Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extensions for really fine hair??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Femmefatale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Femmefatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extensions for really fine hair??
    Posted: May 09 2006 at 10:31am

I have extremely fine hair and would really like it to look thicker, will extensions do this? I am getting to the stage where I am embarrassed to leave the house it is that bad.

I have no idea which method would be the kindest to my hair and would like them to last a few months. I would consider temporary clips or wefts if they are more suitable. I live in the London area and travel isn't really too much if an issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you x

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 8:57am

I don't have much experience with extensions.  My daughter had them for about a week and took them out because the hair they gave her ended up being very wavy and she is accustomed to very straight hair and couldn't style it properly.  I understand extensions can be very damaging on fine hair, especially the ones that are sewn in.  Just take a look at Sharon Stone's hairline.  It is looking kind of scary to me--like it might be receding.  I would be willing to bet she will show up with very short hair again soon just because of what the extensions are doing to her hair.  Be very careful.  We understand very well the trials and misery of baby fine hair but it has to be treated with great care.

Good luck.

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 11:13pm
I've heard the like glued or sewn part of extensions (you can tell I don't use them when I don't even know the terminology -_-;;; ) can show through on fine hair, if you're not careful.
More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Femmefatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 7:38pm
Yeah, I really do not want to damage my hair, or have something done that looks obvious.

I was looking at Lucinda Ellery extensions, a place that also deals with hair loss and problems like that, so thought that maybe they would be far more concerned with looking after my hair.

I am just really fed up with my hair, almost embarrassed to leave my house in the mornings, I need something done.

Thank you for your advice
TaylorAnne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaylorAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:00am
Ive found a great supplier of extensions www.headlineshairpieces.com.au and one of their specialties are clip on hairpieces which add volume to fine hair and make it appear fuller. headlines is used by many celebs iincluding delta goodrem, ana kournikova etc. hope this helps
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:06am

Are you actually losing your hair or do you just have very fine, thin hair?  If you aren't actually losing hair have you considered going very short?  I have horribly fine, thin, pin straight hair.  I have found that for me either a blunt chin length bob or my current very short spikey look work best.  I actually have friends who didn't know me before the spike 'do and they think I have thick hair.  It makes me laugh.  It does require a couple of products but it is very easy to do and will last a couple of days.

Please, take a look at recent pictures of Sharon Stone.  She has very fine, thin hair and it looks like the extensions are pulling it out around her hairline.  It also shows in some pictures.  She is rich enough to be able to get the very best extensions and installation person so keep that in mind.

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
ElleBess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElleBess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 6:32am
I know just how you feel. My hair is fine in texture and thin in volume. My total hair ponytail diameter is about a cm. I get very depressed over this, and i feel like i cant be myself, and dress as i want to because no matter what i do i just dont look good, cos my hair looks crap!
Just thought i would let you know i feel the same way as you. I wish there was an answer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Femmefatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 1:09pm
I've had hair extensions, they have completely changed my life, I can leave my house with confidence now. I really couldn't cope before, it made me feel so low, I was literally comparing myself to every single person I saw, thinking how much better everyone looked, now I have long, thick beautiful hair that I can be proud of!!!

It may not be for everyone, but it is one on the best choices I have ever made!!

FF x

HeatherCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 9:19am
I had gl which is fusion I'd advise against it..it will take around 2yrs to fix the damage...maybe try clip on pony tails or clip in extensions.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Femmefatale Femmefatale wrote:

It may not be for everyone, but it is one on the best choices I have ever made!!

What kind did you get?  I'm happy to hear that you love you hair!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Femmefatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 4:33am
i've got strand by strand fusion extensions. They were done by a lady called Michelle Henderson, they've been in over a month and I love them!!
I'm sure whatever damage may happen to my own hair, it wont make me feel any worse than i did before and I will probably just keep extensions in for as long as I can.

The clip in hair extensions are not great i've heard, because they put too much strain on the area that they clip on to and often with fine hair they are difficult to disguise!!

FFx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Femmefatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 4:34am
and by "keeping them in" I mean keep re-doing them, I realise you have to get them removed after 3/4 months.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 5:12pm
I guess it really depends on how fine the hair is. I have fine hair and I wear clip ins every day. I like it because I can take them out at night and I don't wear them on the weekends unless I'm going out. I'm also able to do conditioning treatments to my hair. No one can tell I'm wearing them. Believe me, I've asked some of the most critical people.

The fusion has been known to show through on fine hair. I did have the fusion for a while and people could see them. They also do the most damage. Great Lengths especially. The stylist will tell you to wear them for 6 months. That is complete torture to your hair. The clip ins are also a hole lot more economical.

If you haven't already, check out the extensions portion of this forum. That's where I learned most of what I know. Most of the girls there wear protac tape to adhere the wefts. They get great length and volume and it;s much cheaper than fusion.

Edited by malibu - July 28 2006 at 5:13pm

Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:55pm
I think extensions probably do more damage than good...but it's constant pulling, so if you like a continous wave of pain....
;)
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
jensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 4:14pm
Hi, I am new to this forum and wanted to share my horrors with both very fine and i mean babyfine curly  hair.  the first time i had extensions put in, they were made of little braids and sewn around - pretty much approx. one inch and they looked great!  the hair the best human hair possible.  but they drove me crazy in the front because you can't wear your hair up and ithe braids show in the front or if not they all look like extensions.  the last time i had them done, they pulled my hair out and my hair is much thinner.  then i cut it off and now i am unhappy, but to top it off, i straightened it so it is even more finer!!! bummer..... 
anyway i was looking into microchet extensions and wondered if anyone had any knowledge about it?  I live in new york.  Help!!
jen
HABEEB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HABEEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 6:32am
clip in extensions would be the safest option! and probs the best option! as it wont pull your hair out like the rest of the method and it much cheaper than the rest, I buy my hair extensions from www.buyhair.co.uk and its great! x
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic