Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing Out Wavy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
henchperson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:28pm
Just some notes of drugstore products people have suggested:
Suave Naturals
Christophe Curly Hydrating Spray
Pantene (?!?) curl revive treatment (odd, since I've heard terrible things about Pantene)
Herbal essences humidity defying gel

Chicago summers are all about the humid.  Be nice if I didn't look like big fluffball. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:37pm
Washed today with the Aubrey, then pinned it up in a barette and went out.
10 minutes of errands takes an hour and a half when you're on crutches, I learned. 
I got my box from Vitaminshoppe and found that I only got the conditioner and the hairspay, that the other stuff is on back order.  Oh well.
I also picked up some Suave Naturals Aloe conditioner to use in this recipes that call for 2 tablestpoons of conditioner, because Aubrey just doesn't dissolve. 
They also delivered the Curly Girl book today and...well.  I think it's really aimed at people with very curly hair.  And my hair is wavy.  So I'll see - I'm trying a bunch of different shampoos and conditioners made for people with wavy/curly hair and I'll see what works.
One thing that does work is a baking soda/water rinse and then an ACV rinse on the days I don't shampoo.  Even if I've used product on my hair, it's all squeaky clean.  Hooray for baking soda.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 10:36pm
I did a bit more research on the "J. Gordon Salon" and think I may cancel my appointment.  The rave reviews were all from straight-haired girls, which I didn't realize.
NaturallyCurly.com has some Chicago recommendations - actually a whole bunch of conflicting recommendations, including ones for someone at my old salon.  One place that is both close to me and has good reviews is the Arabesque Salon.  Supposedly, they're quite good with curly hair.  I know this next cut is not a big deal, because seriously - trim up to the hairline, trim the fringe, send me on my way, but I tend to be a creature of habit.  If I like a hairdresser or a salon, I stay there, and I'd like to find someone I can stick with for a while.
Since haircuts involve sitting down - which is the only thing I can do right now - I may give them a call to see what they've got open in the next few days.  I'm tired of being this shaggy.
Due to trying out some product today that left my hair sticky and nasty, The Husband helped me washed it in the sink with baking soda and rinsed it with ACV.  Squeaky clean and shiny.  Now I'm wondering if I'm ever going to buy shampoo again. 

Edited by henchperson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 2:36pm
So yesterday's foray out to some drugstores backfired in a way that kept me up with horrible pain in my ankle until 5am. 
I took advantage of the quiet to mix up the following recipe:
3/4 cup hot to warm distilled water
2 tablespoons conditioner (I used Suave Naturals, Aloe)
2 drops of vegetable glycerine
3 drops of Jojoba oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Epsom Salt (though it was probably a little over a half)

The recipe also called for 1/2 teaspoon table salt, but I didn't see the point.  I mixed it up and put it in the fridge.

Tried it today, which is a non-washing day.  Hell, with my ankle like this, it's a non-standing day.  This is great scrunching spray for dry hair.  I can't wait to try it on wet.

I also left a message for Lena at Arabesque Salon.  She hasn't called back.  I did say in my message that I'm available pretty much any time, I have curly hair I'm trying to grow out, she was recommended to me, and I'm on crutches and can do nothing but sit at the moment.  So, hopefully she'll call back.  I cancelled the appointment Jessica - all the positive reviews seemed to be from Trixies (which may be a Chicago term, so let me know if you don't know what a Trixie is) - and Trixies all have long sleek smooth hair.   Eeep.

Edited by henchperson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 9:14am
Still no callback from Lena.  But I have to remember that it's only 8:30am and I got up at 4am.  If anyone suggests to you that you should tear all the ligaments and tendons in your ankle for fun, slug them.  I am not getting enough sleep.  Painkillers last for four hours, so I sleep for four hours. 
Washed my hair last night with the California Baby stuff and left a little conditioner in.  The thing with Aubrey is it's just so heavily perfumed.  I did get a new bottle of a recommended dry-hair conditioner from them, which I'll try.  But for the moment, I'm not buying any more product until I figure out what I'm going to do.
Finally sat down and read Curly Girl all the way through, and a lot of it makes sense to me.  I think, when my hair is longer, it's curly.  But right now, with the longest piece at 5", it's wavy, unless I take steps (pin it back, us barettes, etc.) to make it not-wavy.  However, when I scrunched it up in a humid area, I had curly hair.  Long curly hair.  Here's the pic, from our postponed-by-3-years 2002 honeymoon to (ulp) New Orleans.  The light isn't great, but you can see my hair.

That looks pretty damn curly to me.  It's also, as you can tell, bleached blonde and brittle and was in terrible shape.  It wasn't too long after that when I decided to go back to the chin-length bob - you know the one that doesn't look right without perfectly straight hair?  I still wonder what the hell these stylists were thinking. 
Next up: why is the California Baby product so light compared to Aubrey?  Why does my hair feel cleaner after I use the CB stuff than when I use Aubrey, even if it's softer with Aubrey?  Maybe....maybe the trick is conditioner-only with Aubrey, and use CB for shampoo because it's so gentle.  Anyway, I'll check the ingredients.

In case anyone is reading this and saying "Jesus f**k, she posts a lot," please remember that my left foot is currently non-weightbearing and I'm hobbing around on crutches.  Seriously - I have nothing       better to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic