Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please Help me with my curly hair :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alex15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Help me with my curly hair :(
    Posted: February 18 2006 at 7:38pm

I'm a teenage boy with shaggy curly naturally blonde hair. Its not the nice kind of curls, its the frizzy messy kind. I've tried everything to get it to look nice curly: gels, leave in conditioners, hot oil treatments, and the list goes on. So a year ago (feb. of last year) I used a drug store relaxer called ogilvie. It worked okay but I didn't get the results I expected, so not listening to the box I did it like three times in a row with in probably (i'm guessing) a two month period of time. My hair just started falling out and my scalp looked sunburnt (it hurt to touch it) and I promised myself I would never do that again. Since then I went to have it done professionally and they used rusk anticurl but it didn't seem to do anything at all. Now I flat iron it everyday and I get the look I want, but I wish there could be an easier way. My hair used to be straight until I started going through puberty. My self-esteem is different when my hair is curly too. I feel ugly with it curly and when my hair is straight its like I have a confidence boost. People also compliment it but can't really tell what I do to it. I feel ashamed of having curly hair and ashamed of the fact that I straighten my hair. I mean I should be happy that I have hair at all, because there are lots of people out there that don't have any. Please is there anyone who could help me with this? I was also wondering if I flat ironed my hair and got it just the way I wanted it and then put relaxer on it would it stay that way?

Edited by Alex15
baby*flower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:01pm
im am sorry to hear about your experiences with your hair but although i am not quite a guy i can totally relate to what your saying, i never ever wear my hair curly because i have gotten it relaxed in the past like about last year and that turned out pretty good my hair is wavy now and i use a really good flat iron to straighten it (hairart).  first of all what type of hair to you have? caucasian, mixed etc. How frizzy is it, be really specific and how long is it currently. To answer your question about flat ironing and relaxing, no it wont stay the exact way you relaxed it however straightening your hair and puting the relaxer in will make the relaxing process more effective which will make your hair straighter instead of you relaxing directly with your hair. If the relaxers that youve tried have not been effective you may need a stronger relaxer. Another option for you is you can probably grow ure hair out and get it permanently straightened because i am assuming it is not too long, so it wouldnt be too expensive at the most 300-500 for a decent job.
Alex15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:26pm

my hair is Caucasian, dish-water blonde, and the curls are loose in some areas and tight in others. When my hair is flat ironed the frizz is gone prtty much, but curly its like kinda frizzy. It really depends on if it air drys or blow drys. when i blow dry it, its like it all turns into frizz, but when it air drys it is closer to my head and less poofy and not that frizzy. It was really bad when a lady who cut my hair thinned it once and it was extremely poofy. Currently it is about 3 to 4 inches at the most and then in some places like the very back in the bottom its an inch or less. It looks and feels kinda dry like most curly hair does because of the texture, but when I flat iron it, its smooth and appears healthy. Do you have any relaxers that you personally would recommend? thank you, I really appreciate your help.

Edited by Alex15
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 7:01am

Next time you get your hair cut, you should have someone with curly hair that specializes in "spiral" cuts do it for you on dry clean hair. Even if you'll wear it straight most of the time, on the days where you have no time to style, you'll probably just have to use dime size each of gel& shine serum& it'll look nice& neat.

Going for curly: If you blowdry use a diffuser on high cold setting (its better to expose hair to a high setting for a short period of time than a low for longer).

Straight?:If you blowdry before straightening, try pulling with your fingers the top sections down. Charles Worthington does this on his celebrity clients.

And don't feel ashamed of your straightening your hair!

And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Alex15 Alex15 wrote:

my hair is Caucasian, dish-water blonde, and the curls are loose in some areas and tight in others. When my hair is flat ironed the frizz is gone prtty much, but curly its like kinda frizzy. It really depends on if it air drys or blow drys. when i blow dry it, its like it all turns into frizz, but when it air drys it is closer to my head and less poofy and not that frizzy. It was really bad when a lady who cut my hair thinned it once and it was extremely poofy. Currently it is about 3 to 4 inches at the most and then in some places like the very back in the bottom its an inch or less. It looks and feels kinda dry like most curly hair does because of the texture, but when I flat iron it, its smooth and appears healthy. Do you have any relaxers that you personally would recommend? thank you, I really appreciate your help.

since you have caucasian hair it should not be hard to tame, i think that u should relax it after u flat iron it will help to distribute the product more evenly gving you more effective results, the best relaxer i can think of is the phytospecific relaxer type 1 should be fine for your hair but if u want something stronger try index 2. Even just a mild drug store brand relaxer should do the trick as well, remeber its all in the way you apply the product and the condition ure hair is in, diffusers are also useful for making nice curls but seeing as u do not like curly hair u shuold stick with flat ironing because u stll may need to do that after u relax because it does not make it stick straight. However if u feel ashamed of straightening ure hair because of your gender grow ure hair out make sure its chemical free and get thermal reconditioning done it will give u sleek results because it works best on caucasian hair, the most u will need to do is put some product and maybe blow dry a bit, it should not be too pricy seeing as ure hair is short. Also remeber that using the right shampoo and often conditioning ure hair at least once a week is important too keep the frizz away i have been conditioning my hair for over 3 months and i can tell u it has reduced my frizz by ALOT because my hair was very dry and frizzy as well.

- take care!

Alex15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:23pm

Thank you again for your help. I'm leaning towards flat ironing it and then relaxing it. but I went in to the place that usually cuts my hair and the same lady has been working with me for a while now and she would not relax my hair for me. She said once the roots started to grow back my hair would grow sticking up or something like that. But I really cannot stand straightening it every day anymore. Its really time consuming and gets annoying. She wets my hair before she cuts it anyways and doesn't have to deal with the curls. I was looking at the relaxer you suggested and I think it sounds really good because it says its non-chemical based, and I think index two would work best for my hair but I can't find where I can buy it. thanks again : )

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 8:08pm

your welcome im glad to have helped you out, whereabouts do you live? the relaxer is sold in some places im sure but since your having trouble finding where its sold u may have to purchase this online. Ebay and amazon.com both carry this product but i would say stick with sephora as they are a more credible and reliable company.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=ZWKTF 0YC5JIPFLAUCLABXCQ?id=P6120&categoryId=5332

-goodluck and take care:)

jmfnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmfnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:11pm
Maybe you should quit fighting your curls and find a stylist who specializes in curly hair.  You just need someone to show you how to style, condition, and manage it.  Curly hair is the best, but it can be hard to figure out how to manage.  Look at www.naturallycurly.com there are a lot of converts there who used to relax, straighten, hate their hair,etc, but if you can figure out how to deal with it, you can grow to love it. I used to HATE my curly hair in high school (80's, big hair and faux Farrah days)but now i love it, because it is long, spiralled, shiny, etc. I always get compiments on my hair, but it was a long road until I found a stylist who showed me how to make it look great. Curly hair Diva stylists are few and hard to find however...
Kindofcurly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindofcurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:42am

Sorry can't help you but I know what you mean, I really feel bad when my hair is not the way I want it to be.

I really don't mind so much about curls as long as they look more like waves but volume really pisses me off.. I'd love to have straight hair but still I prefer this hair than no hair at all.

SupaFresh208 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Royal Rumble 07 Champ.360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupaFresh208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 8:42am
ditto
"FOR BETTER CONNECTIONS BRUSH SLOWER WITH LESS PRESSURE"

WOLFING COMPLETE = MY WAVES ARE UNTOUCHABLE
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:00pm

Be very very carefull. If you had your hair straighten with Rusk, and you haven't grown out and cut off all the hair that was treated with the Rusk, you cannot use Phytospecific. The compositions do not match. You could end up with no hair at all. Also the claim that the relaxer is totally natural is not true. Don't get me wrong, phytospecific is a real good relaxer but you have to be just as carefull with it. It is also, super expensive ($60).

Also do not flat iron and relax your hair the same day. Regular relaxers are not designed for that, and you could end up with mayor hair damage. The only system designed to be used with a flat iron is Thermal Reconditioning. And that is WAY too expensive (about $500).

However, I have way curlier hair than you do, and I relax it with Rusk anticurl and it is great. I use the number 3. Either they used the wrong formula on you, or they under process your hair. You see, most stylists are not chemical experts, so they use the product according to the directions on the package. What most people don't know is that the manufacturer put in the instructions that processing time is 20 mnts, to avoid unexperienced stylists, or people who do it at home, from over processing. The problem with that, is that that  could result in under processing for some people. For example, it takes my hair almost 40 minutes to fully process.
Also your blow dry technique is probably wrong. When you blow dry, you must pull the hair with a round brush, and keep roling the brush while you dry. Otherwise you will end up with a freezie mess.
If you don't want to blow dry you can tie your hair in a pony tail and let it dry. Then divide it into sections and flat iron straight.

Now, all that being said, straight hair is all about the products you use. You need to develop a sytem and find out with products work for you. Like I said, my hair is super curly, and I only flat iron twice a week, and people swear my hair is naturally straight.
I wash my hair with Redken Smooth down Shampoo, and condition with Redken smooth down Butter treat. For you Redken All Soft Heavy Cream might work better, since the smooth down line is for people with super curly, frizzie hair. Before you blow dry, you must put in a leave in conditioner with smoothing avility. I use a mixture of Sebastian potion 9 and Salerm 21 (just a pea size of salerm, is very concentrated, and a nickel size of the potion 9). Rub hands together to emulsify and distribute through hair. If that mixture is too rich for your hair, try the potion 9 with TIGI catwalk fashionista smooth and iron safe. It is purple, so is funny looking, but makes hair super smooth and soft. Next, either blow dry (with the brush like I said. It will take some practice to master) or put your hair in a pony tail until it dries(blow drying will make it last longer though, and the hair looks nicer). Once hair is dry put a drop of Redken smooth down Heat Glide on your hand, again, emulsify and distribute all throughout your hair. Do not use more than a drop or too (acording to your hair length and volume) the stuff is super concentrated, and if you use too much it will make your hair look oily. Then flat iron section by section. You will have, super straigth, super smooth, super shiny hair, that will last for days. You must however invest in a good flat iron. If you are using a cheap one, then the battle is lost. I recomend the Solia, from folica.com. Get the 1 inch one, it works great. While you are on the Website check out my review. Is actually for the Sedu flat iron (I bought it before I tried the Solia. It is just as good, but the Solia is cheaper) the 1 1/2 inch one. It was posted on 3/29/06 and it has my nickname on it (Shary). You can judge for yourself, how my hair looks and if my regimen works. Then you can decide if it is worth a try.

Let me know how it goes.
Good luck and great hair!

Shary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic