Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hesitant to perm my hair again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Isa123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hesitant to perm my hair again
    Posted: February 09 2007 at 12:17pm
 Hello everybody.

A long while ago I posted a question about tips to prepare my hair for a perm.  I've tried the perming short after I posted the message and was very happy with the result.  Just the smell, that could be improved, but we all know how awefull it is (anybody in here who loves that smell must be nuts, LOL )

Anyway, because a whole length of my hair is now in curls (was curled with big benders, so it's still pretty loose) I want to perm it again.  I recently did a glacing/glazing, so I still wait for this to get out of my hair, which could take approx. 1-2 months, but I hesitate of doing it again.  When I see people's experiences and hair pictures and advice here, they usually say any chemical job is a NO-NO if you really want healthy, nice looking hair.

I try to avoid as much damage as possible, but for some reason, I still want to get it permed.  It's becoming a bigger dilemma with each and every day.  Soon, somebody is going to have to tie me to the bed or I'm going to go nuts. Embarrassed

In case I get the perm, what can I do in advance?  I've heard various things, from sleeping a night with conditioner, some say olive oil, others say mayo, other say hair masks, and then some say "get the perm already"
Any help with this dilemma?

Thanks!
Team Ehwaz - Team #14044 - Use the idle time of your computer to make a difference. Join now! Statistics:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&te amnum=14044
StringyMimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StringyMimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 5:19pm
LOL I feel you all the way!  You sound just like me.  I want my perm back too.
I think you should go and have it deep conditioned a couple times (wait like a month or more if you can, you know?) and then go back and get it.  The heart wants what it wants.  =)
sollenne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sollenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 6:31pm
I would like to perm my hair aswell...but I do not know what kind of curls I should get....I don't want to look like a poodle or like I just stepped out of the 80's...ya know what I mean....any advise out there??
**sarah**
StringyMimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StringyMimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:19pm
Use the bigger sized rods.  I like kinky curls and poodle hair so I use the smallest ones on the market, but the bigger the perm rod, the looser and bigger the curl. 
Isa123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 6:01am
The last time I got a perm, the hair was rolled on benders.  I'm considering to ask for big rollers this time, since I would like a bit tighter curls.  I'm happy already with the perm I got the first time, since it was a success and removed my doubt.  The only thing that is bad about it is the fact that it takes so long and that the odor isn't the nicest one around.  I've smelled worse things however.  The waiting period for perm + neutraliser is long, especially if you have to lie with your hair back the entire time.
Team Ehwaz - Team #14044 - Use the idle time of your computer to make a difference. Join now! Statistics:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&te amnum=14044
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic