Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sarondie’s hair journey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sarondie11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sarondie’s hair journey
    Posted: August 09 2005 at 1:13am

I can't believe I have been reading the HairTalk forum for years and just discovered the Hair Journals section tonight! I think I will start out with a few pictures and the basics of my long hair journey. It started in February 2002 with a major chop. I loved the chin-length style, but I was not meant for short hair. Limiting myself to a couple of 1-inch trims a year, I have reached 28 inches in 3 1/2 years.

May 2004 - I didn't really like the way the layers were cut this time around.

September 2004 - much happier with the layers.

October 2004 - I tried an unusual dye job. I used black dye on the underneath half of my hair. Some people liked it, some people didn't, but it was at least fun to have people asking me about my hair.

July 2005 - current length and color. Getting close to waist-length!

Well, that's an introduction to my hair journey. I'll post about what products I use, etc, later. I hope anyone who reads this and is in the process of growing out short hair is encouraged that it is definitely possible and worth the wait! 

Edited by sarondie11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 2:19pm
a rundown of my goals

Starting point: 16" or chin length

Initial goal: 24" or bra strap length

Current length: 28 inches - reaches the inside of my elbows (affectionately known to me as "inbows"), my second goal after bsl

Primary goal length: 32" or waist length (top of my pants, not the narrowest part of torso)

Secondary goal: 44" or fingertip length (I'm not sure if I'll ever actually reach this one, but we'll see)

Possible alternate goal: terminal length (not sure about this one because I am personally not a big fan of the natural tapered look on myself, but the concept of finding my longest length is intriguing)

My current products & routine

Let me preface this by saying I have only recently come to realize how to look for cones in the products I chose. To my horror I discovered all of my shampoos and conditioners contain them. I'm a very cheap person, so I'm not going to run out and replace them now, but I will definitely have to be more careful when I buy new products after these are gone.

For straight styling
Thermasilk Color Revitalizing Shampoo
Garnier Fructis Long & Strong Fortifying Conditioner
Redken Extreme Anti-Snap (occaisionally)

For wearing it curly
L'Oreal Curl-Moisture Shampoo
L'Oreal Curl-Moisture Conditioner
Tresemme Curl & Scrunch Hair Spray (really I can use any hairspray)

I wash my hair every three to four days in the summer if I'm straightening, or every other day if I wear it curly. I wash my scalp with shampoo and allow the suds to wash over the length as I rinse out. I condition the length for several minutes then follow with a cool rinse. If I'm going to straighten, I allow my hair to air-dry, usually over night, then brush it when it is dry. I straighten section by section with a flat iron, which usually takes about 20 minutes.

To wear it curly, I shampoo and condition in the same manner, but I comb it while it is still wet. This takes a very long time and is rather unpleasant. Perhaps I should shop around for a good spray conditioner or something that would help me gently detangle my wet hair. I know brushing when wet is a no-no, but it's the only way to style my hair without heat. Anyway, once it is brushed, I flip my hair over a couple of times to encourage the waves to form. I use hairspray thoroughly while scrunching with my hands, paying close attention to the top layers since they will be showing.

I straighten my hair much more than I curl it. When it is straight, I sleep with it loose on a satin pillowcase. When it is curly, I'll usually braid it to preserve the waves. My hair has loose s-waves, not spirals, so they require gentle handling or they will fall out.

I do S&D pretty often. I don't go over my entire head - that would take an insane amount of time - but whenever I have a minute, am thinking about it, and have access to a good pair of scissors, I will snip a split ends. Unfortunately, they are not hard to find.

I started coloring my hair at home several years ago. Never anything drastic, just a new shade of brunette. I don't have a problem with roots because my last permanent dye job was as close to my natural color as I could get it. Now I occaisionally (once, maybe twice a year) use temporary dye if I think the ends look too brassy. I love deep dark shades of brown and wish perhaps that my hair was naturally darker.

Well, those are the basics. As summer turns into fall, my routine will change somewhat. Looking forward to reaching my next goal in the spring!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 8:00pm
There's been a lot of braiding for me in the past few weeks. I've been sick with some virus or another, so I've just tossed it in one long braid and not worried about it. College starts next week, so that will change....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 7:36am

This was about two months ago.

most recent pic of length

and this is my hair "curly"
curly hair

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic