Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want product that gives hair weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Loralye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loralye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want product that gives hair weight
    Posted: January 29 2007 at 9:18pm
EmbarrassedDoes anyone know of hair products that actually give hair "weight"? It seems that most of  the females from this generation have been straightening/flat-ironing their hair (myself included) for at least 10 years now....So from doing this,  my hair is now completely dried out/over processed,  so is alot of other girls hair.  I"ve gone to plenty of Beauty supply stores/salons,  and asked it they had something to give hair "weight".  They say "OH yes,  I think this product does!",  and they read the label and it says "Deep conditioning,  blah blah, leaves hair weightless".   This goes on for several more products,  and they finally say "I guess there is no such product".   I've tried all the gels,  mousses, pomades, waxes,  oh  ton's of different oils,  shines,  hair repair conditioners....ect..they just make your hair stiff,  sticky and feel dirty and my hair still has no weight.   My hair is actually thick,  and is mid-way down my back,  and a couple of years ago,  I could pick it up and drop it,  and it would actually make a bit of a thud when it fell on my back...Now I pick it up and drop it,  nothing..it barely floats down.  I want "weight " with some "swing".   So please,  if anyone knows of a product,  I don't even care of the cost,  whether it be store bought or home remedy,  please let me know about it.   Thanks so much.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 7:40am
Well, that is the new fad with the silicone conditioners, to have a deep conditioner than doesn't add weight because the one thing people always complained about was after a few uses, their hair going "limp".  I still have an old bottle of pantene conditioner full of the old formula, that definitely weighs down and makes my hair limp...I haven't bought a new bottle in years, so I don't know if they've changed their formula as well, but you could try pantene.  Its really only 4 uses with the stuff that my hair is so weighed down it looks bad.  If the new stuff doesn't do it, you might try the discount stores to see if they have any old pantene (trust me, there are so many preservatives in it, that brand doesn't ever go bad like some do!).  Be aware that if you use silicones to weigh down your hair, it is a good idea to strip them off every couple of months because they build up and make a coat around the hair shaft.  Over time the coat can start to look dull, then crack and break your hair off with it, leaving you with split, dried out hair.  Removing the old 'cone coat every 2 months with a clarifying shampoo then replacing with a new coat will keep your hair from getting buildup damage.  (Clarifying shampoo should not be used more frequently than that, especially since you want to keep a weight coat on yours - it will make your hair feel like straw when you use it, but 2 coats of a 'cone conditioner after that will fix it right up).

If you don't wind up finding a silicone conditioner that adds weight, you can try oil.  Use one or two drops of oil on dry hair, from the ears down only, brush it through to spread it.  It should not look greasy or get oil on your clothes, if it does you used too much, wash it out and use less next time.  Good ones are jojoba oil, coconut, or you can even try olive oil from the grocery just to see if it works for you.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Loralye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loralye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 5:03pm

Thanks Susan!  I know what you mean about Pantene!  When that stuff first hit the shelves,  it was awesome!  I don't really know why,  when a company makes an excellent product,  they feel they have to tamper with the formula,  and come out with a "new and improved" product that is always garbage,  plus jack the price up for it.  Do you remember shampoo and conditioner called "Body on Tap"?  It was great stuff!  Don't know why they ever took that off the market ....  Okay so if I see a discount store,  I'll be sure to check it out and see what I can find,  it's definately worth a shot.

Oh and your description about the build up of silicone products,  maybe thats one of my problems right there....the busted off dull hair part certainly describes me!  (Ha! pretty picture I paint!) So,  I'll get some clairify lotion this week and see what happens.  What brand of conditioner has silicone in it??  Mostly all? 

As far as oils go,  they don't seem to do much for me.   When I first put it on,  it looks great,  but an hour or so later,  my hair is all dry again.   I put it on a few times a day,  but at the end of the day,  it's still weightless and dead looking again,  but thanks for trying to help.  I am going to try the olive oil right now though,  cause I have some in the kitchen and I was just about to wash my hair anyway,  so I'll do that first and see how it feels.    Thanks  sooo much for your advice and time Susan,

Loralye
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 6:58am
Most conditioners do have silicones, I've found pantene to be the heaviest of all I've tried, (but again that's that old formula).  As a general rule, look for words in the ingredients that end in "cone" or "one", and the higher up they are in the ingredients, the more of it there is in the bottle. 

If you do have bad buildup, you may be in for a shock when you use the clarifying shampoo, I just want to warn you beforehand.  It will make your hair feel very brittle, and you may actually see more breakage - but you may as well do it anyway because your hair breakage can't be prevented if you've got a buildup coat that is going to keep breaking off on its own.  Just be prepared to do a heavy moisturizing after you do your clarifying wash....you can even use mayonnaise (fatty one, not the fat free stuff, and not miracle whip) and leave it on your hair for an hour, then wash it out with a regular shampoo.  Its eggs and oils are an excellent moisturizer....then even if you do use it, I'd still condition once or twice after that to get your hair past that stripped and brittle clarified state. 

What you say about oil sounds like your hair is super thirsty.  I think the heat is probably more the cause of your trouble than the silicone buildup, as you've said.  If its really that dry, there may not be too much you can do other than keeping a fresh coat of 'cones' on it to keep it looking good until healthier hair grows out. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic