Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 vol. to 30 vol. tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
green_kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green_kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 vol. to 30 vol. tips?
    Posted: June 10 2006 at 10:47pm
Hi.  A few weeks ago I used Colorfix on my hair, then I put L'Oreal Excellence HiColor Red Fire on my hair using 20 vol.  In the intructions, it says that you should use 20 vol. on hair that has been straightened, and although my hair has not been straightened, I had just used Colorfix on it and wanted the least amount of damage possible so I used 20 vol. instead of 30.

Despite using Colorfix, my roots came out at least 2-3 shades brighter than the lengths of my hair (like always).  Now that it has faded, it looks relatively even, though I want to have as bright a result as I had on my roots on my LENGTH as well. 

In the directions, it says to put the color on your lengths for 20 minutes, roots for the last 10.  How do you do this without screwing up??  Any tips would be appreciated!  Also, would it have any effect on my hair if I use 30 vol. instead of 20. next time?  Or does it make no difference? 

Thanks guys!
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 9:37am
Umm...  PLEASE don't do that.
The length is more porous than the roots, so it will soak up more color and look "muddy."  The difference in the porosity is what made your roots brighter than the rest of your hair in the first place.
I would suggest using a porosity treatment (or at the very least, super-conditioning) and then try a strand test using the vol. 30.  Keep an eye on it... the roots may need 20 minutes or so, but the ends probably won't need more than 10 minutes.
Good luck!  Smile

P.S.  If you need to do a few strand tests to get the timing right, I would still stick with vol. 30 developer.  Red molecules are large and more difficult to get into the cuticle than other colors.  Vol. 30 will open the cuticle more than vol. 20.  It's a better choice for you, since the color faded so quickly when you used vol. 20.

Edited by KarenNJ - June 11 2006 at 9:42am
Strand test, strand test, strand test!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic