown. So that'a when I'd go Hasselnuss. The Kastentine is a bit cherry.

You could either order a custom blen from Sara or order the colors and blend yourself. I'd have to say Fichte and Hasselnuss with a hint of Dunkelbraun(just for som brown...but its a warm medium brown) Or just the first two if you want a more vibrant look!

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 2:38am
metalgirl - cool! Is it PH that you use to wrap and make the seal? Do you do use spirit gum, too? How are they removed?
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 6:31am

mamabunny - as far as I can tell the heat sealing is a bit more complicated than using a curling iron. Metalgirl has taken the training and so can explain it better, but here's how it's done on me:

1) The hair is braided into my own. I understand this can be done with a 3- or 4-way braid. Mine is done using the 4-way braid and it takes 2 people. There are threads/posts on pinchbraiding that can explain this better. But yes, you have it correct. It's essentially pinchbraiding without the string.

2) At the bottom of the braid, which is about 1/2", the synthetic hair gets wrapped around a few times (in the same way the string would), then a high-temperature device with a very pointy tip is used to melt the thing on to itself.  Additional adhesive is applied and the whole thing is heated with the device. It is not spirit gum as far as I can tell. It forms a hard seal that does not seal onto my hair, but rather onto itself. When I remove these seals, the whole thing comes off like a cocoon that has been wrapped around my hair.

I sure *wish* I could do this, but, once again, my unfulfilled wish to be Shakti has prevented me from pursuing this skill. . .;-)

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 4:07pm
Fina- the adhesive isn't necessary; different stylists have different variations on the technique, and this seems to be a variation that your stylist does- possibly to help hold the wrap in place before it gets sealed? It's not a -bad- thing to do, certianly, and may help, but it's just a peripheral thing to the method.

-Rae
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 7:56pm

Fina explained the heat seal method very well.  I learned to do the 3 strand braid through Prostyles.

They taught us to just use a tiny drop of spirit gum at the base of the braid to help it from slipping.  It's the melted plastic that keeps the extension in place, not any kind of adhesive.

elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:45pm
Can I ask how long it lasts for? Does anyone do it in the Boston area? Sounds pretty cool.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic