Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

nail chewing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chicab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nail chewing
    Posted: August 28 2005 at 1:52pm
gawsh i keep on biting my nails, because of boredome........ well sometimes i just bite them, for the sake of bitting them.... I have tried about anything to stop me from that nasty and ugly habit, but not even expensive yuckie tasting nailpolish keeps me away from them. My nails are always too short and they are starting to deform, help i need good advice
aimee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 3:51am

there is a polish especially for peeps who bite their nails its really bitter and tastes really nasty

i got fake nails so i cant bite them anymore

aimee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 3:55am
L281173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L281173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 11:57am

Take this as a tip from a former nail biter.

Start getting weekly manicures.  Once you are spending your money for manicures and you see the results of your nails growing you will not want to bite your nails.  I'm 32 years old right now and I have not bitten my nails since I was 15.

one classy, sassy female
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 6:24pm

I always have had a habit of bitting my nails! I put shiner on them and I quit bitting them cause I thought the shiner would come off and it worked!!! I quit bitting them! They turned out pretty nice!

~Lisa9232~

Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:53am
 Hm, I mostly never bite them, but when I'm worried (deadlines, late nights, body aches...no music!), I tend to bite my thumb....(It's clean!)
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Chicab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 11:18am

Thanx for your advice guys, its just that manicures are above my 4 dollar allowance every two weeks. And disgusting nail polish doesnt work on me to well....when im mad or upset ill chew right through it. I have to say though the other month i was like im not gonna chew on my nails anymore!!! I didnt for like 1/2 a month! they were long and almost beautiful. I showed my nails to everyone... I was so proud of myself.  The other day ii was rejected by my crush and i went staright into my room and chewed the night away....and the next day i cried over my short ugly nails, and chewed on them again, untill they started bleeding....... They look awfull and i m so dissapointed in myself.....now i hide my hands again.....any more (cheap) (do at home) advice?????

misslou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misslou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 10:47am
I'm a chronic nail biter and i found that it helps to keep the fingers busy.  fiddle with stuff, hold things.  this usually gets me by pretty well.  i fiddle with pens and hair ties or just hold them.  the worst is when i read, i don't realize i'm biting till it's too late.  sometimes i wear super thin gloves while i read.

the icky stuff didn't do anything to help, spending $$ on maicures just meant i chewed plastic.  but bobby pins, pens, and bits of paper do the trick.

ps: keep a small nail file on you at all times.  the very second that you get a bit that catches on anything, FILE IT!

Edited by misslou - May 16 2006 at 10:49am
what I'm wearing: 1 pkg 18" DLux SS #2 and protac
pinky21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinky21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 1:50pm
Don't bite your nails! Stop the madness! I went to Sally's and bought this polish that tastes horrible but it keeps you from biting your nails and it's only three dollars. Or the other alternative is to get a manicure every week.
Pinky21
Darling Nikkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Chicab Chicab wrote:

Thanx for your advice guys, its just that manicures are above my 4 dollar allowance every two weeks. And disgusting nail polish doesnt work on me to well....when im mad or upset ill chew right through it. I have to say though the other month i was like im not gonna chew on my nails anymore!!! I didnt for like 1/2 a month! they were long and almost beautiful. I showed my nails to everyone... I was so proud of myself.  The other day ii was rejected by my crush and i went staright into my room and chewed the night away....and the next day i cried over my short ugly nails, and chewed on them again, untill they started bleeding....... They look awfull and i m so dissapointed in myself.....now i hide my hands again.....any more (cheap) (do at home) advice?????

Whoo! I'm not the only one!!!! I knew that of course .
Sweetie I know how you feel, I do the same thing! First of all, it's not out of boredom. People don't bite their nails till they bleed out of boredom. Same goes for any other type of self hurting.
Here's what I did: my family gave me a course for fake nail making - acrylics, gel, whatever. Years later I still do them on myself! Try biting on an acrilyc nail: you might chip a tooth in the process, but no longer will you have to hide your hands.
Sometimes I get brave and try to be without but it always ends up with me biting again.
I also tried those nasty tasting bottles when I was young, but I kept on eating .
As long as we don't get to the bottom of this there is no cure, honey.
Fake nails are not a cure either, but at least they keep you from biting until you're ready to stop!
Oh yeah: I actually did stop biting when I got pregnant. After the baby was born I was at it again.
It proves to me that when there is peace in your head and heart, biting is not needed.
Peace to you
I learn to love and try to understand everyone I meet. I see the rainbow hiding in their eyes.
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 3:23pm
Yeah, it's best to do some busy work  with your hands...
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic