Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair changed texture after bleaching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eileeninCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileeninCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair changed texture after bleaching
    Posted: April 25 2006 at 5:54pm

I had an allergic reaction to the bleach and color toner when I had highlights done in a salon 5 months ago. 

The chemcial damage seems to have changed my hair strands from medium/slightly wavy, to fine, straight and fly-away. No matter how much conditioner I use or what I try, the thin hairs are flying.

This is a first for me and I don't know how to deal with my new dry, fine hair. No body at all, just flat. My dermatologist said if the bleach fried the hair strands they would die and fall out. Which a lot has. But what is left is still very fine hair.

Has anyone heard of this before? I never colored or bleached my hair before either. Never will again. I'm 47 years old so don't know if hair will recover.  

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 9:12am

Is it growing back in fine and thin?  I have never heard of anything like that but if that is happening to you you should probably see that dermatologist again.  To my knowledge the only thing that changes hair texture permanently is chemotherapy.

If you are talking about the hair that was actually fried by the bleaching you may need to cut a lot of it off before it will begin to behave and look better.  Really damaged hair breaks off and it usually breaks at the point where the fried hair meets new growth.  That may be why it appears thin to you.  It is actually much thinner since you have lost a lot of it due to breakage.  If you cut it shorter it may slow the breakage as there will be less weight on each strand.  You can also try using deep conditioners every day.  My daughter did that after a particularly bad episode with bleach and after a couple of weeks her hair looked and behaved much better.  I have also had that same experience with perms.  The best thing to do is cut as much of the damage off as possible.  At least you have had five months of new growth.  That is a real good start.

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 12:40am
I think it's just a given that bleach will change the texture of your hair. It's pretty normal actually. Bleached hair is always damaged hair. My naturally wavy hair looks more like it's crimped when I bleach. Of course, once I style it, it looks better. Serums are good for "fly aways." Keeps them down. 
missy60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 12:52am
my hair changed texture to it seems I have so much more of it.  It wont dry either my hair always dried so fast now it stays damp a long time.  I dry it a little just like I always did but before it would be wet for maybe 10 mins after drying now it is like an hour before it gets dry close to my scalp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic