Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair severly tangled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rondooney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair severly tangled
    Posted: January 24 2007 at 12:01pm
I have a customer that has hair past her waist.  She came into my shop 2 weeks ago and wanted me to comb her hair out, she had been sick and it had gotten tangled.  She came into the salon and OH MY GOSH....I have never seen anything like it.  It was notted to her scalp in one big knot the size of a grapefrit on the back of her nape.  I didn't know what to do... I called the local beauty school for advice and they told me to put her under the dryer w/ oil on her hair and I may comb it out that way.  The customer didn't want to try that.... and I don't think that would work because her hair was heavy like it had gotten solified.  The customer does not want to cut her hair.  I don't even know how to cut it because it is infused to her scalp.  She left that day...but she called back and is coming this Monday and wants me to do something....she wants it untangled at any cost!!! and if nothing works she'll let me cut it......any suggestions what to do and what to charge her?????Please someone HELP!!!!!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 9:51pm
It is natural for hair to dreadlock if left unbrushed or unkempt. I've actually seen kids in my salon who's parents don't brush their hair because they say it hurts their head. Well upon closer inspection it was beginning to lock....the early stages of forming dread locks.

The oil under the dryer is a good idea though I've never tried it. You could try some Chi Silk Infusion and lightly comb from the ends to the scalp until all of it is untangled. In severe cases the only option is cutting the hair out or slicing it out with a razor to unlock the hair. It will take you a long time but if you work slowly and patiently you should be able to get it combed out. Good luck....sounds like you have a total mess on your hands. If everything fails the only option is cutting it out. You can explain to her that the natural tendency of hair is for it to dreadlock if left unbrushed and unkempt.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 12:21am
Paul Mitchell The Detangler, works wonders. You'll have to work at it, but if there is any product that will do it, that is it.

You can also use grapeseed oil. It is actually the detangling ingredient in The Detangler.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
rondooney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 7:11pm
thanks for the advice.  My customer came in today.  We had to give her a real short haircut....it was like a shag.  I can't explain how tangled her hair was.  It looked matted together and looked like it had been singed together.  There was a knot as big as a grapefruit...it was solid .... it probably weight 3lbs.......i have never seen anything like it.  I tried oil, conditioner, detangler.....nothing worked.   I worked on her for 4 hours and we decided to cut.   thanks for the support!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 10:59am
I'm so sorry to hear that. Oh well, it will grow back. Hopefully she wasn't too upset.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic