Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of dreads are these?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fimbulwinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fimbulwinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of dreads are these?
    Posted: January 05 2007 at 4:24pm

Are these even real dreads?

Real or not, how could someone get their hair to look like this?
Hitome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 12:54pm
I don't know but they look cool. They might not look like that in real life though because i think the photo is really trying to create that look.
sisterlyDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sisterlyDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 3:39pm
sincerly, i don' t like these dreads...these aren't real dreadlocks..they don't have soul..it's for shure...why would you like to have dreads like that?
StringyMimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StringyMimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 5:59pm
Hmm... they looked alright but what's up with that weirdo guy?  =)  They seem like dreds to me, but they are not african american hair so they are going to look different.
Rizzler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rizzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 10:38pm
Yea those are crazi iono think they dreads, but if u dig em, u dig em!!
fimbulwinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fimbulwinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 9:50pm
Okay, here's the story.

I am an obsessive guitar and synth player. The weirdo guy is the guitar and synth player (what a surprise) of the band "The Kovenant". He is a true virtuoso musician, and one of my idols. I came across the picture on the band's forum. I have always like the basic look of dreadlocks, but I don't like that "giant mass of hair" quality that dreads usually have.

I found this pic and his hair seemed to have the dreadlock look, but without the tons of volume. So now you know my motives.

I finally asked the "weirdo guy" directly, and it turns out that they were in fact real dreads. I sure wasn't going to harrass the man for further hair styling tips though.

In his pre-dreadlock days, the "weirdo guy" had extremely straight, smooth, silky hair. I'm talking HAIR MODEL hair. That's the only reason I can think of as to why his dreads had that look to them. But then again, I know absolutely nothing about dreads--that's why I asked you folks.
levannah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 9:38pm
As in the photo he looks to have a section of hair that isn't dreaded and from the look of the dreadlocks, I'd say they were synthetic ones, possibly made using human hair rather than Kanekalon (plastic synthetic hair that comes in various textures and literally hundreds of colours.) They seem to taper like synthetic ones, anyway. Some look like they haven't had the thin unbackcombed bit that is often left on the end of a synth dread or an untwisted backcombed bit cut off e.g. the front ones. From the front ones I'd say at least some of them are of the single ended variety.

If you research synthetic dreadlocks you'll constantly hear Kanekalon mentioned as it is usually used for synthetic dreadlocks but I think that human hair was also used because of the way that the colour changes near the root (unless the colour was changed in photoshop) looks like human hair when the roots haven't been dyed for a long time. Also, I haven't seen colour transitions like that done with Kanekalon, but then I'm not a pro. In the front where they twist to a thin bit and then there is backcombed untwisted bit it looks like how dreads made from Kanekalon look before they are finished i.e. after steaming and drying but before cutting and sealing the ends.

I've never used human hair to make synthetic dreadlocks as Kanekalon is a lot cheaper so I can't really tell you how to make ones like in the photo. There are plenty of good tutorials on Youtube about making synthetic dreadlocks with Kanekalon so I'll refer you to there as it would be difficult for me to expain here as I don't have any photos of me making them.
delleaux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delleaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 7:46pm
They look aight! If you ever get a chance check out a book called Dreads! They have all different walks of life sportin dreads!
Dread pride!!!!!@}-----
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic