Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting into hair feild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HairStyleDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairStyleDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting into hair feild
    Posted: September 06 2005 at 4:55pm
Hi, saving up for school, working now in a deffernet feild. I was woundering how to become a shampooist/front desk person at a salon?

Edited by HairStyleDiva
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 7:25am
When I finished my hair dressing course, I made a list of all the salon's in my city that I would want to work at. And then I called them all and told them who I was and what I wanted to do and asked if they had any positions available. I eventually found one and started working there. So try that, or maybe just go down to the salon and make an appointment to talk to the manager and stuff. Or try behindthechairs.com they have listings of a lot of salon jobs in the US

Good luck! Let me know what happens!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairStyleDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 1:13pm
ok, what questions do I need to ask when calling salon, beside if they are hireing people? 
gunnie71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnie71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 8:40am

Hi,

I'm a "Wannabe Hair stylist" LOL Oh, Well.

If I were You I'd ask about Your hours and benefits and wage ofcourse. I'd also ask questions about Your work wardrobe and hair and makeup , whether You can be Yourself or are there "Rules". Also ask If You can ask fellow employees questions, Also do You need a "Clientile" to start, or not?

I hope I helped,

Take care and God Bless!

Katie ;)
Highland lassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highland lassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 7:57am
In alot of salons, in order to become a shampoo person ,you will need to be classed as an apprentice.In calling a salon to inquire about employment,be honest. Tell the hiring manager that you are seeking employment within the hair industry and are planning to attend cosmetology school in the near future. They will usually then tell you what their requirements are and if any openings are available.
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 3:28pm

hello-

glad to hear u want to go to beauty school,

as a salon owner, i would encourage you to go, dont call, to the salons in your area that you might potentially want to work there as a stylist once you are liscensed. Dress professional, hair and make-up done etc.

stop on by each salon, ask if by any chance they might be hiring for receptionist. Use your current skills you might have now to land the job. once you fill out application and hopefully get an interview, after interview, call in three days every other day to say how int, you are to work at salon. Anyone who has tenasity, and is shows they really want the job, usually gets it. good luck!

Bringing beauty, one head at a time...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairStyleDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 4:32pm
Hi, what else do I need to ask when looking?
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 2:35pm
Hi Lisa,

I don't know much about this particular industry, but I'd strongly recommend reading a good book about business in general.  Go to the library and there will be dozens of books on the subject.  They will tell you how to present a good professional first appearance and what questions to ask (and not to ask -- personally, I wouldn't mention salary and benefits the first time you speak to someone.  It might seem like you're more interested in money than the actual position).  Eye contact, standing up straight, speaking in a clear and coherent manner -- these are all very important in making a good first impression.
cosmohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 3:07pm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldwideStylistBarbers/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairStyleDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:52am
Thanks everybody, I went on a interview this week and have one next week for front desk/salon helper, so have fingers crossed. Lisa
Jemeskenri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jemeskenri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2011 at 8:19am
I hope you got the job Lisa.  Please let us know how it all turned out for you.  Tongue

Edited by Jemeskenri - September 14 2011 at 9:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic