Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I prolong manicure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haley4540 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haley4540 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I prolong manicure?
    Posted: September 07 2006 at 6:32am
My manicure chips the next day, two at best!!  Is there a top or base coat that will prolong it?  Also, what nail polish stays on the longest?
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:32pm

There are many factors that determine how long your nail polish will wear.  Are your natural nails thin and flimsy?  Are you in water a lot?  Chemicals?  Do you use a base and top coat?  How do you prepare the nail before polishing?

Thin flimsy nails will not hold polish very long.  Neither will very moist nails or nails that are exposed to water and chemicals.

Most consumers dont realize that you cant just throw nail polish on your nails.  You have to cleanse thea nail first (vinegar, pure acetone, 91% alcohol all work well.)  Then Dry thoroughly and use a good quality base coat (I like Creative's Sticky - sold in salons)-base coat is made to hold polish on nails and prevent staining - do not skip this step! Follow with 2 coats of color and a good top coat (my fave's are Creative's Super Shiny and Seche Vite - again, both from salons).  Let dry.  The faster the polish dries, the shorter time it will last (thats why all those 60 second nail polishes suck!) so let it dry naturally if possible, or use a good quick dry spray/drops.  Then every other day, apply another coat of top coat to help prolong your manicure.  Top coat seals and shines the polish.

Hope this helps!
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:54pm
Oh, I should probably mention that no matter what nail polish you use, what will determine wear more than anything is the quality of your base and top coats and your application.  Having said that, some of the best natrual nail polishes out their are Zoya, Orly, Spa Ritual, essie, Creative, Toma, Jessica and Haken.  OPI is fine too, but was made more for artificial nails.  All of these are professional brands that you will find in a salon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic