Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please Help...A Nightmare!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Help...A Nightmare!
    Posted: June 18 2005 at 7:10pm
I'll try to condense this.  Two months I was a blonde. I went to the salon and had it dyed a dark red. Yesterday I went back and asked if she could take me back to blonde, she said no problem.  She used bleach and did a heavy frost, but left little pieces of red hair out.  Now I have little streaks of red hair running through all of the blonde. Needless to say.. my hair is fried, but what can I do about the red that is left???  There is NO way I'm leaving my house until this can be fixed... I look hideous!!  Tell me if there is something I can do at home, or how long I should wait to  go and have something else done... and how will I ever be able to get back to using color with all this bleached hair?  I appreciate your time and help and so much!
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 9:07pm
Rule number one of salon color...if you don't like it, speak up.

Call the salon, tell them you are unhappy with the color and ask if there is something they can do to fix it.  Do this ASAP.  I would not attempt trying to fix this on your own.  You might end up with no hair instead of just a color you don't like.
Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 10:08pm

Leia,

I left crying... she was very aware and even proceded to yell at me in front of other customers and told me to quit acting like a baby (I'm almost 40 years old). She is the mgr. of the shop at Regis... I suppose I could always contact the headquarters, but it still don't change the fact that I look like a freak with fried hair!

Thanks for your response.  I guess I'll wait maybe a few weeks to a month and go back to an upscale shop somewhere... don't know where I'll find the money.  Oh, and can you believe she still charged me a hefty price for this??  Thanks for listening!

Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 7:35am

THAT'S UNBELIEVABLE!  What an unprofessional attitude, tat's the first time i've heard of a hairdresser acting so rude! As a customer u have the rite to do what u did! Sorry but this is seriously what gives all the truly good stylists out there a bad rep!!!

Anyways, legally i am sure she did not have the rite to charge u that hefty price for color if u immediately expressed ur unhappiness for it which u did. She should not have charged u at all, and u should tell her u need it fixed for free.

If not, then u need to complain or like u said call the headquarters and tell them abt what she did.

U seem like a really nice person and she was clearly taking advantage of you!!!

Edited by Veronica F
Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 5:00pm

I had a thought while sitting out in the hot desert sun today trying to magically fade out my red streaks.... what if I add lemon juice to my hair before going out??  Would that harm it anymore than it already is?  Would that fade out the red?

I broke down and used a hot oil treatment today and reluctantly used Pantene... atleast it is soft again and doesn't look like fuzz.

Veronica, I agree.  Not only was I shocked that SHE acted that way but I was more shocked that she, a professional, could do something like this to me, or anybody for that matter. Oh well, it's over... time to move on, right? ;)

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 8:41pm
Kim, I'm so sorry the salon manager was a moron.  You really should try to contact their corporate office because that sort of behaviour from management is unacceptable:

Regis Corporation
7201 Metro Blvd
Minneapolis, MN 55439

I totally understand your reluctance to go back to a salon.  So let me try to understand the current condition of your hair.  It was permanently colored dark red, then most of it was bleached back to blonde (and probably toned, right?).  Are you now a dark, medium, or light blonde?

It would be possible to use ColorFix to remove some of the red dye.  It would likely take it to an orange or yellow shade.  ColorFix wouldn't do much to the blonde, except that it might remove the toner.  You'd then have to retone.  It wouldn't be completely even, but it would be less contrast than dark red and blonde.

FYI...toner can be either a permanent dye (e.g. Clairol Born Blonde toner) or a semi-permanent that reduces the yellow or gold tones of bleach.  You can find a variety of shades of toner (as well as the ColorFix) at Sallys or another local beauty supply shop.

If you can give me a little more info on the exact current colors of your hair, what they did at the salon, and what your natural color underneath the red dye is, I can give you a little more guidance.
Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 10:52am
Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 10:58am

I had first been blonde. Two months ago I went and had it dyed a deep red.. I guess you could call it auburn.  I went back last Friday and she put bleach on it (foiled it and as you can see she left pieces of red out-which I called her on immediately, but she said she couldn't do the whole head in bleach)???? Why not?? She practically did anyway!!?? lol  My REAL haircolor.. well, it's been so long since I've seen it, but I would say a dark brown.  As far as toner  goes... I don't remember her putting anything else on it other than the bleach (which was blue)... then all she did was wash and condition.  Would the toner have been in the shampoo or something? I'm sorry.. I don't know much about this.  How on earth could I, or a professional even begin to fix this?  I appreciate your time and help with this like you wouldn't believe!!!  Thank You!!

Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 11:24am

I was just reading another thread... several below this one it says: me+bleach kit=disaster

I was just wondering if the advice given to her would also work for me. Is the bleach used in a salon stronger and should I not try that?  I would love to get back to dye as I've never had bleach before and the upkeep on it will be expensive, I'm afraid.  If dye is possible, what would I need to do to keep it the color of blonde that it already is yet cover up that red?  I'm so sorry for so many questions.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 8:54pm
Thanks for posting the pic, Kim.  It's a great help.

I think your best course of action would be to try what's called a bleach cap.  Mix equal parts shampoo, bleach powder, and 20 vol developer together.  Put this mixture on all of your hair and leave on for 20-30 minutes.  But keep a close eye on it!  Rinse and shampoo once either the red has faded a bit or 30 minutes has passed.  Whichever comes first.  Then, if the color is still a little too brassy, you can use a blonde toner (like I said before, there's the Clairol Born Blonde, or you can use a permanent or semi permanent blonde shade (neutral or ash).

The bleach cap is less harsh than straight bleach, but it should help fade the red.  If you live by a Sally's or other beauty supply store, you should be able to find all the products you need.

Also, to be fair...I'm not a cosmetologist, just a person who's had her hair every color of the rainbow.  Good luck, and PM me if you have questions!
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:27am
Good luck from me too, and don't forget to update!!
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:36am

Hey Kim,

The picture you posted is very helpful.  I understand that you are unhappy with the red streaks showing through, but I think it looks very nice.

Leia was very helpful to you.  Just remember that red fades very quickly, so before you do anymore bleaching to fix the red, you may just want to wait it out.  Do deep conditioning like you did.  If you bleach to fix the red, you may ruin your blonde.

I can't believe the manager yelled at you and made you feel so bad.  What a NON-professional.  I'm so sorry you had to deal with that!

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 7:20pm

Kim, your hair really does not look bad at all.  I know that's not what you want to hear, but I feel I should say it anyway.

I too, have gone from blonde to red and then back to blonde and guess what?  It was not the blonde I remembered at all and I hated it.  It was warm and brassy looking and that is because red is very, very hard to get out of your hair.  Although it fades the fastest, it leaves behind warm tones that are seemingly impossible to counteract. 

If I were you, I'd leave your hair alone for now, because the red that is there will eventually be lifted to blond as you go back for touchups on your highlights .  Please consider a new colorist, at a reputable salon.  Obviously explain to her that your goal is to get back to being completely blond, with no trace of that red.  It will take time.  I felt so bad as I was reading your story.  There is nothing worse than having hair you hate.  But trust me, it doesn't look bad in any way. 

I hate Regis salon.  They screwed me over big time too, years ago. 

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 3:20am
I would go even further and say your hair looks lovely in the photo.  It is obviously not what you wanted and you are unhappy about it.  But I would hold up my head high and enjoy it.  Some people actually pay for this look and not many people will be examining your hair as closely as you do.  Luckily you have a length that will soon grow out, but I wouldn't worry about it too much while it is doing that!
Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 1:11pm

Hi, and thank you for all of the very nice responses... I really appreciate it!!

Two nights ago I couldn't fight the urge any longer, however, and I took Leia's advice and did what she suggested and........ it worked!!!    I left my house for the 1st time last night since all of this happened!! and I feel so much better!  Now my hair just needs a nice long break and some more conditioning.  I'll keep popping prenatal vitamins and hope that it continues to grow fast so that it can be nice and healthy again.  Anyway, I just wanted to update you all and thank you for everything!!  I've been in touch with Leia so she already knows how grateful I am!

This site is wonderful with wonderful people and I'm so glad I found it!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic