Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chemical Straightening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
~*~UkGirl~*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~*~UkGirl~*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemical Straightening
    Posted: December 01 2005 at 12:49pm
Hi all

This is my first post on the forum after joining up and reading through a few of the threads already here.

You guys seem to know your stuff so hopefully you'll be able to help me out on a few things.

My hair is "long", (not as long as I'd like it but anyway) and as my hairdresser says, "it's quite fine hair but there's a hell of a lot of it", so it's a thick head of hair. As a result of this, in it's natural state it's VERY big, it's a like a bush on my head lol, so I straighten my hair all the time.

I recently started reading a few bits online though about chemical straightening that you can get done at the salon. This sounded great for people like me, who never choose to have their hair unstraightened and spend a lot of time and effort on straightening it. (because my hair is long and thick I also find it quite a task!) It also sounds appealing because, especially in this Winter weather, I straighten my hair go outside and within a few minutes the rain/mist/moisture has made it all bushy again.

So I can think of quite a few benefits for this treatment, but don't know anybody who has had this done and I don't know much about it.

What do you all think, has anybody had theirs straightened at a salon? What risks are there and is it very bad for the hair? (yes I know straightening it at home is bad for it too )

Any advice/comments appreciated. xx
angelam_75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelam_75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 1:30pm
 Your hair sounds exactly like mine, except mine isn't quite as long anymore.  If you see my post on Redken Vertical you will see my experince.  I loved the way it looked the first time around, but it still tended to split easily.  (I'm not sure if this is because my hairdresser didn't tell me how to properly take care of it, or because it is a little thin, or what) but if you can find a VERY reputible stylist, like Steve said, I think this would be a great thing! My hair never turns into a "bush" now.... GL!! and make sure to do your research!
Angela

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~*~UkGirl~*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 6:08am
Hey

Thanks for the reply! Like I say I know nobody who has had this done so it's good to hear from somebody who has first-hand experience of it.

Considering that it doesn't seem a common thing to do here, any advice on what to look for when picking a salon to go to?

Thanks.

xxx
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 2:20pm

I just wanted to say, please have the hairdresser do a strand test. Fine hair (skinny strands) tend to get more damage from chemical processing than coarse hair (fatter strands)

Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~*~UkGirl~*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 9:23am
Thanks for that... I will make sure, if I manage to find somewhere willing to do it!

I am going to my usual stylist this week for a trim, so I will talk it over with her and see what she thinks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic