Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cotton candy hair!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
villegas_271 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote villegas_271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cotton candy hair!!
    Posted: March 02 2007 at 6:15am
i have a big problem ,
let me start with  i had long hair down to my butt,
i went to a beauty salon and asked for long layered sprial perm, when i mad the appt, i told the hair stylest i had home dyed my hair 3 week before, no problem she said ok i asked her to cut 2 inches off befor my perm ,
well this is what happened she rolled my hair with cat, ( didn`t do a stand test , i know about now)then put in a extra body perm
left it in for about 5 min`s the rinsed me and took out the rollers my hair was striped, and my ends were fried, i told her i looked like twisted sister, she couldn`t get me out  of there soon  enough, through some conditoner and cat at me and said to put it in my hair and leave it in , that my hair would relax, i paid her 107.00 for this i trusted her, well here i am 2 weeks and i have cotton candy hair it`s falling out the ends are stright and brittle, i called her and told her she wanted to strighten my hair, and said it was my fault because i had bad hair, i went to a professional to have my hair done , and it looks like my 4 year old did my hair, she was supposed to give me a refund  haven`t seen it , she got  money and i lost my hair and got blamed for it, what can i do beside kick myself in the butt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote villegas_271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 5:27pm
well  i got my refund and less then half of my refund  back along with a nasty note, saying they felt they did no wrong and didn`t feel i should recieve any refund since i didn`t  give them the chance to fix my hair yea right bad enough the hair i had to my butt is now to my shoulders, if i could i`d sue the @%7%&, .
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 2:35pm
First, I feel badly for you.

IMHO, the stylist should have known that this outcome was likely because you had told her you had just colored your hair, and should have advised you to reconsider the perm (or refused to do it).  I may be technically mistaken; perhaps perming on top of coloring doesn't damage hair these days, but AFAIK, the combination of processes is very damaging.

The strand test in advance is always a good idea.  You can use a week's worth of fallout strands for this purpose.

Again, IMHO, consider yourself fortunate that you got any refund.  I would advise against different processes applied to the same hair, in the future.

In the meantime, you may want to use lots of deep conditioners (reconstructors), and oil your hair too.

Best of luck on the grow-out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote villegas_271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 3:28pm

thanks it`s always nice to hear kind words, i`m starting to get scared i`m loosing alot of hair it`s just falling out.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 4:32pm
If it's breaking off mid-strand, well, I guess that's to be expected given what's transpired.  If it's falling out from the root (in higher quantities than normal), that's cause for concern. I'll assume it's "merely" breakage (still, not a happy state).
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 2:28am
You should really get it cut. this happend to me once,almost exact same scenerio.
I had dyed blonde hair and wanted some body to my hair,so I went to ask about a perm. I was sure to ask the lady if it would damge my hair too much.
She said,"No,we have perms for people like you"

In the car on the way home,if I even touched my hair the ends would come off in my hands.It was horrible.Once at home in the bathroom,I took the scissors and cut it up to my ears. It may not have looked that great,but it saved the rest of my hair from breaking off.
A few months later,after severely conditioning,I had straightened it myself at home.I had to have it short for about 6 months because of damage.
I also vowed to never,ever get a perm for as long as I live again!

LLJones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 10:50am
A good test that you can do at home to see if your hair can handle a perm is to take a couple of strands of hair right from your scalp and lay them out on a table.  Cut 2 or 3 inches off the bottom of the strand and place them into a clear glass containing room temp water. If the hair sinks, that section of hair cannot be permed as it is too porous.  If you don't mind cutting off 2 to 3 inches cut another section and see if that sinks or floats. If the hair sinks there is  no cuticle layer left on the hair to protect against harsh chemicals.  If it floats there is enough cuticle layer to help protect the hair, but remember perm solution is strong and the cuticle layer will still be damaged more.  Continue to do this untill the hair floats on the water, this will show you how  much of your hair is damaged and how far up the strand will be fried by a perm if you have it done.  I always tend to tell my clients that they have to choose between colour and perms on hair longer than chin length.  I tend not to want to do both services.

This is a test I do on all my clents that come to me asking for a perm and it is a visual test for them to see  how bad or good their hair is.  It gets me off the hook when I tell them that I won't give them a perm.  It's not me saying the hair is damaged, their hair is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote villegas_271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 10:54am

any ideas on what i  can use to build my hair back up

i`m using pink , and sunsilk

anything better out there?

LLJones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 11:06am
Your hair needs protien.  Look for products that contain that and not oils.  Hair masques and leave in conditioners are great.  Leave these on over night if you want.  Tread your hair like a really expensive silk blouse.  No  hot water, do not stretch the hair when you comb it.  (Wide tooth comb on wet hair...  Brush on dry but I would not recomend that you brush you hair at all.)  Do not pull your hair back when it is wet into clips, as when it dries it will shrink and pull causing more breakage. 
Get into good shampoo  and wash your hair only when it needs.  there is no need to wash every day unless your roots get really oily but then I would only wash your roots and not the ends.
If your hair is really breaking lots, then you do need ot cut some of that off.  I know that is not what you want to hear but it will save some more of the lenght that you have.

I love the Goldwell products Kerasilk.  The ultra rich care shampoo and treatment I find are the best and Osmo deep hair repair masque are my favorite.

The less that you can do to your hair the better it will be.  If you need more advice feel free to PM me.

Edited by LLJones - March 05 2007 at 11:37am
vikki7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vikki7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 2:32am
You can try an epsom salt treatment to rebuild the salt bonds that have been damaged. Wash hair with a high quality shampoo, such as Pureology(pretty expensive,but REALLY worth it!). Towel dry (do not RUB hair, simply squeeze gently!) to remove most of moisture. Mix 1oz. of epsom salts into 7 oz. of very hot water. Shake until salt is dissolved, apply to hair and cover with plastic cap. Apply heat for approx.15-20 mins. DO NOT RINSE!Apply a generous amount of deep conditioner/reconstructor
to hair. Once again, Pureology, or any comparable PROFESSIONAL product should be used (now is not the time to worry about saving a few bucks!). There is a reason these products cost so much.....they WORK! Trust me!;-)Re-bag hair & reapply heat for another 20 mins. or so. Rinse hair. Be careful to comb hair when wet, never use a brush on wet hair, this causes alot of damage even on healthy hair! Do 1 or 2 treatments a week to heal hair. You will notice a  difference after the very first one, and a DRASTIC difference after the 2nd. After you have hair healthy again, you can do one treatment a month to maintain it. Good Luck! Let me know how it goes.

suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:19am
salt to rebuild hair?? never heard of that
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic