Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My curly hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dalton1216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalton1216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My curly hair
    Posted: December 08 2006 at 11:04am
http://talk.hairboutique.com//uploads/20061207_192612_tn.jpg

Here is a picture of me. I'm thinking of cutting it short, I have a thread going in the short hair talk and their all telling me I should do it. I'd just like some more advice.
dalton1216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalton1216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 11:07am
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 12:08pm

I assume your curls are natural???  Have you ever been to naturallycurly.com?  It's an awesome site!  I would encourage you to check it out before making a decision.

Also, keep in mind that the hair in those pictures have been styled to perfection, probably with curling irons and lots of styling products, by professional hands.  Also that your curls appear to be tighter than those in the examples.  Your hair will probably not turn out looking exactly like the picture. 

I cannot find it in myself to tell you to cut it because I love long hair.  But I will encourage you to do whatever you think is best for you and what you'd be most comfortable with.  If you ask people who like short hair, they'll tell you to cut it.  If you ask people who like long hair, they'll tell you not to.  Ask the people whose opinions really matter to you (such as a significant other or a very dear friend) who will give you unbiased advice on what they think looks best on you. 
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
mzfrizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzfrizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 1:07am
I agree that those pics are super styled hair, I think your hair is going to look similar to the way it looks in your pic, only shorter, which is cute.
http://str8great.blogspot.com
baby*flower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 3:51pm
I agree with hairbraider, I love long hair and if you asked me I would tell you to grow it out longer since curly hair becomes much more manageable when its longer because of the looser curl, but make sure you also take your face shape/structure into account and of course make sure its how you want it to look because thats what matters most.
cinderella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 1:08pm
I dont feel me without long hair but in my 44 years I cut it really short and it didnt suit me, however one other style I like is the chin length curly bob. Its the only other cut I like other than long.
happy abi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy abi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 7:32pm

cinderella

My last Salon Hair Set was 12 July 08, as I just start a two week holiday from work 11th Aug and planning on setting my hair at home I told the lady who helps me chose my clothes and makeup, and she has offered to come over and do my hair for me she knows I like it curly, so l went out and purchased perms rods, perm papers and two bottles of a firm setting lotion and ultra firm hold lacquer as well. She phoned saying she was on her way over. Then she was here with a ring at the bell, and had brought over a bag which she later told me had all the items to curl my hair, I did not tell her of my purchases after all she was doing me a great favour, she suggested before we start would I like to put a chair in front of a mirror so you can watch me roll your hair. Told her we could do this at my dressing table, was told to feel free and dress in any clothes I prefer then we can get you shampooed & set. I went and changed into crocheted tights a pencil skirt, blouse and heels, Betty remarked how nice I looked, after all, she had helped me pick the clothes. She wrapped a towel round my shoulders and started to wash & condition my hair we might as well give you the full works she said, I didn’t mind at all just loved every moment. Whilst my hair was still damp it was combed through she told would section this with clips, and once complete the and the clips taken out one by one, she applied a setting gel to the hair and combing it through again she started to roll my hair on to what she told me were sponge rollers, the 1st was wound into place and secured with a bobby pin even though Betty said, due to length of hair they were not really required, but it will ensure the don’t budge, then she started all over again. I must say she was being very precise in neatly winding the hair, and as each securing pin that went in, I felt against my skin which was told me the rollers were tight and the pins doing a good job. Once finished Betty was so pleased with her efforts she held a mirror up so I could see the end result, apart from being thin on top my hair had been neatly rolled it was fantastic just neat lines of rollers, she told me that the hair will look to be wound too tight but it was the give in the sponge roller’s. The big smile that came over me, told her I was more than pleased and reaching for her bag took out a pink hairnet, knowing it was my favourite colour she carefully placed over the rollers and tied the net in place as she tightened it I could feel the rollers against my scalp she asked me if I would like to keep rollers in till the evening and let hair dry naturally, she told me would return to take out them out. After she had left I couldn’t stop looking in the mirror at my hair with all rollers in place it was lovely. Evening soon came and Betty was back she had telephoned ahead I was still dressed as she had left me, commenting how fast the time had gone, she said well if you like wearing the rollers I suppose you could sleep in them, that is an option with foam rollers plus the longer you wear them it would encourage a better curl making sure the hairnet was tight so they would not move over night.  Betty then left said will be back about 9 next morning. As usual the next day Betty phoned to say will arrive in a couple of minutes I was lucky she only lived round the corner, then my time had come, she first asked me to take a seat and took off the hairnet, checked all rollers well there still firmly in place and again showed me the back & sides she saw my face light up again as I could just imagine the curl that it would create she said it seems a shame if you don’t want to take them out I can come over each night to put your hairnet on, so you can sleep in them, in the meantime she told me that it would do wonders to take a hot shower as the steam will also help curls. Thumbs%20Up As soon as she went I had went ahead with this and purposely left the windows closed so there would be plenty of steam, she arrived early evening and I was netted again. We had an arrangement she would be there about 9 every morning and evening. When the next day came and door bell went it was Betty with a bag she asked if I wanted to go out shopping with her up town she said I have already checked the train times. I told her a trip to town on public transport would be out of the question with rollers in. She said not to worry and produced a pink beanie that I could wear over the rollers. I was used to wearing ladies clothes in public so this would not be a problem. She told me once shaved she would do my make-up. After coming out of bathroom I noticed Betty had been in my wardrobe and picked all the clothes she wanted me to wear for our trip out, this included heels, breast forms a nude long line bra etc: - they were laid out on my bed. Once dressed and made up, she positioned the chunky cable knit beanie it was very warm. We caught the train and ended up shopping for make up, more dresses, skirts & tops, when finished our excursion, we left catching the next train home, we got back late afternoon she asked me in for a cup of tea and suggested apply mouse along each roller and once dissolved she put the hair net on and she sat me under the hood. After about 30mins or so she turned the dryer off she carefully put the pink beanie back on to keep the heat in and we sat and talked, once again she said you can sleep in them again tonight, keep the beanie on as well as this will help, but this will be the last night as I need them tomorrow night. Not believing what I was hearing another night in rollers brilliant. We agreed a time for next morning and I left the house delighted with the way she had treated me. It was 9.30 and the phone went the next morning Betty was on her way over; I had already planned to be seated at my dressing table as this had a large mirror so I could see as the rollers were taken out. Opening the door to her I was wearing dark maroon dress that she had helped me choose. Taking my seat at the dressing table after removing the hat and hair net, she starting removing the rollers at the sides first so I could see the results from the rollers as I had kept in for a long time, my hair, it was far better than I could have ever imagined the curls were tight and springy, if when the rollers once taken out at the back were as curly as the sides it’s a wonderful dream come true, as she was taking the rollers out she commented to me that is was worth keeping them in for the 4 days and nights it has really improved the curls, and you will find they will last longer. Lovely to wear curls but will be washing them out before go back to work 26th Aug 08. Cry

Regards

JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 9:01am
I think you would benefit from a shape-up, but you don't have to go short!
came from a super-short razor cut. CG since April 2008
3a-M-iii

sandysandara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandysandara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 4:19am
I love long hair .If you asked me I would tell you to grow it out longer since curly hair becomes much more manageable when its longer because of the looser curl, but make sure you also take your face shape/structure into account and of course make sure its how you want it to look
jasikajack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasikajack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 4:45am
Curly hair,you trim your hair and use a wide tooth comb,begin your routine by wetting your hair in the shower. Distribute conditioner on your entire scalp and massage with scalps  with the tips of your fingers,Let the conditioner sit in your hair for five minutes or so for extra moisture. You also may want to part your hair at this point with a comb,part your hair to the side to prevent  triangle-shaped hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic