Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ogilvie Defrizzer reversal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
krishna6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krishna6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ogilvie Defrizzer reversal
    Posted: January 11 2007 at 9:58pm
Can some one help me?  I just used Ogilvie Defrizzer with the intentions of just getting rid of the frizz in my long (waist length) naturally curly hair.  Now all the curls are gone, and it's even frizzier.  Is there a way to reverse this mess?  I am devesated.Cry
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:45am
I'm so sory to hear that! Cry  I have no clue about the defrizzer.  I've never even heard of it.  Is it supposed to be a straightener? 
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
krishna6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krishna6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 1:01pm
No, it's suppose to "soften" curls & eliminate frizz.  Instead it horribly straighned my hair and frizzed it more than it was prior.  I am sick to my stomach...thinking about my husband's word "Honey, your hair is you most beautiful feature"...I am heartbroken.  I called Olgivie, and they told me it had to grow out...I have 10 years worth of hair here!  I didn't even use the entire bottle!  All Olgivie could suggest is to wash it (I have done so 4x since last night) and I can still smell the product.  I believe it to be a straightner, so if there's any "straightner" reversal available...I'd love to know about it.Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 5:37pm
That's terrible!!  I think if it were me, I'd call Olgilvie again and tell them I want my money back at least.  I'm so feeling your pain!  I wish there was something I could do! Unhappy
sarah
40 inches
krishna6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krishna6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 6:05pm
Thanks!  I just went to Sally's ( a professional haircare store) and a hairdresser there told me to use Infusiam's leave in conditioner, along w/a pH balancing shampoo and conditioning treatemnts.  My hair was exactly like yours in the photo! I can't stress how badly it I want it back!Ouch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 5:52pm
I really hope that works for you!!  I've used Infusium in the past.  I'm so glad you found someone who could help you.
sarah
40 inches
krishna6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krishna6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 7:36pm
Thank You!  As of today, my hair has regained some of it's softness (still feels like a bad horse tail).  Currently I am sitting here with a "Ion" Brand deep conditioning treatment.  I did this Friday night and saw a great improvement Saturday night.  I managed to get some curl/wave back with some Frieda mousse and a hair dryer diffuser.  What a mess I created...and the money I spent (appx. $60.00 so far) on a $10.00 defrizzing treatment. 
jerseygirlmi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseygirlmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 4:47pm
I absolutely LOVE this product and it works great for me. I have pretty curly hair, not incredibly kinky, but frizzes up without the right products (try Zero Frizz Hair Serum as well). I find that leaving it on for about 45 minutes to an hour works wonders - forget the 20 minutes they suggest - that's probably why it didn't work for you. But this product does not damage your hair and if you use a good conditioner like Aussie's 3-minute miracle on the second day and following, your 'defrizzed' situation will last a lot longer. Good Luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseygirlmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 4:51pm
I was referring to leaving the Ogilvie Defrizzer in for 45 minutes to an hour - not the Zero Frizz Serum - the latter should be applied to your hair after towel drying and actually makes it really soft and controls the frizz with amazing results - and it's cheap too - a great value at only around $4.69 (Walmart) for a 4 oz bottle - I love both these products, and believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING - LOL.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 1:30pm
An interesting side note about the Ogilvie Defrizz product.  It was first introduced on the market in 2002and was featured in the beauty mags like Glamour and similar.  It's still available (as of 2011) in some mass stores and drugs, but it can be very harsh on hair (as described above).  The reason?  It's a temporary relaxer and thus does cause the natural texture bonds in the hair to be broken to allow hair to be relaxed or straighten.  The good news...it does eventually wash out...and quickly compared to some other relaxers on the market.

If you want to try this product but are unsure, either talk to your professional hairdresser or just apply to a very small section of your hair in an underneath section where you can see what it does without impacting all of your hair.

I would love to hear if anyone else has used this product recently and what your results have been.  Did you love it, hate it, have problems, no problems?  How long did it last before the results fell out?
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseygirlmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 1:47pm
Hi Karen ~

I posted those comments 4 years ago - WOW! (time flies ;)

Interestingly enough, I actually just did a treatment on my hair about a month ago and it looks beautiful. I am getting tons of compliments at work, from friends, family, etc. And I left it in for almost an hour. Keep in mind - it's not a relaxer, it won't straighten your hair - it does 'soften/loosen' the curls and get rid of (most of) the frizz. As time goes on, it 'fades' away, instead of growing out like a relaxer does. It also doesn't 'break' your hair. I still use a anti-frizz serum daily, but really - I'm thrilled with this Ogilvie product.

I had recently trimmed my hair (myself since no one knows how to cut curly hair around here) and have been using Bumble&Bumble Curl Conscious Shampoo for about 2 months now. It's a little pricey - about $21 for a month or so-worth sized bottle - but every other shampoo on the market that actually worked for curly hair, no longer exists (par for the course). So, I must also add that my hair was also in really good condition prior to applying the DeFrizzer treatment and have realized that this is key to the quality of the treatment results. I also believe that patience and properly applying the solutions is another factor - rushing through this process and/or improperly applying the treatment will not give you the best/desired results.

Anyway, hope this helped!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 7:53am
Originally posted by jerseygirlmi jerseygirlmi wrote:

Hi Karen ~

I posted those comments 4 years ago - WOW! (time flies ;)

Interestingly enough, I actually just did a treatment on my hair about a month ago and it looks beautiful. I am getting tons of compliments at work, from friends, family, etc. And I left it in for almost an hour. Keep in mind - it's not a relaxer, it won't straighten your hair - it does 'soften/loosen' the curls and get rid of (most of) the frizz. As time goes on, it 'fades' away, instead of growing out like a relaxer does. It also doesn't 'break' your hair. I still use a anti-frizz serum daily, but really - I'm thrilled with this Ogilvie product.

I had recently trimmed my hair (myself since no one knows how to cut curly hair around here) and have been using Bumble&Bumble Curl Conscious Shampoo for about 2 months now. It's a little pricey - about $21 for a month or so-worth sized bottle - but every other shampoo on the market that actually worked for curly hair, no longer exists (par for the course). So, I must also add that my hair was also in really good condition prior to applying the DeFrizzer treatment and have realized that this is key to the quality of the treatment results. I also believe that patience and properly applying the solutions is another factor - rushing through this process and/or improperly applying the treatment will not give you the best/desired results.

Anyway, hope this helped!

Hi Jersey,

Thanks for the update.  It sounds like Ogilvie does the trick for you.  It also sounds as you described it that its not at all like a relaxer.  Which makes me wonder, have you ever tried a relaxer like Rusk or Phytorelaxer or similar?  It sounds like Ogilvie gives you just enough smoothing and defrizzing but allows you to maintain your natural texture.

The big question is why does it work so well for you but not others?  Do you think its because your hair is generally in very good condition?  Or do you think its because of your hair's nature texture which is compatible with smoothing?  Certainly a good question because I hear so many mixed reactions to the product but you obviously get amazing results.

Thank you so much for all your tips and feedback.  I think if you can cut your own hair or at least trim it, that's a great option.  I actually trim/cut my own ends rather than risk having too much trimmed/cut off.

I hope its not too cold or snowy where you're at.  Have a great weekend.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
suprax125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suprax125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 9:16am
krishna6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krishna6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 12:28am
Wow...can't believe people still look at this...so many years later.  I was the original post...and yeah that Olgivie De-frizzer...ruined my hair.  It acted as a relaxer.  I lost my curls and gained undefined frizz.  It was horrible.  Had to do weekly deep conditioing treatments under a dryer and kept cutting an inch a month off for a year! 

I learned my lesson...I have a new found love for my curls and I will never, ever play roulette with them again. :-)

I do use Frizz serums...thou I wish there was something that was inbetween thick (Frizz Ease) and thin (Bio silk) that did not leave my hair unevenly shiny and wet looking.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic