Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why does my copper hair turn black ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vicki in Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki in Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does my copper hair turn black ?
    Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:30am
When I want a nice medium rich brown? I want to cover up the light and darker copper on my head along with the brassy blonde on top but when the stylists do test strands they turn out much too dark. One side I may need to go permanent rather than demi but i do not want to do that because my hair so fried. I even have permanent low lights on one side so I finally said maybe you can just add some lowlights (demi taht is) to the other side to even them out because then from a distance it looks like my hair is medium brown rather than copper and dark brown mixed. I figured if I cannot have medium brown then the dark brown they do they can foil all over while keeping some copper that way the brassy not be so brassy and overall color not so dark. But she told me she canot do taht as the demi soaks up fast in my porous hair and she cannot go fast enough to do the whole head before they become too dark. Any ideas what to do? I worry if I buy ash it will make my hair too dark and/or too green since it is so processed. I had bough ash blond in loreal color gems from Sally as i was told to go lighter. But then I was told that blond anything will not cover. So now i just dont know what to do. there is in the demis clairol color instincts and loreal colorspa but what color to use? If I temporarly used clairol jazzed I do not know what color in that semi perm line as they are all kinda odd. But I gotta do something! my hair is way darker on one side. Any ideas? Thanks. 
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 7:30am
Well, you've answered your own question that's for sure.  Because your hair is overprocessed it is very porous, the shaft of you hair has been blown open from all the chemicals, so hair just soaks dye right up.

A protein filler would be a good idea to use to help balance the porousity and put back some of the proteins which have been stripped away.  In addition, you could use semi or demi perm dye a few shades lighter than the brown you want - and make sure you test strand.

What kind of state is your hair in now?  Is it dry, brittle, stretchy?  Because you may need to strip the colour already on you hair to provide a cleaner base to dye over.  Use Colorfix for this.

Look after you hair now, use gentle shampoos and intensive conditioners.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki in Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 11:49am
Thank U. What is a protein filler? Why has no stylist recommended it? I swear I think most stylists in my area are just not that good I have been on so many consults and none will tell you your hair is beyond their level of expertise either. Most of my color is from last summer so I wonder if it can still be stripped? And even if I find someone who used Phantom Modulat or one of those supposedly less damaging color removers, how much damage would that mean? Thanks...
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:45pm

It's not an easy problem to fix. 

Maybe you can try lowlights yourself, do a few let them process, rinse them out.  Do a few more let them process, rinse them out.  By the way, ASH always fades after a few washings, have you let those strand tests fade yet? 

Also, it's really difficult to get your hair back to a natural color with artificial pigments...it will always look colored against the natural hair coloring. 

FabulousHairExt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FabulousHairExt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:23pm

If I was you then I would go to sallys and get...

-a porosity equalizer (usually located near the perms)

-a neutral protein filler.

-and a ion hair color in light golden brown with 20 volume.

-and a wella demi-perm hair color in lt neutral brown.

First shampoo and towel dry your hair, then apply the porosity equalizer and comb thru. Then apply the neutral protein filler and leave on for 20 min, after the 20 min is up towel blot the excess filler and then apply the lt golden brown, and leave it on for 30 minutes. This will leave you with a med-lt golden brown, if the gold bothers you then apply the demi-perm lt brown for 20 min, this will reduce the gold tones. This process will leave you with a natural looking hair color, and the ion and wella color's are both very easy on your hair. It is important that you apply a filler every time you color your hair until it is no longer porus, so make sure you always apply a filler, or your hair will come out too dark!                                                                               

fyi I know my spelling sux!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki in Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:55pm
THank U 4 your replies. I wonder why no one ever mentions the genlter colorfixers, the protein fillers, the porosity equalizers. Did I show my pics on here I do not recall? I know I showed Rebekah at one time. Anyway, feels like I live in a small town rather than middle size. Yes I can try doing the lowlights mysref. worry about messing things up. I mean, the pros can';t even get it right. I will try thouhg... the color gems I want to test but need to figure out how to meausre everything since I won't be using the whole amount and need to test strand first. If I mix the whole thing then I cant resuse the dye later as it says you cannot save it. But maybe the ash is not the right color anyway, fabulous hair expert referred me to other dyes. Do I absolitely need the volume 20 light gold brown? I worry about more reds coming out? I have tried to remove the various test strands with harsh shampoo I found that I normally do not use. Even dish soap. It helped a little, made one strand a bit green though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic