Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women @ Barbershops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women @ Barbershops
    Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:05am

Hi

As a barber I have seen lot more ladies as clients than in the past.Is this the same trend in your area? Not all have been getting short haircuts. It's been trims,bobs, shags and buzz cuts.Is it the $$$ for the cut. At the price the cut is a bargin For most ladies the visit is the first of many. A few firends also see the same trends in their area also. What do you see?

Mike

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:15am

I don't know any girls that have their hair cut at the barbers.  I think most girls prefer to go somewhere pretty and feminine where they feel pampered.  Or maybe it's just because nearly all of my female friends and colleagues have long hair. 

Plus also I don't know whether many barbers would offer services like manicures or even hair colour that are all part of the salon experience.  I guess it just would never cross my mind to get my hair cut with men, perhaps because barber shops don't market themselves to female clients in the same way as traditional ladies' hairdressers?

I have recently found a new hairdresser who I really rate so I'm not on the lookout for alternatives anyway!

Edited by trophywife
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 10:13am

Trophywife

I honor your views and they are very much correct.Maybe because the sign says Barber/Stylist they come in. Most have short hair or had short hair in the past and maybe it don't matter who cuts their hair. I can realy understand not having lots of ladies just beating down the door. But thats OK I am happy and pleased when they like the way the style looks.As far as perms, colors and nail services yes you are absouluty correct. The time involed at schooling and client time would not warrant this for a shop of my size. I believe if you want nails you should go to a nail salon. If you want a perm or color go to a salon. If you want a cut go to a stylist or barber. Thank you for your views, you make a good point and that's whats its all about.

Mike

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:45pm
I've heard of women with long (and even very long) hair going to a barber for just a trim of the tips of their hair.  I think the basis is that they believe barbers, in general, have a more professional approach to their customers than stylists, in general.  That is, barbers tend to clearly understand and respect who the customer is -- the person paying the bill.  Some (not all, not most, but some) stylists expect their customers to play recipient of their "artistic" creations (or their human dummy to experiment with the latest cut/color techniques), whether or not it's what the customer asks for.
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 6:40am

This has happend many of times  I'm sure. I feel that a person who cuts all day has a better understaning of cuts. Practice, Practice Practice... After a couple of years you cut so much hair in so many differant ways. Most clients that come in have been in the shop before either with their husband or they brought their children down for a cut. I imagine once they feel comfortable they  have their haircut also. Most barber's are just that, but some of the younger generation call themself's Barber/Stylist and handle some main product line. I have a feeling this may have a lot to do with making clients feel comfortable also. Some ladies have a fetish getting short haircuts I'm sure. There are a few who come in with husbands for cuts and even those ladies don't get short cuts. The average cost of a cut in a salon in our area is around $18. plus tip. Some have no problem with this. For the past year $9. is quite a bargin I guess for a cut that is just a good if not better. Hey, the way I look at it is that Having your haircut by a person you trust should be a top priority no matter who it may be.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic