Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Natural nail wrecked forever??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
osheri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural nail wrecked forever??
    Posted: July 23 2006 at 5:50pm

I had acrylics applied so I could grow my natural nails out. I'm a cosmetologist and my hands are in water alot I even started biting them again. So I went in to get them put on. The tech said "sure no problem" When they were applied he did use an electric file (which I asked if they did because I did not want that) He assured me that it would be done very lightly. A few times it did hurt/burn but it did get better the more times I got them filled. I had them on for about three months , my natural nails were growing out. I aksed him if they soak them off when I wanted them off and he said yes. Anyway the day came and when I went in he started to clip then preceed to tear them off! the whole time I kept saying" I thought you were going to soak them off" he kept smiling and saying yes but did not. He could hardly speak english.

Well my question is now that my nails broke off a day after this was done, and there are no ridges on then but they are thin, is it possible to grow back a healthy natural nail or did I wreck them forever?
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 10:22am
Im sorry he trashed your nails.  As you figured, that should NOT be happening (dont ever let anyone rip your acrylic off!)  The good news is that it is only temporary - your natural nails will grow back healthy.  The bad news is that it will take a few months and you will have to deal with thin torn nails until then.    My best advice is use a good nail strengthener daily, a good cuticle oil daily and keep your nails short!
osheri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 11:29am
Thankyou Naildiva
I will do just that.
Deb89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deb89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 4:09pm
My friend always gets aryclic put on her nails and without them they are thin and easily break. So I agree with naildiva on this one.
SeaSiren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 1:48pm
Help!!!!  I also tried acrylic nails to make my nails longer and stronger.  They are nice but I didn't like the expense and time it takes to get fills.  My nails were always strong until I started a certain medication.  Now I have a minor case of psoriasis which affects my nails making them weak and split then break in uneven pieces!  I removed the acrylic and my nails are a mess!  I cut them short and am using products to repair.
My question is:  Is there a product that can be used under polish to add strong protection yet doesn't make the polish peel off?  I've tried a few with no success.  I don't want to go broke over this new problem.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated. 

Edited by SeaSiren - September 07 2006 at 1:50pm
She Creatures Unite......
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:26pm

Nail strengtheners can be used as a base coat and will help strengthen your nails.  BUT, any damage you have will have to grow out before your nails are back to normal.

SeaSiren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 4:36pm
Thank you Naildiva......
Do you have any suggestions on which brand of strengthener is best.  I see a bunch of them in the stores.  What do you think about Sally Hansen products?
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 10:07am
Being a nail tech, I dont really like over the counter products (like Sally Hansen)  My best advice would be to go get a professional manicure and ask the nail tech what products would be best for your nail type.  Its hard to say without actually seeing and working with your nails.  And when I say professional, I mean a real nail tech, not a quickie $10 manicure.
SeaSiren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 1:17am
Thanks for the info....I'll see if I can find one.  I live in a smallish town now but there must be a nail tech with real knowledge here somewhere.  If not I'll try a beauty supply store.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 10:32pm
They arent wrecked forever..in a few weeks/months they will be good as new.this is why I stopped getting fakes though. Hurts too darned much when you get them off and trashes your nails.
rollerGrrL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollerGrrL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 6:30am
Acrylics should not hurt - either getting them done or taking them off, and if they do you should change nail salons! Never rip acrylic off - soak them off or buff them down & grow them out.

If you rub nail creme in your nails will be back before you know it. Drink milk - simple & works like a charm.
i feel it rolling through me.. i got the roller boogie..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic