Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermofiber lifespan and other q's.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*bridget* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *bridget* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermofiber lifespan and other q's.
    Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:39pm
I was thinking about installing some Thermofiber w/Protac on myself just to try it out since I'm on a budget right now.
I'm just not into installing loose synth extensions on myself at the moment since it takes so long to do and I'm impatient!

I'm wondering if the Thermofiber hair loses it's "oomph" after a while like other synth hair? Is it lighter or less dense than other synth?
Does it only come in straight? I've read about how to curl it and I'm good with that, but if it comes with a wave that would make my life easier.

Thanks for any help you can give!

http://www.boogiemama.com
Poose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:45pm
I don't know how much of a wave you're looking for , but...
http://stores.ebay.com/Vixenwigs_20-Wavy-Hair_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ15QQftidZ2QQtZkm
^..^
*bridget* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *bridget* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 5:05pm
Ooo that looks pretty.. but the colors are somewhat limited. I like the mixes of the Thermofiber, that is what has me so interested.
nomorebaldie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomorebaldie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:07pm
Hi Bridgett:

I'm at about eight weeks with my thermofiber blend in, some I fused the double wefts in, some with protac tape and few #613 I put in with shrinkies as highlights.  I  like the thermofiber, but then I haven't found a perfect hair yet. Mine is pretty sticky in places but it still looks better than alot of hair I've worn for shorter periods of time.  It is lightweight for sure and dries fast, hold curl ok but like someone said on an earlier thread, it does tend to separate in a peculiar way.  Over all, you can't beat it for the money, at least until you find the perfect hair.
*bridget* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *bridget* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by nomorebaldie nomorebaldie wrote:

Mine is pretty sticky in places

What do you mean by sticky? Bunchy?

Also, I was thinking Thermofiber is a brand name because I was looking at shrinkies.net.. is it just a name for a TYPE of hair with different brand names?

Thanks!
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:33pm
yep bridget, thermofiber is a type of fiber, meaning its a heat resistant fiber that can withstand heat. There are several brands of thermal fiber or some call them thermofiber.
*bridget* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *bridget* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:46pm
Thanks Sherrie, today I have learned about something new! Thermal reactive synthetic hair. LOL

In the past I really had no interest in it but after researching I see it isn't all that bad. I'm always up for trying new things. On myself first of course. Wink
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:56pm
I would suggest sticking with a straight textured thermal fiber. The straight seems to get better reviews than the wavy textures. And if you want wave or curl you can curl it yourself, and most brands of thermal will hold the curl until you straighten it out.
nomorebaldie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomorebaldie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 10:27pm
Hi Bridgett:

No when I say sticky I mean it sort of sticks you like dolls hair.  It doesnt  look like doll's hair though, and it only bothers me on the back of the neck.  You get used to it but it reminds me that I'm still looking for the perfect strands.  You'll like it.  Just don't snap the ends with a brush,  and get some silicone otherwise its fine and very low maintainence.  
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 4:31pm
I've tried a dozen or so now and I won't do the wavy or curled thermal. Since it curls so well anyway, I just drop in whatever amount of curl I'm in the mood for. It never goes completely straight again unless it's ironed out. I always have a lot of body or a good wave left. Starting with straight texture has always been the better bet. Agree with nomorebaldie on the ends...snapping (or stretching) will cause a coil reflex, just like all synth.

*bridget* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *bridget* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by nomorebaldie nomorebaldie wrote:

Hi Bridgett:

No when I say sticky I mean it sort of sticks you like dolls hair. 

Ok, I gotcha. I've been wearing synth for years so I don't think it'll bug me.
I felt some thermofiber at my local beauty supply and it feels a lot different than the synth I usually use. (a lot better!)

Amm, while I think the waves I've seen a few pics of look nice.... do you think the hair will take a 1" barrel regular curling iron? I have a higher heat iron w/settings but that makes smaller curls. I'm more into slight body than waves.  Also, do the ends fray at all if razored?
Thanks!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 8:09pm
I don't see why a 1" barrel would be a problem at all. Tighter curls will be the result, naturally. I checked the iron I use all the time and it measures 4" around the whole barrel and I use on the highest setting getting curls like below. My razors have been extremely dull for a while now so I've never used them on this. I do the vertical cutting/blending with a light hand and point cut the ends if needed.
brakenzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brakenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 5:03pm
OMG Amm, your hair is beautiful!! How long does each install last, and how many uses can yu usally get out of it? Also I ordered some Elite Thermofiber from Shrinkies yesterday(11/17) anda it also was shipped yesterday, do you know how long it usually takes to arrive? I am soooooo excited to get started:)

Edited by brakenzie - November 18 2006 at 5:05pm
Brakenzie
hairraisin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairraisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 5:15pm
Have you tried WaWa thermofiber? It's been around for awhile, always gets good reviews and does not feel like "doll hair" when you use the right products.
brakenzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brakenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 5:39pm
I am also waiting for my WAWA to arrive to mix with the Elite Thermo. What was your experience with either?
Brakenzie
*bridget* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *bridget* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

I checked the iron I use all the time and it measures 4" around the whole barrel and I use on the highest setting getting curls like below.

That's what I meant, I was thinking diameter not circumference. Mine is 5" then.
I'm excited to get the hair and play around with it. I'm hoping it razors well and it will match my hair without me having to lighten too much. I have bleach under this now! LOL

I'll post pics whenever the momentous occasion occurs.
Poose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 5:03pm
I just want to add, I now offically hate wawa, for something that's tangle-free I must be a fucl<in' genius for being able to tangle it without effort.
Good thing its so cheap.
I've had synthetic before, and it never ever got that bad.
 Ever.
I am taking it out asap (I have already cut it 10"). Unhappy
^..^
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 6:05pm
Thanks, brakenzie! I can go 6-8 weeks before the Protac starts poopin out. Synth is so cheap that I always toss and do new for reinstalls.
staceywc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staceywc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 10:39am

AMM--In that photo what brand/color of hair are you using?  I've been sitting on the fence on extensions since I joined this board LOL (a LONG TIME) and that particular photo has me itching to do something...finally!  Of course I have to save my money but...your  haircolor and texture (fine) seems very much like mine though I'm stick straight so if you'd share the color you are using and which thermo I'd be forever grateful Star

Please?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic