Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Family Members/Traditions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FLYGIRL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYGIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Family Members/Traditions
    Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:26pm
Do you ever feel like your significant other's family is strange?  My boyfriends brother received a computer for his birthday from his wife's sister.  I personally think the gift was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy out of line and unnecessary and I would have been pissed if he received such an extravagant gift.  He says that they've been knowing each other for years and she didn't have anything/one to spend her money on anyway.  I personally find it obnoxious.  Am I overreacting???  It really isn't any of my business but it adds to the many other odd things I think his family does. Ermm   I think accepting such an extravagent gift says something about the persons morals.  what do you think???
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:28pm
I feel a bit badly accepting extravagant gifts, even from people I've known for years, but that's because I know I'm too poor to properly reciprocate.  However, I've gotten pretty good at finding inexpensive gifts that seem more expensive than they were, so that helps a little.
If someone gave me a computer, I wouldn't turn it down.  I'd simply try to find something that looks impressive but is still within my budget to give that person. . . along with my apologies for being too poor to afford better.
More awesome than a manatee!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 6:55pm
I don't think is that much of a big deal. I mean, it depends what kind of relationship they have. My ex-brother in law was like a big bother to me. He was really good to me, and sort of a father substitute, since my daddy lives in another country. So he was the one checking out my boyfriend when he came to pick me up. Making sure he looked like a decent guy and all that stuff. I had to live with him and my sister when I first moved to Miami. And he always treated me like I was a part of "their" family. Never made me feel like I was a burden to them, and always included me in everything. His son, which he had when he was in high school, also lived with them. And he never made a difference between the both of us. If he got something, so did I. If it was family night out, I was included. If he saw me come home from work and noticed that my shoes looked worn out, he would make a comment about it, and by the time I turned around, he had already left me $100 on top of the table so I can get myself a new pair of shoes. So I really grew to love and respect him. And became really close and really good friends with him. He always gave me good advice and was always there when I needed something. Until this day, eventhough he and my sister are divorced, we have a great relationship, we really love each other and feel like family. If I'm ever short money and need a loan, I know I can call him and if he has it I will get it.

So if he and my sister were still married and he mentioned he wanted something expensive, or even if he didn't mention it to me, but I knew he needed it, I would definitly buy it for him if I had the money. He was way too good to me, and let me live under his roof for 2 years without ever charging me a cent for rent. On contraire, he provided for me just like he did for my sister. Always treated me with the outmost respect. He was also great to my mom, and whenever she came to visit, would treat her like a queen. He would buy her whatever she wanted and on top of that would give her a bunch of money so she could buy whatever she wanted. So until this day whe love him deeply, my mom loves him like a son, and whenever he comes to pick up my nephews on the weekends, we are always kiding around and laughing, and making fun of each other.

So you see, it all depends on the situation. Maybe they have a really close relationship or maybe he's helped her out, or gotten her out of trouble at some point, and feels greatfull and loves him like a bother.

Now, if that is not the case, and they don't have a close relationship, then yes, I would have a problem with it, and would be questioning her motives. But if they're just a close family, then is no big deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic