Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBALLER05 DEEP THOUGHT SESSION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BALLER05 DEEP THOUGHT SESSION
    Posted: December 29 2005 at 11:51am
JUST EXPRESS YA SELF HERE AFTER READING THIS.....

The U.S. Media And Racism

Media have divided the working class and stereotyped young African-American males as gangsters or drug dealers. As a result of such treatment, the media have crushed youths' prospects for future employment and advancement. The media have focused on the negative aspects of the black community (e.g. engaging in drug use, criminal activity, welfare abuse) while maintaining the cycle of poverty that the elite wants.

There are no universally accepted and recorded codes or rules, which apply to journalists in news selection and production. The media have devoted too much time and space to "enumerating the wounded" and too little time to describing the background problems of African-Americans. 4 What is not a crisis is not usually reported and what is not or cannot be made visual is often not televised. The news media respond quickly and with keen interest to the conflicts and controversies of racial stories. For the most part, they disregard the problems that seep beneath the surface until they erupt in the hot steam that is the "live" news story.

The Riots

The media have not studied important events in the African-American community today. Issues such as urbanization, education, poverty, and other elements have a significant bearing on positions of the black community. A good example of this is the media portrayal of the Los Angeles riot in 1992. What we witnessed in Los Angeles was the consequence of a lethal linkage of economic decline, cultural decay, and political lethargy in American life.

Race was the visible catalyst, not the underlying cause, as media portrayed it to be. 5 The portrayal of this individual event encouraged the perception that the black community was solely responsible for the riots and disturbances. According to reports, of those arrested, only 36% were black and of those arrested, more than a third had full-time jobs and most had no political affiliation. 6 Some 60% of the rioters and looters were made up of Hispanics and whites. Yet the media did not report this underlying fact. The media portrayal of this event along with other race riots has again inflicted negative charges and scorn on black awareness. Race riots in Miami in 1980 were similar to the later Los Angeles riots. Here the media also refused to search for the underlying cause behind the protest choosing instead only to depict African-American males engaged in violence and destruction. The underlying factors behind these problems were never researched or explained in prior stories.

Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 11:52am
Originally posted by phlysprts4lfe phlysprts4lfe wrote:

Yo....Black people in General need to get out the mentality of how they are portrayed on the national level, when it gets down to it, Black people have to take themselves out that negative state of mind that they cant do better. Who cares how the Media looks at Blacks as a whole, You have to take care of how the world sees you, when it comes down to it, you are your own stat. When you start with yourself, and everyone starts with themself, the outlook will change.

Stop Looking at the White man as ur Enemy.

As a result of such treatment, the media have crushed youths' prospects for future employment and advancement.

No,They have not cursed your hope for the future,  they have only cursed ur hope if you believe that. If you have enough drive and self determination no one can stop you from reaching your goals. The problem most Af amercan males have short term goals, How am i going to make this money know? How a i going to afford these new Jordans?. Education will get you thet money. Trust me.

Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 11:53am
Originally posted by scurlboy scurlboy wrote:

Iss cause black people iz from da hood and we gangsta wit ours,

and they think cause we where our sagging jeans and our white tees or we sit on corners at night that were drug dealers. Most people

arrested they days are blacks, and sometimes iss jus cause its how we present ourselves. An example is when they try to judge A.I for those who dont know Allen iverson they think hes some type thug or gangsta cause he like to rock his braids and he wanna dress the way he want when he hurt, he dont wanna wear suits and sh*t he wanna wear a tee and some jeans, thas jus how he wanna be that dosent make him a gangsta. Another example is for those who watch NBA basketball is when they changed the rules talkin bout u have to atleast goto 1 year of collage b4 going to the NBA, wana know why they did this? Because 75% of NBA players were indeed blacks getting drafted out of highschool. So they thought they could set us back by making this b/s rule. And Jermaine Oneal of the indiana pacers, spoke his mind on sportscenter about this and he said this is a bunch of b/s, cause he knows what theyre trying to do, they ""try'n to stop a black mans hustle"". I said that to one of my teachers b4 and i got in trouble , lol  btw he was italian!

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 11:54am
Kanye West says........ "Get down boy, go ahead and get down. I'm in need. I'm in need"!

Edited by BIGGMike
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 11:58am
lilkeke918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilkeke918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 7:23pm

I go to one of the top high schools in the country and in the past 3 years I've been there I have only talked about slavery for a total of 5 mins, and have never talked about the great contributions made by sons & daughters of slaves. This is barely mentioned in the history books I looked at. By this point most young black men have dropped out. I believe that if you don’t know you past your doomed to repeat it, and that there should be more mention of African Americans in history books.

I am also from the home of the Original Black Wall Street, and the riot that destroyed it. People act as though this didn't happen and that no ones family suffered from the cause of this. Why?

Im an Ocean yall cats are just ponds
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:19am
Tulsa, Ok is where Black people first had it going on. You are right they fail to mention this.
THECHOSEN1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECHOSEN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:25am
Originally posted by lilkeke918 lilkeke918 wrote:

I go to one of the top high schools in the country and in the past 3 years I've been there I have only talked about slavery for a total of 5 mins, and have never talked about the great contributions made by sons & daughters of slaves. This is barely mentioned in the history books I looked at. By this point most young black men have dropped out. I believe that if you don’t know you past your doomed to repeat it, and that there should be more mention of African Americans in history books.

I am also from the home of the Original Black Wall Street, and the riot that destroyed it. People act as though this didn't happen and that no ones family suffered from the cause of this. Why?

true...but thet might single out other cultures history
waveing is mental a barrier u must over come

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic