Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

not sure to cut my hair short.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ragdollragdoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragdollragdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: not sure to cut my hair short.
    Posted: January 27 2006 at 4:44pm

I know I am ready for a change of a new hairstyle.. My hair is now shoulder length and thick and Curly. I do not know it I want to cut it short or grow it long. One minute I am at the point that i want to cut it. That one minute later I want to grow it long to donate it to the lock of love.

I like wearing my hair in a ponytail. I feel at the age of 40 I need to change my hairstyle that I cut it this past summer to chin length from waist length.  I am looking at different hairstyles for medium and shorthair. I also belong to the short hair website. For the last couple of weeks I have be leaning on cutting it.

If I do cut it I will probably cut it short either to my ears or chin length.

Does anybody have any suggestion to help me decide on what to do. I have an appointment with the hairstyle sometime in Feburuary.

aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 12:24pm
What kind of face shape do you have?  Bobs tend to look better on people with thinner, oval faces.  I have a very round face, and had my hair in a bob when I was younger but it was very flat, thick and square - it looked dreadful!

However, funky bobs can look gorgeous, on young and older faces, and can be cut and styled in ways to compliment any face shape.  If you are leaning towards to short hair then I say go for it, it's pretty short anyway.  If you don't like it, it wont take long to grow back to shoulder length and extensions are always an option.

LINK - Here's some nice styles

LINK - Obviously these are very extravagant but they can provide inspiration

Edited by aubergine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragdollragdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 5:05pm

I think my face is oval.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 6:33am
If you're mostly just wearing ponytails, it may well be time for a change.  If you're nervous abot what you might look like, maybe try on wigs or computer simulations of different styles to see what might work on you first.
More awesome than a manatee!
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 11:56am

Hi,

I say If it feels right so to speak to, then do it!

I'm looking forward to my colorist on Wednesday, some lowlights, it'll be fun!

Good luck, enjoy! 

God Bless,...
Katie
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 7:52pm
Don't cut it just because you're older! Plenty of older women have longer hair and look great, but all this style magazine BS tells older women they NEED short hair. Only cut your hair short if you want it, and make sure you *do* want it, every women following every trend sheepishly will of course claim they want it. I know I want it because there isn't really any particular style pressure on transgendered people. I think short hair looks terrible on old women but great on younger women. You should keep it at chin length and below at the very, very least, in my opinion.

Edited by Rosalie
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 6:34am

To be fair, that's probably got more to do with the styles usually chosen by women of different ages.  Old women tend to have the big curls. . . like a throwback to their youth in the '50s. . .  "Retro" can be good.  "Looking like you're stuck in a time warp" generally isn't.

Originally posted by Rosalie Rosalie wrote:

I think short hair looks terrible on old women but great on younger women.

More awesome than a manatee!
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:40am

Um, In my Humble opinion,

I think whatever a person wants to do with thier hair is their choice, regardless of media, age, race, gender,peer pressure,etc.

Hey hair grows back, even if someone doesn't like thier hair. Plus, with(although it can be expensive) there are hair extensions, and wigs, also trying coloring, highlights, lowlights, can also make a great impact on someones looks. But lets all remember, we all are human with feelings, so treat others with concern, and respect, just as you would want to be treated. There's too much hate in this world to fuss over the "right" hair style/s.

Thanks, Katie ;)

God Bless,...
Katie
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:54pm
Go try on wigs. I've found it is the best way to get a good idea of what
you really like. Before I made a really drastic change I'd buy an
inexpensive synthetic wig and wear it a bit to see if the style really was
what I wanted. I did this, and ended up going through three wigs before
I found my new "do." My hair had been so short for so long that it took
getting used to longer and longer hair before I was okay with the style
that really looked best on me. I used to be of the mindset that over 40 or
50, short hair was better, but my mind is so changed on this, at least for
myself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragdollragdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 3:18pm
I had cancel my hair appointment for this month because i am still trying to decide which way to go. I order a catalog with wigs by Paula Young to see if I am going to like the short hair look. When I younger I had ear length hair and I hated it. I

Edited by ragdollragdoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic